1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've wanted to get a Kimber for a long time & have finally saved enough to get an Eclipse or Tac Custom - both full-size. I want something that will be flawless out of the box. I was really happy that I was finally going to get a Kimber until I started reading some of the posts in this forum!

It seems like a lot of people have complaints or are not happy. What's the deal? Is it troll-I-tis or are there any problems I should be aware of? I thought if anything was wrong they would cover it under warranty.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
628 Posts
First off no man made machine can be guaranteed to be flawless out the box. If so then there would be no need for warantees.
Considering the sheer numer of pistols that Kimber sells everyday compared to the complaints reported the odds are in your favor of getting a good pistol.
If you want a proven pistol then purchase a used one that you have seen run or actually shot yourself. It's a crap shoot anytime you buy something new.

·
Premium Member
20,373 Posts
Choose your features...if the new external extractor and firing pin safety are for you, jump right into a new one. If you prefer the original setup, you're in "Kimber Series-I Heaven"! I'd been looking for an SLE forever, and got tipped off about TWO of them in South Dakota. A good friend of mine drove across Nebraska, stopped in the small towns, and bought five NIB early Kimbers.

·
Registered
550 Posts
AZ Husker covered it pretty well but, i will throw in my .25 though.
i have one of the pistols you are looking at. the eclipse . i have 675 rounds through it now with no problems. at least to date. i just had a trigger job done and she feels extra nice! i will shoot this pistol at the least of 500 rounds a month starting next month.
i like to shoot local bullseye shooting leagues. the eclipse is very pretty. as you know. i can understand your concern for wanting a tack driver for your hard earned ones! so far my eclipse has been reliable and still looks about 98%.

dont buy the eclipse if a few blimishes on the finish will bother you. i have been there and done that. that explains why i just started to shoot her a lot lately. they dont bother me no more.
even though ther are some "wear" marks on the slide. especially around the ejection portion of the slide. not to mention some on top the slide by the front site. i really like my eclipse and plan on shooting it with the intent to see if it misfires etc..hope this helps.

also i want a tle/rl. so if you buy that please post some thing on it on your first impressions.......

·
Registered
445 Posts
Majic said:
Considering the sheer numer of pistols that Kimber sells everyday compared to the complaints reported the odds are in your favor of getting a good pistol.
That's it, pretty much in a nutshell.

This being the Kimber forum, anyone who has a problem, will more than likely seek answers here. It helps to perpetuate the perception on first glance, that there are an inordinant amount of problems with the brand. There are not.

Do some people have problems with brand new Kimbers, that they just shelled out a large chunk of dough for? Absolutely! Then again, do a search under any brand here on any forum, under "problem" and you will find some.

That being said, I believe far more people have an experience closer to my own with Kimbers. I recently bought an Ultra CDP Elite Sts II. Prior to firing round one from it, I read the manual and followed the advice. I also, replaced the supplied magazine with two Wilson Combat OXC mags. I did so because my studies here on the forum taught me that, that might be a good thing to do. Do your homework first!

So, from round one till present, with a tad over 600 rounds through it, I have had zero problems. ;) It is a beautiful reliable pistol, that I confidently use as my primary CCW.

I also have a series I Kimber Custom Classic. I bought that one used and have also had zero problems with it to date.

Good luck, with whatever you decide upon.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I do not buy my guns to look pretty, functionality is what I want. My friends cringe when they see the cosmetic condition of my Wilsons,Baers,Robars,Yosts etc. I USE them alot. I just picked up a Kimber Custom Tactical II because of the features it has and I am impressed with the overall gun. It does have its limitations but I finding I can work around them. In fact, I like it enough to carry it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Merry Christmas!!!

:)Thanks everyone! I really feel better after reading the above posts. I kind of thought that the amount of problems seemed greater due to this discussion format.

I'm going to look hard at the Tac Custom, Eclipse & TLE/RL. Any of these will be a big step up from the 1911's I already have.;)

AZ Husker: How about giving a fellow Husker fan the scoop on what dealer's you found those Kimber's at?! I have to drive 2 hours to even go look at a new Kimber! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Mine is Series II, (internal extractor, safety still intact)

L O V E IT!!

if it has a burp, FIX IT. No whining, have fun, go shooting!

·
Premium Member
20,373 Posts
Jeeves...I got tipped off by another S.D. member. Contact BJS.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Greetings,

I have been away from this forum for a long time. I just dropped by and totally agree with Trask!!

The gun brand/quality debate will continue to rage forever. I use my Kimber everyday. Have well over 5k rounds in competition without any problems. My total round count is approximately 14k.

You name the brand and I own it. You name the brand and I have probably used it in competition. Kimber continues to make a tremendous product out of the box.

Also, hi to all my old friends here!

1*, GUNNY

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how does one tell if its a leftover series one or a series two if buying a kimber?

·
Premium Member
20,373 Posts
The Series-II have the Roman numeral "II" after the model name on the right side of the slide. You can also see the safety linkage next to the disconnector. If the disconnector is all alone, it's a pre-Series-II.

·
Registered
84 Posts
yeah what AZH said.
I just racked the slide on my II, and you can spot the "Schwarz" plunger in the frame right next to the disconnector without breaking the weapon down - a smaller round pin next to the larger one every 1911 has, just behind the magazine well.
I took the slide off for the picture

·
Registered
504 Posts
Re: a gun is forever

asianthug47 said:
this is what i tell all my friends:

if you can afford a gun, by all mean you must get it. a gun is forever (better than diamond) and it is one of the less than handful of toys that can actually save life.

i have 2 kimber custom II. i have not shot any of it. i keep them in a glass case (special thanks to the local nra hobby woodshop) display them proudly in my room. yes, they're loaded and all i have to do is cock them and i can use them if the need arrive.

they're so pretty. i cleaned and lubed them the first day i got each of them (thanks to liberals and their 1 handgun per month law). they're too pretty to be used, so i am going to keep them in this mint condition for display.

i am looking forward to get a les baer once i sell more of my yugo sks's and those hand-made targets.
Welcome to the Forum!

But DUDE! you REALLY need to take them out and shoot them.

I too am delighted and awed by the artistry and approach to perfection of the 1911, but that is a passive joy. SHOOT them! You cannot have more fun with your clothes on :D

Unless they're collectors' items with some really unique historical value, guns NEED to be fired, just as cars NEED to be driven. Until all the parts (and YOU, the operator) have worked with and against each other over time, the TRUE unique perfection of the particular gun has not been achieved.

Trust me, you'll kick yourself for having waited once you run a couple mags' worth through the pistols.

:rock: :rock:

·
Registered
628 Posts
Unless they're collectors' items with some really unique historical value, guns NEED to be fired,
You, my friend, obviously are not a collector. Collectors can see other considerations in an object rather than just a unique historical quality. Firearms are designed and built to be shot, but they do not have the "NEED" to be shot. Many of them in the past and present are just put away to be admired from time to time. Sit back and enjoy others collections, but please don't tell them what they must do with their objects of admiration. Not everyone is going to equate their idea of fun to coincide with yours.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts