1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Right now I'm restricted to a 26" vent rib barrel, but need to get good with slugs.

1. I need advice on how to shoot them with my vent rib barrel.

2. What are the cheapest slugs I can buy, the ones I have are about $1 per pop.

3. Is this bad for the barrel? I hear it isn't too good.

Well, let me know. Thanks.

------------------
Jeff More
Irvine, PRC
All your AR-15 are belong to us!

·
Registered
684 Posts
Why 26" barrel? We here in CA, yes even LA, can have 18.5" barrels on a combat shotgun. Unless you mean that 26" barrel is the only one you have to shoot right now!

Maybe ask in the ammo section of this forum. But don't go too cheap -- you and your gun may regret it!!

Happy shooting fellow So Cal resident!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just found some Federal 12 GA 2 3/4" rifled slugs at Wal-Mart for $2.64 for a box of 5 ($0.528 each time the gun goes boom). Have not tried these yet (that is Saturday's activity), but the ones I got for my 20 GA a year or so ago (same manufacturer) worked well. I do not know if these are the cheapest you can buy, but I'm not unhappy with the price.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Possibly what you heard was that slugs are bad for a choked barrel, especially a full-choke barrel. The slug has to squeeze out a suddenly restricted area. I prefer a cylinder-bore for slugs, since the bore is nominally the same, chamber to muzzle. If you have your barrel trimmed to a more handy length, this is the "choke" you get, anyway.

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
152 Posts
use a cylinder bore only! Otherwise you're asking for trouble!

------------------
"I do not set much value on the friendship of people who do not succeed in getting disliked by their enemies."

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

I should have mentioned that I have a Benelli Super Black Eagle. Benelli doesn't make shorter tactical barrels for the SBE like they do with the M1 and M3 Super 90s. I bought the SBE because I thought I'd be doing skeet, this is before I got bit by the tactical two-gun bug, which requires me to shoot slugs. So before I plonk down $1000 for another Benelli, I might as well get good with what I have on hand. I just bought a 1911 for $1000 so it may be a while before I get another shotgun.

Anyway I have an improved cylinder choke, so there is a choke tube in there, but it's the least constricting one that Benelli makes. What about shooting buckshot, should I take the choke tube out altogether if I am shooting just tactical stuff?

------------------
Jeff More
Irvine, PRC

·
Registered
711 Posts
Shotgun slugs are made to be able to shoot in a choked barrel. They are made that way with safety in mind because no matter how many warnings you print on the box, someone out there will shoot them in a full choke gun. You will find accuracy falls off the tighter the choke. That’s why a cylinder choke works best. I use Brenikie <sp> slugs with good results from a smooth bore cyl. Choke. At 50 yards three shots will make a nice touching clover leaf. Cost is $3.75 / 5 rounds at a local gun show.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I am quite confident that the manufacturer of the barrel would not want you to shoot it with the choke tube removed! Ask the manufacturer for their official statement.
There are no currently produced slugs that will harm a shotgun barrel of any choke constriction. Slugs tend to shoot better from open-choked barrels, but they will do no harm in a full choked barrel. Chances are your 26" IC will shoot just fine. In fact, must "slug guns" (ie-Ithaca, Remington) with fixed-choke barrels are IC.
I think an inquirey of any of the major ammunition manufacturers, as well as shotgun producers, will bear these statements out.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Slugs come in a variety of diameters. Remingtons for example (standard Foster type) are .690, and will give better accuracy in a full choke than, say, a Winchester (Foster type), which is .735. But, the Winchester in a cylinder bored barrel will by WAY better than a Reming ton in either choke. Well, 98% of the time, anyway. Get Winchester or Brennekes and use a cylinder bore and you should be able to maintain minute-of-pie-plate accuracy at 50 yards qhite easily, even with a bead front if that's all you have.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've shot slugs through my Benelli M1S90 with a modified choke with no problems, even in classes that require shooting 100+ slugs. Just make sure you periodically tighten the choke tube because the slugs tend to loosen them.

Best price I've found on the reduced recoil Federal variety is at http://www.ammoman.com .

·
Registered
203 Posts
I feel pretty good about answering this question. Federal makes good handgun bullets, but their shotgun slugs stink!!! I have shot many different slugs, through many different slug guns, you can't go wrong with Winchester. They consistantly produce good tight groups as shotgun slugs go, and they hit real hard. Go with the Winchesters and you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
57 Posts
DO NOT SHOOT WITH CHOKE TUBE REMOVED!
What is your goal? ....accuracy...knockdown... penetration?
I'm assuming that this is intended as a personal defense [vs bad people].
I've taken several deer and bear with 12 gauge slugs and prefer the Foster type. I recently bought Winchester 1oz, 1600 fps, box of 5 for $1.99 at a Cabela's store. I've used everything from fixed full chokes to rifled barrels without problem...For screw-in chokes, I would definitely use an open tube. There is also some rifled tubes on the market.

During WWII, ammos was nearly impossible to buy. My Father would cut a high base paper cartridge above the brass [through case at wad...leave entire cartridge intact]...this was eased into the chamber...when fired, the entire front half of the cartridge exited the muzzle and hopefully hit the animal. I've seen the results of this and it's devastating....I DO NOT RECCOMMEND THIS!.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by VernAK:
DO NOT SHOOT WITH CHOKE TUBE REMOVED!
What is your goal? ....accuracy...knockdown... penetration?
My goal is plinkin'...the tactical two-gun matches require us to shoot a couple slugs at quite a distance. I'm just trying to get good with long distance shooting with slugs on my 26" bbl.

------------------
Jeff More
Irvine, PRC

·
Registered
605 Posts
Skunkabilly,

I have just started the 3-gun stuff but quickly got tired of my M1S90 beating the stuffing out of me with the standard "deer-killin" slugs and buckshot!

Georgia Arms has been running a special on Remington Reduced Recoil Law Enforcement (not restricted) slugs and buckshot. Shipping and all they cost me about $11 per box of 25! I used them in a Tactical Shotgun class a few weeks ago. Recoil is about like standard velocity bird shot - oo-la-la.

Mikey

1 - 15 of 15 Posts