1911Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have trouble feeding Speer Lawman ammunition in my Protector. I do not have this problem with my Kimber or Baer. I called Wilson Combat and they said that the overall length on Lawman runs a little on the long side, and that I should just avoid that Ammo, along with all the ammo they specify on their handout which comes with the gun.

My question is this: what am I paying $1700 for if I don't have a pistol that is reliable with FMJ ball commercial ammunition? It is one thing to boast that your gun is totally reliable, and another thing to say it's totally reliable EXCEPT with this, this, and this other FACTORY ammunition. If this stuff was from China and it didn't run in my other guns, I wouldn't expect more from my Wilson. Am I totally off the wall here, or should I demand that my pistol be made to work with this ammo?

Let me know your opinions, please.

Bob

------------------
NRA, Life Member
GOA
IDPA

·
Registered
47 Posts
Check your manual. Speer Lawman is not a brand of Ammo the manual calls "reliable."

BTW my Millenium Protector doesn't feed it reliably either. My LB Concept VII does.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Exactly, Orion. They claim they have a reliable pistol, but the manual says "don't use this ammo, it'll cause feeding problems". Rubbish. My Kimber and Baer will feed Lawman, and I EXPECT the same with my Wilson.

·
Registered
340 Posts
OKC .45 ACP...Not trying to be rude here! I believe you have a choice, read a manufactures guideline and believe that they have tested and approved certain ammunition that functions well. The other choice is to fight like hell to achieve whatever is bothering you about using certain ammo and not enjoy your new toy.
I understand your feelings in this matter and I am not technical competent to say it must work at all costs. Ask a gunsmith for their thoughts on the matter, be sure you bring up Willsons instructions as to ammo that may not feed well.
Myself, I read whatever book comes with the gun, car, washer etc and do whatever they suggest.

·
Registered
986 Posts
If your only having a problem with one brand of ammo don't worry yourself too much. There is a lot of good .45 ACP ammo available and I'm sure your Wilson will shoot most of it reliably. If it was fusy about what it shot, then I'd say there was a real problem.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
OKC45, don't have a cow. For the longest time the CCI 200gr JHP would not feed in many firearms. Does this mean that all handguns are bad, no just a poor bullet design, CCI has since redesigned the bullet.

There are many options on JHPs for 45ACP, try others. There is no one best for the caliber, it actually what your pistol will shoot the best; unless you are mandated by you agency to carry XYZ brand.

Try Remington Gold Sabers, Federal Hi-Shok and Hydra-Shok, Winchester SXT, Hornady, CorBon, Blackhills. They all make excellent ammunition. Unless of course you are working on the theory, this was the least expensive bullet at my local shop. If this is the case, put mildly; deal with it. The manufacturer reccommends against the Speer, Wilson's might know what they are talking about.

·
Registered
9 Posts
One of the gun magazines recently had an article and for the life of me i can't remember which one, but i pretty much only read the reputable authors so it must have been Jan Libourel or Massad Ayoob or someone like that , but anyway i remember it saying that that lawman ammo gave another top notch gun a problem so io wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
438 Posts
If you want to get rid of that jammamatic I will do you a favor and take it off your hands.I have a Protector with over 60,000 rounds through it.No problems at all with Speer Lawman Ammo.The reason I don't shoot the stuff.Hydra-Shocks.Remington 185 gr,and 230 gr jhps,Cor-Bon 230gr jhp,various ball ammo and 200gr swc lead handloads all feed and function perfectly.My advice would be to just stay away from the Speer ammo.BILLG

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I'd say before you buy any gun, do the research. Ask questions. Perhaps this way, you will have a better chance of avoiding disappointment with your gun purchase in the future.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
When you buy that nice Ferarri and you see the little sticker by the gas tank and also see in the manual that it should only be given Super Unleaded gasoline, don't complain when you fill your $80,000 car with the cheapest gas at the pump and it doesn't do well. For $80K, you would think the car would run air, but it doesn't.

Heck, next I guess someone will be complaining that their gun has trouble with Wolf or American ammo.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Double Naught Spy,

FYI, the ammo that won't feed is SPEER LAWMAN. It is american made by CCI/Speer. It is not crappy wolf or american ammo that I would never BUY MUCH LESS SHOOT IN MY PISTOLS. It feeds in EVERY OTHER 1911 PISTOL I own. It won't feed in this finicky Wilson. I am not being unreasonable, and Speer Lawman isn't even on the LIST of ammo that Wilson doesn't recommend. Might I also mention it doesn't feed FEDERAL 165gr. HPs? I'm not asking for this gun to feed EVERYTHING, I'm asking for it to feed what my other 1911's feed. Oh, it's perfect on S&B and 230gr Hydra-Shok, but what 1911 isn't?!?!? This is totally unacceptable the more I think about it, and this pistol is either going back to Wilson or is going to be traded in for another Baer. There is simply NO COMPARISON between the Wilson and the Baer I own. The BAER IS FAR BETTER.

Sorry I'm angry, but this IS UNACCEPTABLE.

Bob

·
Registered
269 Posts

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
John Boy,
Those are wussy 308 GT's. I am hoping for a 12 cylinder but at the cost of the 308's. lol

Give me a 550 Maranello ...

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I took the Wilson back to the range today, and shot some of the worst factory ammo I could find: PMC, UMC, and some OLIN bolivian made ball ammo. Not a hiccough. The next time I shoot my Lawman (I have 1000 rounds), I'll save the ftf round and mic it out to see if its over 1.260". If it's due to the occasional out of spec round, (this occurs about 1 round/ 100) I'll be satisfied. I'm ordering a 650 soon and I'm sure that this will take care of the problem when I've customized my own 200 LSWC/231 load.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
1,896 Posts
Bob

Something to keep in mind on if the Speer you bought is "best price" or sale ammo. The product is on sale for some reason. And from a retailers point of view it is pure bottom line. It will have little or nothing to do with the "customers" undying gratitude as gratitude does not pay overhead.

The ammo or any product for that matter, may be overstock, close out, seconds, out of spec, last years model, bad lot of ammo, need for cash (these are usually good deals), design change, or whatever. Just always do a little research on why there is a sale.

I have had the misfortune to run into a bad lot of "factory" ammo over many years of shooting.

Not all ammo from one manufacturer or brand is the same. There are good lots of ammo and not so good.

You may try and call CCI/Speer to see if there was any problem with that specific lot of ammo.

Remember the Speer Flying ashtray that is or was "supposedly" notoriously unreliable. I still have 1000 rounds or so and it ran in my shop Wilson without a flaw but I have some CCI Blazer that is excellent ammo for malfunction drills. At least one hangup per box of 50. I do not know why.

I do know after about 500 or so custom pistols from most every name maker out there that have past through my little retail operation. There is an ammo that a gun will just not like for some reason.

This is gathered from customer comments over the years.

Nothing is 100 percent reliable. Just 99.9999% and the one chance is what we try to make as small as possible.

Be safe and keep the brass flying

Terry Peters
http://www.pt-partners.com

·
Registered
153 Posts
OKC,
I have had ALOT of problems with CCI Lawman .45acp ball. The ammo that I have purchased has been VERY inconsistant.....OAL...primer depth....and crimp. It is junk.....I aviod it like the plague. I have had problems with it in numerous 1911's. There is a reason that Wilson doesn't recommend it.

Next time you buy practice ammo....buy Seller and Belliot.

------------------
Will Fennell
www.camillusknives.com

1 - 17 of 17 Posts