1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know to much about shotguns
so I was hoping for some suggestions on what type to purcahse......
I would only be interested in high quality tactical ones.
How are the wilson's and benelli's? Any others?
Thanks in advance.....

·
Registered
645 Posts
Remington 1100 26" barrel matte finish synthetic ($500) and you add a plus five round mag tube ($35) on it. Load it up with 10 + 1 OO Buck Magnum 2 3/4" shells and you can throw 132 .33 caliber projectiles down range in a few seconds if need be.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I've heard many, many, many people speak highly of the Remmington 870. It will most likely be my next long gun purchase.

Billy Ray

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,344 Posts
I like the Mossberg 500/590, because it already has the mag extension, sling swivels and ghost ring sights. It also has an ambidextrous thumb safety, perhaps the greatest advantage it has over other pump guns. Some people don't like the skeletonized elevator, because it can allow foreign junk into the gun, but if you do get a jam of some kind, it can often be cleared without having to take the gun apart as can be the case with solid-elevator guns. I think a 20" 590 or 18" 500, as described above, can still be had for about $400.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have an 870 Wingmaster, and it's a fine shotgun. My one complaint is that the safety is on the tang, and I'd prefer it up on the receiver like the Mossberg.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Pump= Vang Comp 590A1, awesome
Semi-auto= Rem 1187 also by Vang

On a tighter budget? Go with any 18" name pump, screw on a two shot add on mag tube and maybe a side saddle and practice, practice, practice: Use 00 buck....
suggestions: Stock M590, 870 or 1300

Good shooting,

Dean

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I am partial to the 870 series. My choice would be a Wilson SGT Standard model and have Vang Comp do the barrel package on it.

Total cost around 1K.

Other option Mossberg 590, again have VCS do the barrel.
www.vangcomp.com

·
Registered
370 Posts
well if you want something Different and kind of FUN
try a Russian Saiga Shotgun in 12, 20, or 410
they are semi auto MAG Fed shotguns, built on the AK reciever, these are real Russian AK recievers modified into shotguns. the only one you can get as a civilan in the US is the sporting shotgun with monte carlo stock and 22" barrel, heres the pic http://club.guns.ru/eng/sig12/3.htm

they also have a combat saiga 12 for the russian special forces "spetznats" http://club.guns.ru/eng/saiga12.htm

bad part is the mags are expensive, plastic and hard to find, but durable. also the barrels are Fixed, not removable like a remington 870, so if you cut the barrel down to 18" it stays that way forever.
another GREAT thing about them is that they have a side mounting plate -- so you can buy Quick Detachable russian scopes and Red dot sights
cost is $300-$500 depending on caliber/gauge

i like my 12ga, and bump fired my brothers 410 saiga -- the WORST part of these guns is that they are now classified as Kalif AW's

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well, here is one vote for a Benelli. The tactical with non-pistol grip can legally hold seven rounds and you get choke options. Reliable and super fast cycle time. You can also get from Benelli the picitinny rail used on the Practical to mount optics. You can also buy a Field barrel and shoot skeet, trap and clays.

The Benelli is a great gun.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Even though I have a Benelli and like it very much, I think the absolute best tactical shotgun would be the Remington 870 with the Vang Comp package. Add ghost ring tritium night sights and a Surefire tactical light and you're ready to go. IMO, you have two practical choices: the Benelli or the one above, not the Mossberg!

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
I would check the ghost ring sights on someone else's shotgun before making the choice. They seem to more accurate but much slower than a bead or rifle type sights. They are the rage right now but they (for me) are much slower. This would probably only matter in 3 gun matches.

------------------
"What most of these people need is a good slap upside the head. What I don't need is any more lawsuits." John "The Tooz" Matusak

·
Registered
322 Posts
Another vote for a Rem 870 with a Vang Comp barrel. You won't be disappointed.

I am "rolling my own", starting with a Rem 870 Police. Already have the 18" Vang Comped barrel, SureFire 618F, mag tube extension, sling, and 6rd side saddle. The only thing I have left to do is the Ghost Ring sights, which IMO are only necessary if you want to shoot slugs at ridiculous distances (100 yds). Which I guess I want to do!

I personally don't like the safety position on the Mossberg, and they just don't feel as good in my hands. So if you are still looking at that as an option, at least feel a couple first. I am NOT bashing anyone else's choice, just stating my preference.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
The Remington 870 is what most Police Departments use and for a good reason. They have a steel reciever, where as the less expensive Winchesters and Mosbergs, use the less durable aluminum alloy. I have all three brands in my Police Department, but the only reason we bought the Winchesters and Mosbergs was due to price. If my budget could have stood the strain I would have bought 870s. For example the last batch Winchester 1200s that I bought were $199.00 each. The way that it works out, I could buy 2 Winchesters, for the price of one Remington 870...

7th

------------------
Support Your Local Police

·
Registered
35 Posts
The M3 is bulkier & heavier than the semi-auto M1. Benelli material states the reason for the pump is to cycle special police ammo. Such as door breechers and bean bags that my not cycle reliably in semi mode.

I would say the added complexity for the M3 is not worth it; especially if you plan to use this as a defense gun. KISS rules.

With regards to the 870 and mods, yes it is a good gun, but if you plan to also use it sport shooting (casual skeet or clays) a pump gun can be a detriment. Lotsa practice necessary to be fast enough to take doubles.

·
Registered
251 Posts
like the 590a1 with ghost rings - shoot rifles a lot and this works best for me

1 - 20 of 29 Posts