1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a browning hipower standard at a pawnshop that will be available for sale on dec. 2. The finish looks good on the gun. It is a little dirty, but that can be cleaned up. It has a little bit of rust at the muzzle end of the barrel. I asked what the selling price would be when it comes off and he said he would sell it for $320 + tax. I wanted a matte finish hipower but this seems like a pretty decent deal. What does everyone think?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it is a Mk III standard with fixed sights.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im not wild about the gloss finish as i had the same gun at one time and sold it. But i guess at that price and with my new job, i can afford to have it refinished the way i want. Thanks Stephen!

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Hello. If you can detail strip the gun, I wouldn't be afraid to try some of the bake-on paints sold by Brownells. I've seen some of it used on pistols (of all things a well-worn Les Baer 1911) and the finish was not bad at all. It will show holster wear eventually, but held up surprisingly well. I'm told that to do the best job, one really needs a sprayer that doesn't clog up as the can's are reportedly prone to do.

Best.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
does the blueing need to be striped off first or just lay the finish over the blueing? Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
That's a VERY good price for a MKIII standard. If it looks to be in good shape overall, my advice is to jump on it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts