1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a used KZ45 full size and was finnaly able to shoot it, it choked on everything I put through it. I tryed Winchester, Remington and PMC 230 ball and none of it fed even half of a magazine without a problem. It would not feed the first or last round of either mag, plus it choked in the middle of each mag (one more than the other). I will be contacting Wilson on monday to see what can be done. For the price and reputation of Wilson combat, this thing should feed bullet shaped rocks. And to think I sold a SIG to purchase this, I am Pissed.

Does your KZ feed this stuff?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Napa Nick, Welcome to the forum.

First you bought a used weapon and you don't know how it was used or taken care of, so I think that blaming Wilson for a used pistol you bought on a public forum is not the best thing you could be doing.

That said Wilson has awesome customer service and they do not care if your pistol is used or if you are the original owner. Call Wilson on Monday let them know what you bought and the problems you are having, send it in for them to repair if it is not user err that is.

Did you break the gun down and clean it real good, inspect it and lube it before you shot it? Not knowing how many rounds have been through it springs many need to be changed including the mag's along with regular maintenance done to it. There are alot of unknowns with a used gun it could have thousands of rounds through it, all gun's need maintenance and care. Just because it say's Wilson or any top name company on the slide doesn't mean it can be neglected and it will run perfect everytime.

CG.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Kz 45

My full size, has around 1,500 rounds thru it (various ammo, mostly Wolf) with a hic-up. I'm sure Wilson will take care of You - don't give up yet - KZ's are shooters ! Bob

·
Registered
462 Posts
Napa Nick said:
For the price and reputation of Wilson combat, this thing should feed bullet shaped rocks.And to think I sold a SIG to purchase this, I am Pissed.Does your KZ feed this stuff?
Napa Nick,

While I sympathize with your frustration, there's a few things you should know:

First off, your statement that Wilson Combat pistols should feed rocks is unrealistic. Wilson Combat lists recommended ammo that their pistols will feed reliably. If you wander off this list, all bets are off. If it feeds reliably, consider yourself lucky, otherwise you're on your own.

The paperwork that came with the KZ-45 (if you got it with the purchase) should have the recommended ammo listing. Alternatively, the listing is also located on Wilson Combat's website.

Secondly, since it's used, there's no telling if its present condition or the way it was treated before it found its way to you has anything to do with the FTFs you're experiencing.

In the end, if it's the gun, Wilson Combat will work with you to get it running...

·
Registered
462 Posts
One other interesting point:

The paperwork that came with my Wilson Combat discusses why FMJs (Read: Ball) is the most difficult to get running in 1911 pistols. This is primarily due to OAL variations.

Acording to Wilson Combat, the ideal 230 Gr. Ball has the following characteristics:

1.250" to 1.260" OAL, with 1.255 being optimal
.468" to .470" taper crimp at the case mouth, with .468" being optimal
800-850 FPS muzzle velocity
Tight bullet to case fit to prevent OAL shifts when feeding in the chamber

That said, Wilson Combat only recomended two FMJs: S&B 230 Gr. and Federal American Eagle 230 Gr.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Some thoughts

I have two KZs, one of each size. I had minor problems with each. Wilson's went through some quality control problems a while back, about which the explanations vary. They were very responsive to my needs, though, and even fitted a customized safety to one of them when they had to work on it more than once. Both, especially the full size, are staggeringly accurate, even with ammo they don't feed well!
I've learned a lot since buying those guns. One important thing is that the chambers on their barrels are made to match specs, so they don't tolerate ammo that's a little off. (And such fitting is generally wasted on me.) Also, I have found their chamber cleaning tool to be a worthy investment due to the tightness of their specs. Wilsons has good reason, based on experience, for their ammo recommendations. WWB is not a favored load there, for example, and I have had trouble with it, but my duty load (Ranger 230 +p SXT) works just fine.
They have also changed their mags for the KZs a little, and I did some playing with the new ones for them. The springs were stout, and sucked to load, but I'd had no trouble with the old or new mags.
Give' em a call; they keep a good history on any gun they've made, and are very helpful. Describe the symptoms, and avoid being as crabby as me, and you should get pretty far.
The biggest issue for me has been that the frames are a little different sized in the dust cover which makes holsters a pain to buy. Sparks was great on the process of sending them a gun for fitting when I ordered from them. I do really wish my 070 fit ...

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have a 1996 service grade protector compact built by Wilson on a Springfield Compact. I started to have some failures to feed the 2nd round just this summer. They went away as soon as I replaced my magazine springs. Also this is the first time I have ever had to replace any magazine springs since I started shooting 1911 style 45's in the mid 60's. I believe it's a problem with putting seven rounds in magazine designed for 6. But as long as a simple magazine spring change solves the problem I'll live with it. you might want to try a new magazine also just to see if it might be a mag spring problem.

·
Banned
1,342 Posts
They have modified the extractor since the first run of guns.
I had some problems with mine at first (25th one made), but some judicious tuning of the extractor and spring cured it.

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for the reply's to my post gentlemen.

Let me clarify my thoughts a bit, so as not to sound like a crazy person.

In my frustration with my new weapon, my post may have sounded like I was flaming Mr. Wilson and his guns, and it was not my intent. Quite the opposite actually, from what I know about Wilson's guns I was disappointed that this one did not live up to the standards that are expected by Mr. Wilson. The reputation for reliability is a well established fact that has sold many guns, and is the reason people trust their lives to them. The fact that the performance did not mirror the expectation was upsetting to me, thus, the post.

I inspected the gun when I received it to verify the low round count listed by the seller. A gunsmith looked at it and agreed it was shot very little.
Then, I pulled it apart and lubed it as per Wilson's instructions using Wilson products.

The ammo that worked worse than anything else, was Federal American Eagle, which is on their list. As far as using ammo not on the list, I refer to a conversation I had with a Wilson representative before I purchased my gun, and it is the same conversation I just had yesterday to verify what I heard the first time around, which is this: "That list is going on 15 years old now, and at the time, the Federal American eagle worked well, but it is not as good as it use to be, but it should still function". "As for the list in general, there is talk that we are going to eliminate it fairly soon as most American made factory ammunition is pretty consistent". "With the exception of a bad lot, these guns should feed, shoot and extract any commercially available American made ammo reliably."

If my SIG can shoot anything I put through it, and do so with 100% reliability AND shoot 2” groups with some of it at 25 yards, I know it is not asking too much of a gun such as a Wilson. to do the same.

When I spoke to the factory guys yesterday, they offered the same great customer service I had read about before I purchased my gun, the same service you have all eluded to in your posts. I sent them the gun today, they said they would fix the FTF problem, plus a couple other things we talked about, and send it back quickly. They also offered to offset the cost of shipping by giving me a mag or two for my trouble.
I have every confidence they will take care of me to my satisfaction, as they advertise on their web site. Its just such a bummer to open up your rough rider BB gun with the compass in the stock that Santa left under the tree as per your letter, only to find it broken .........FUDGE!

·
Registered
514 Posts
my compact kz was shooting bullseyes out of the box at 15yd,s. its one of my best shooters and it gets mostly wally world white box ammo.no problems

·
Registered
735 Posts
Kudos to Wilson then for taking your used gun, fixing it and then off setting the shipping cost with some Wilson mag's! WOW.

CG.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Mamybe you bought my old KZ

Research my post on the KZ to see why I got rid of mine. Seems like it was having the same problem you are now.
Good Luck,
Chris

·
Registered
661 Posts
My friend Jim bought a used KZ-45 couple years ago. He started having failures to feed and we found it was a weak magazine spring. With a different mag it feeds fine. Mine feeds anything and everything with no failures in several hundred rounds.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a 2nd Gen KZ. It is a truly a working Horse. Will eat anything put down it's throat. It now proudly wears a Milt Sparks (IQM) specially made for my left handed habit. Hopefully it will come back a keeper.

Irv

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
"Does your KZ feed this stuff?"

Gotta remember NO 1911 will feed like a SIG all of the time, even a SS. Mag sprigs are regular maint. items, just like recoil springs. With a SIG you can get away with murder compared to a 1911 with springs!

Own KZ was used and has never missed a beat, like the other poster says it's virtually as accurate as WC's high-end guns. Mine eats the not rec'd. Ranger T-Series 230's easily. Then again what other maker has the cajones to advise what runs best and what does not run in their pistols? You have to give them a lot of credit for that!
If I wasn't the 1st owner and they were paying part of the S&H plus tossing a free $40.00 mag at me {or 2} I'd be happy as a Rat!

My warranty experience with them is that they will probably go thru you pistol from top to bottom for you on "Good Faith" , in other words, just like SIG does when a "problem" gun is sent in...........

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the posts folks, I will let you know how the process goes, as well as the end result. Thanks for giving a new guy help and feed back.

Nick

1 - 16 of 16 Posts