1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shot an IPDA style match today and shot a little over 100 rounds of my own reloads- 5.2 gr W231/230gr TMJ (WIN brass)

No FTF!! All loaded and fired fine.
I did so-so in the match. Not the ammo's fault.

One problem is that the loads are the lightest I ever shot so shooting plates at 15 and 25 yards were much different this time around. Point of impact is a lot different at 25 yds with this light load as compared to the other reloads I've shot before. It's like the bullets are being "lobbed" to the target. :)

May need to try 200 grainers next match. Or add a bit more powder with the 230 gr bullets.

But at least all the rounds fired fine- and that's what I was really hoping to find.

At ranges from 3- 10 yrds, I was hitting everything fine. But from 15-25, things went south. Could have been my aim too. I'm not exactly a "bullseye" shooter. I have fixed sights so I'm going to have to load something that hits just right at 25. Next match, I'll up the charge to 5.3 grains and see if that shoots 'em a bit flatter for when I move to 25 yds.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Glad to hear your ammo worked. I remember my first batch of ammo that I reloaded by myself. Mine mostly worked ok:) ...

If you increase your charge of 231, you might want to go more than just 1 tenth at a time. One tenth of a grain of 231 won't make much difference in velocity. Try going .3 tenths of a grain per increase. Also check your manuel as my Sierra book says the max on 230 grain Jacket bullets is 5.8... Just be careful and work it up .3 tenths at a time. In other words try 5.5 grains of 231 this time around....Work up a load for 25 yard zero and your 10 yard stuff will shoot just a little high. Try a Center hold at 25 yards---point of aim.........then at 10 yards try a 6 O'clock hold. It should work.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Congratulations Chief!

I agree with Condo45 in that you probably should increase your loads by about .3 grains at a time.
My data shows loads of up to 6.2 grains of 231.
After some experimentation, I decided on a charge of 5.6 grains of 231 with a 230 TMJ, just like Valkman says.
It works just fine for me in my matches, and has plenty of "oomph" to knock over the steel plates.
Good Luck!
MAG-63

BTW, at our matches the other shooters actually help you recover your brass after you've shot your stage, so you don't lose any of it.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Good job

Chief.. keep putting them out...

I use 5.2 grns with the 230 Gr. Berry's plated bullets and they shoot just fine at 25 yds.. no sense in making bullets that will kick your hand in if your don't have to.

these chrono around 740-760 FPS for my 1911.. WLP's mixed brass.. Makes major for USPSA..

good luck and take your time and be careful.

Brass, yeah usually we loose it but most matches as long as you don't interfere with the shooting you can scrounge it up or after the match you can pick it up..

Shot a Cowboy match with my brother in Whicita couple weeks ago, heck they DETAIL someone on the Possy to pick up brass and hulls from the shotgun.. pretty neat way to do it was a fun match.

Jeff.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
picking up brass

I recovered almost all the brass. The match was a "friendly" match at a private range. We policed the area after each string and threw all the brass in buckets. Mine was marked with a "V" so it was easy to spot.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
blaming it on the powder :)

I know it sounds typical to find blame on something other than the shooter-- but :D -- It's a minimum charge of only 5.1 grains of w231 with a 230 gr bullet. I never did try to shoot the load at 25 yds to see where it shot with my fixed sights. I think it's shooting much lower than what I was shooting before. That's my fault, no doubt about it. I just didn't think it would be that dramatic a difference. But seeing as I cannot adjust my sights for elevation I need to find a charge weight that gets it on the plates at 25 yds. without having to aim over the plates or on top of the plates.

Thanks for the advice. I'll check my manuals too. But I have access to a few different manuals and max loads seem to differ greatly from book to book for the same type bullet and powder. So that confuses me a bit sometimes.

I'm sure going from 5.1 to 5.5 gr W231 will be safe regardless. And should change the flight path at 25 yds quite a bit.
I can only give it a try! :) That's what reloading is all about.

Of course- had we not shot anything at 25 yds, this 5.1 gr load would not have been an issue. From 3 to 10 yds it shot great. Most of the matches I shoot there normally stay within 15 yds. They threw in 25 yd plates for the hell of it this time.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
It's always interesting to find what works in your gun. Alot of guys think my 5.6gr of 231 is too hot, but it groups better in my 4" Kimbers than anything lighter. It was neat to keep moving up in load and watch the group get tighter and tighter. Just take a few loads and you'll know which one works the best. :)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Agree that half the fun of reloading is working up a load to find out the right "mix" that works best.
Both my SA loaded`s are right on the money with 230 gr. and 5.7 gr of 231. Shoot one hole and use that as point of aim and it will just make a bigger hole. They are definitly more accurate than I am.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I also shoot 231 w/ 230gr JRN bullets. My load is 5.6gr and it shoots fine.

I'm going to try 231 with some 200 grainers looking for a flatter long range trajectory , just a test.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Right, I was just about to suggest a lighter bullet, even 185.

Shoots flatter, less of a drop with light charge.

I shoot about the same load as you describe, which is why I like my adjustable sights for competition! I've had to adjust them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts