1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I buy a new Colt Combat Commander?

I have a Colt MKIV Series 70 (9mm)that I have had for 25 yrs and I love it. A couple of years ago I retired my Colt 1911 and decided to start a middle-class gun collection, but I was disappointed with the new Colt 1911's that were on the shelf at my local gun dealer
So my current collection consists of several Glocks & 2 Kimbers. I was planning on buying the Kimber Eclipse II Pro Carry next, but today I saw a new Colt Combat Commander that looked and felt very good in my hand. The dealer is asking $764.00 and I think thats a fair price. My question is...has Colt started putting quality back into their guns or should I look elsewhere such as Kimber or Springfield? I really don't want to spend more than $1,000.

------------------
Hero45

Kimber Gold Match & Kimber Pro Carry
NRA Member

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Get what suits your needs. Wait, get three of what suits your needs.

Rare is the week that I carry the same gun every day. Just this week I've carried a Glock 23 and a S&W .357 Magnum. Tomorrow, who knows.... I may just jam a little Ruger 9mm revolver (SP101) in my front pocket using a DeSantis pocket holster.

Main thing, keep a working battery of firearms. Rifles, shotguns, and handguns. Don't forget to have a few good folding knives too!

------------------
"I would like to see a restoration of a Constitutional Republic, with the federal government defanged, muzzled, shackled and cast back into its constitutional prison." - Noumenon (From FreeRepublic.com)

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
The new 1991A1's are just as reliable and accurate as anything else out of the box right now. My S/S Commander has not let me down yet.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shane45-1911:

I know the difference between a series 70 and a series 80 1911 has to do with firing pin safety. What is the difference between a 1911 and a 1991A1?

------------------
Hero45

NRA Member

[This message has been edited by Hero45 (edited 08-09-2001).]

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Hero,

The 1991A1's are simply the year that the model was first produced. They are all series 80, and for the most part, quality is pretty good, especially the newer ones.

The 1991A1's have the big, controversial roll-mark on the slide flats. I have seen billboard advertisements that were smaller

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My local gun dealer has a new Colt Combat Commander (Stainless) that I really like. I've been looking at it for the past 2 days, and today I told him to pack it up and I would stop by tomorrow to buy it. It was a toss up between the Commander and the Government Model. Both looked the same with a polished finish (stainless), but the Commander seems to balance better in my hand and will be used for CCW. It will probably replace my Kimber Pro Carry because it's a Colt!

I would like to put some Novak fixed night sites on it, and a Wilson grip safety, which sweeps up, not down. The front strap looks a little thin to machine 30 LPI groves in it to enhance the grip, but I will have to ask a gunsmith. Then again maybe I should leave it stock?

------------------
Hero45

NRA Member

1 - 6 of 6 Posts