1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all. I got to go to the SHOT SHOW on Sunday, and the very first stop I made was to the RRA booth. I have a Pro Carry Commander sized 1911 on order with a projected June delivery, so naturally, I wanted to hit the RRA booth first.

First, the show is nothing short of amazing. It is absolutely enormous, overwhelming in fact. I spent the entire day there and figure I saw perhaps 30% of the show. I had a 'scorecard' of people/exhibitors that I wanted to see and had a tough time getting to all of them.

The RRA booth was very impressive, and B-I-G big! Mark Z. and a bunch of his closest friends were there, and the RRA products were beautiful. They had a bunch of their 1911s there, including a Pro Carry finished with the Black-T.

I was taken back by the fact that Mark (and one of his compatriots; sorry, can't remember his name) knew all about my particular pistol and we discussed the build at length. I mean, with all the pistols being built at RRA, they knew very specific details about my particular pistol! It will have bobtailed msh, night sights, 4.5# trigger and Black-T finish. Mark spoke at great length with me in regards to my concerns and desires with this pistol.

The biggest thing that struck me about my conversations there was how dedicated they are towards customer service. Many others (full disclosure: myself included) have voiced serious concerns regarding some holes in RRA customer service in the past, and I will tell you that I got the extremely strong impression that Mark and his fellow RRA people are diligently working to improve that situation. They genuinely want their customers to be happy and it really showed here.

Furthermore, the quality that I saw of these products at the show were second to none. Fit and finish of everything at their booth was not only incredible, I will tell you that owning two RRA AR15s this is typical. Yeah, everyone there puts only their best on display, but I just have to tell you that the RRA products really were top drawer.

Didn't see anything new/earth-shattering from RRA (doesn't mean there wasn't anything new there, but I was distracted! :)) but I can tell you this: if you're thinking about a high-end 1911 or AR but have concerns about customer service, you may want to reconsider those concerns. They really are pushing hard to make RRA the best and boy howdy it really showed.

Can't wait to see my pistol!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Just like you, I am waiting for my second RRA 1911. It's a Pro Carry, that will also be Bob tailed and Black T'd. Only added feature that I will have is a "french border" and Black grip panels. Other than that, our Pro Carry is almost identical. I ordered mine back in July. I am hoping to see my pistol anytime now. I hope. :cool:

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Ultra - It's just simple supply and demand.

These guys build their 1911s by hand and put a remarkable amount of craftsmanship into their work.

It's quite noticeable the first time you see, touch and shoot their 1911s.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree, six months is a long time. It is worth the wait. The quality that goes into RRA weapons is really something. Wish I could go to their shop and actually watch them at work.

In another thread, RRA actually beat their projected production time for a poster's pistol. Mine will probably take longer due to the Black-T, which in and of itself usually takes 6-8 weeks iirc.

To put it in perspective, I had two Baers built to custom specs and they actually took a little longer. When you customize high end pistols like this, waiting is just par for the course.

The Pro Carry I held at SHOT was blued, and the satiny finish was really something to behold. It was tight but not to the point that you had to be Hercules to rack the slide. The trigger felt very light, and Mark said it was set to 3.5 pounds. All of my 1911s are set to 4.5# and my build will also be set to this. I am also shipping them some of my carry ammo (Ranger RA45T) and they will be test firing that ammo through some of my magazines (which I will also supply and plan on dedicating to this particular pistol) to ensure proper feeding.

These people are bound and determined to get it right!

Mike

·
Registered
848 Posts
Ultra - It's just simple supply and demand.

These guys build their 1911s by hand and put a remarkable amount of craftsmanship into their work.

It's quite noticeable the first time you see, touch and shoot their 1911s.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the quick reply. One of my co-worker has a RRA AR/M-4 from them. A really well put together rifle. thanks.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I'm jonesin' sumpin' terrible for a Basic Carry. I LOVE the understated looks of 'em. Gotta' resist...gotta' resist...gotta' resist... :hrm::hrm:

Tom

·
Banned
80 Posts
great to hear from other fans of rra. they are exceptional guns and very much worth the wait. i have a basic carry and i'm in the process of ordering a pro carry, also thanks for the report

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Great guns and at good prices.... RRA has it all there. Anyone know what the wait time is running nowadays?

·
Registered
95 Posts
A matter of perspective

I know the RRA are custom built, but why so long? to Build? 6 months or better seems a bit long IMO.
RRA doesn't have an "assembly line" waiting for orders. They build to order.

Even Milt Sparks holsters take 6 to 9 months, and they've recently had to put a monthly stop on orders when the sixth month out becomes fully booked.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Although a 'long' time, six months is rather reasonable right now to get a new gun custom built.

Try calling up some of the custom guys and having a base gun worked on... several shops are quoting 8+ months to get a complete upgrade on your own gun...

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
"...6 months or better seems a bit long IMO."

Six Months? 6 Months is but a Blink!!! To get a 1911 of the quality and build of a RR one could arguably wait many times that period! And......it would be worth it, after having a long conversation with Chuck a few yrs ago, he stated all his/their parts down to the CS springs are made to order for them. Personally cherish own LM even tho' have a Baer & two Wilson's can easily tell, feel & see the hand-work that went into the pistol. It feels, acts and shoots like a "One-Off", one-person/Smith Custom gun without the really long-wait or the $$$$.

One other thing: Have also sent two good '70 Series Colt's to a shop of a "Name" Smith that's grown to a size that there are now others doing some work for &/or under his name. Ea. and every time the gun has had to go back either to have a problem "fixed" or they did not even DO what they agreed to do in the 1st place.
CS? They only know one way to build-up a 1911.....Theirs.......

1 - 18 of 18 Posts