1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All I have to say is wow what a difference those couple hundred feet per second make.Went from shooting Armscor 10mm to Underwood 10mm 180grn FMJ at 1250fps.The gun actually controlled the recoil very well,feels like a 9mm to me.This has 625ft lbs vs 435 for armscor. I will try their 135grn next at 800 ft lbs.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Heh, heh, heh... When I bought my 1006 in the summer of '91, full-house Norma loads were still all you could find. 1,300fps truncated cones, and 1,420fps JHP's!

And then when Master Reloads offered "range" ammo, I don't know what kinda powder they were using... but you could flash fry a hotdog in the muzzle flash! :eek:

10mm was a literal BLAST to shoot in those days! :biglaugh:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah, I can't wait to shoot my new 10. Never shot a 10 before. I have a good friend that's planning on hand loading me some 10 soon. Probably get him to put the heat to a few hundred of 'em.

·
Registered
12,378 Posts
Gotta love 10mm.:rock:

I'd like to see still more 10mm chambered 1911 offerings.

Mine is a Wilson Hunter with double-chamber compensator (an older version no longer offered by Wilson... but it should be).

I'd like another 10mm, possibly a long-slide from EB.

·
Registered
91 Posts
All I have to say is wow what a difference those couple hundred feet per second make.Went from shooting Armscor 10mm to Underwood 10mm 180grn FMJ at 1250fps.The gun actually controlled the recoil very well,feels like a 9mm to me.This has 625ft lbs vs 435 for armscor. I will try their 135grn next at 800 ft lbs.
Try some 155's at about 1450 fps. You might have to get some hand loads for a really serious 10mm round. What 10mm do you have?

Yeah, I can't wait to shoot my new 10. Never shot a 10 before.
What pistol do you have?

I've been shooting 10mm since 1992, and love it. It was a G20, never warmed up to the Glock, but love the caliber. I now have a Ruger SR1911 in 10mm. The 1911 chassis seems to handle it very well; when shooting .45 ACP from my Springfield 1911 and then switching to the Ruger, the recoil is pretty similar. You can still tell the 10mm has more punch. I compare it to someone putting their hand on your shoulder and moderately pushing you (.45), so someone giving you a hard shove (10mm).

There's a lot of latitude for handloading it, from loads as mild or maybe even milder than a .40 cal, up to something as stiff as a .357 Magnum, only better.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Gotta love 10mm.:rock:

I'd like to see still more 10mm chambered 1911 offerings.

Mine is a Wilson Hunter with double-chamber compensator (an older version no longer offered by Wilson... but it should be).

I'd like another 10mm, possibly a long-slide from EB.
Those Wilson Hunters are cool guns.

I’m just beginning to get into 10mm 1911 after coming from a G20.

I’m already enjoying the round more in my two 1911 pistols. Sights, trigger and feel on a 1911 are hard not to love.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
From mild to wild !!!

The 10mm can cover it.

·
Banned
7,779 Posts
10mm is fun, I liked mine and way hugely into the caliber for a while.....then I saw the light of .45 super and have not looked back.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,145 Posts
feels like a 9mm to me
Free recoil energy for 10mm is more than three times that of 9mm . . .

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
I have a few 10MM's...Glocks and an XDM 5.25'' model.

I only went with those for now because I wanted to get high-cap pistols and mags while we still could, WA gun grabbers are constantly looking to ban high-cap everything.

One thing I did in order to shoot the hotter Underwood ammo is upgrade the guide rod and switch to a heavier recoil spring. The last thing I want is to batter the frame or another guide rod with a too light of a spring that's already happened. I went with a 24 lbs spring for the Glocks and a 22 lbs spring for the XDM and a lead filled guide rod that's 5 times heavier than the stock rod. They can all still shoot and cycle the lighter loads just fine.

Now any more 10MM's will be 1911's.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
What gun do you own? I love the 10! Sig target ammo is pretty sweet.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Love my S/A TRP 10mm. I know 'felt' recoil is subjective, but to me 10mm is more comfortable to shoot than my TRP .45 ACP.

Grant

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
When I shot 10mm for the first time I wasn't sure what to expect. The XDM makes it pretty civilized.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Earlier this year I shot my buddies Sig p220 legion 10mm and didn’t know what to expect, I was expecting a hard recoil but was pleasantly surprised in that the p220 was quite pleasant with not all that much recoil and quite accurate. It actually seemed to have less recoil than the .45 I was shooting. To be honest I don’t know what kind of ammo my buddie had and I was shooting but it changed my mind on Shooting a 10mm

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Earlier this year I shot my buddies Sig p220 legion 10mm and didn’t know what to expect, I was expecting a hard recoil but was pleasantly surprised in that the p220 was quite pleasant with not all that much recoil and quite accurate. It actually seemed to have less recoil than the .45 I was shooting. To be honest I don’t know what kind of ammo my buddie had and I was shooting but it changed my mind on Shooting a 10mm
So far I've tried it in 5" full rail & 5" 1911's as well as a G20.

Most of what I've run through the G20 was Winchester Silvertip 175gr. It ran reliably, smoothly and with very agreeable recoil. I killed countless water moccasins, rattlesnakes and a couple hogs with it when I was in a swampy hunting club. When I joined the 12,000acre club they told me to "get a G20 and extra mags...and keep it with you whenever you are on the property". First day scouting I found out why. Snakes, gators, hogs everywhere.....and luckily an occasional deer (never could get a 10mm range shot on one, though).

On the way off club grounds was one unpaved road that led to a single paved road that led ultimately to civilization. My mistake was thinking that the first convenience store on that highway was in civilization......it wasn't. Turns out is was way more dangerous after dark than anywhere in that swamp. I realized right away that the meth epidemic was not only real.....but it was in walking distance all around the club grounds. Mad the mistake of fueling up at that store one time....never again. Was glad I'd left the G20 in holster.

Back to recoil....I'm finding my two 5" 1911's are handling really smoothy with 180gr at 1,250+ fps. Confident that I'll work up a 180gr XTP to 1,300-ish that'll handle well and get'r done on the 10mm deer that eluded me those years ago on that club.

Not a thing in the world wrong with that G20....it's just that I'm more comfortable with the 1911, trigger, heft, grips & sights.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts