1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pictured below is underneath my workbench after a day of checkering.

This bench drives the rotary 4th axis that cris/crosses the checkering pattern that creates the checkered toof.

This is a microscopic picture of the burr free checkered toof............

Making Precision Metal Checkering GREAT again!!

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Pictured below is underneath my workbench after a day of checkering.

This bench drives the rotary 4th axis that cris/crosses the checkering pattern that creates the checkered toof.

This is a microscopic picture of the burr free checkered toof............

Making Precision Metal Checkering GREAT again!!
That's just nuts...how can they be that clean at that size?

Crazy...

Larry

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you fur the reply DT, I am glad you noticed, stay tuned as I reveal the 'secret's' of Precision Metal Checkering............

Please forgive me for the photography, truth be know I took the picture with my cell phone camera zoomed @ 10X through a 20X Boch & Lomb loupe

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks fur sharing mlin.............and here all this time I thought I invented the checkered toof? That looks like a 30 lpi....a 25 and 20 lpi?

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tip of the day testing case ejection to clear a Bianchi Cup scope mount; put your cell phone camera in 'slow moe mode' to study the pattern, here at the Metalsmithing Lab we go high tech

·
Premium Member
5,796 Posts
Tip of the day testing case ejection to clear a Bianchi Cup scope mount; put your cell phone camera in 'slow moe mode' to study the pattern, here at the Metalsmithing Lab we go high tech

Yes I have thought about that when I was tuning my extractor and ejector on my Colt Competition 9mm. And I still might do that to check on it periodically.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes redeemed, TM-1

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's a no wonder why ejection & extraction issues can be difficult to solve in a 1911 or any magazine fed auto, no 2 rounds cycle the same because the bullets in the mag, being forced against the bottom of the slide, first round having the most tension, and the last round having zero tension.

Some guys want to load a mag full to capacity, put an extra round in the chamber......... close the slide....... then insert the fully loaded mag underneath slide, compressing the cartridge's deeper in the mag when there ain't enough room, great increasing the tension on the bottom of the slide. Then they wonder why the first round jams? or why the bottom of the mag-can blew out? 10 round 9mm are the worst, there is barely enough room for 10 round and no room to compress it more. It also compresses your mag spring to the limit making the coils take a set, you most likely ruined the spring.

The first few rounds out want to nose dive into the bottom of the feed ramp, then they feed straighter into the chamber, the last few rounds with least tension may want to inertia feed, bounce out of the mag and self feed.

As the tension decreases, the slide velocity increases and ejects the empty cases farther and farther. It's all a balancing act.

Sometimes the empty case being extracted is supported by the loaded round underneath, on the last round with no support the empty wants to fall out underneath the extractor. This is why when you are adjusting an extractor you need to check where the hook is positioned on the case rim as it's puled out of the chamber.

This leads me to my next invention here @ the 1911 Research & Development Center, I'm working on a magazine that will; automatically feed a round into the chamber........extract it and eject it. Eliminating the need for polished feed ramps, ejectors and extractors. USA Patent Pending (waiting approval from chineezz gum't)

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Howdy folk's, I know some of you are probably chomping at the bit wondering how deep my chip pile is getting by now.............close observation you can see it's getting close to the top......

Reactions: DT Guy

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I rare picture of Pete without his cowboy hat, posing with his new 16" x 60' sniper rifle...........accurate up to 30 miles.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts