1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the clarks recoil spring plug on the way to me but was wondering if I should change out my barrel bushing as well? I've read that colt laters corrected these issues on later model guns mine is a lightweight model made in 1985-1986 I believe. Would this make it a late model gun,or did the later guns with the problems fixed come out later than mine? It seems that the recoil spring plug is the weak link in these guns more so than the barrel bushing,if anyone can pleae advise that would be great thanks.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Reportedly, the thin barrel bushings have been know to fail also. I changed my OACP bushing to an EGW melt bushing and have been extremely happy with the improved accuracy afforded by the better fitting bushing. The stock bushing was loose. The "melt" bushing is a very substantial unit.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Personaly, I think the bushing in the Officers is OK. I have a '88 Stainless model that I refitted with a Clark's plug and also added the Wolf one piece spring. I left the bushing alone. Even if the bushing SHOULD fail, the pistol will still fire, but not as accurately. But, if the original plug should fail it's all over. Change that plug! Heck, I could be wrong...LOL...but I feel good with my setup. I also kept the original stubby guide rod intact. Others need to chime in here.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I had the Kings set up put in and fitted by Kings along other 'reliability' work done.

This is an older pre enhanced bright stainless OACP and ran just fine before it went to Kings, but I just didn't feel comfortable with it.

All my carry 1911's have had the reliability work done by Kings before I would carry them. Just personal prefrence.

I'm also not a big fan of 'drop in' parts. Not on carry guns anyway.

A failure at the range is a pain in the rear. A failure in a life or death situation .......

Rob

·
Registered
37 Posts
Went ahead and did the EGW melt Bushing..

Well, one week later and all the talk of the Officers thin weak bushing got me involved in a little project. (I needed sumpin to do anyways) Got the EGW melt bushing for my Officers today from Brownells and just got through with the install. Man, this pistol is built like a tank now. Added the Clarks plug and Wolf one piece spring couple months back. The barrel crown is even protected now by the EGW melt bushing...yep Sir... built like a TANK :biglaugh:

·
Banned
322 Posts
I just fitted an EGW melt bushing to my lw oacp and it's a world of difference. The stock bushing had some play between it and the barrel and it did not lock up tight as I like, it had side to side slide play also. Now it locks up tight as a drum and the slide movement is very little.

I like colts, have owned quite a few, but I have not owned any that I liked the way they fit their factory bushings. Then again I fell the same way about just about any factory fitted bushings.

·
Registered
922 Posts

Well, one week later and all the talk of the Officers thin weak bushing got me involved in a little project. (I needed sumpin to do anyways) Got the EGW melt bushing for my Officers today from Brownells and just got through with the install. Man, this pistol is built like a tank now. Added the Clarks plug and Wolf one piece spring couple months back. The barrel crown is even protected now by the EGW melt bushing...yep Sir... built like a TANK :biglaugh:
Is it all just a drop in? What is the cost? You guys are getting me worried about my stock Officers ACP! LOL

·
Registered
37 Posts
The Clarks plug and Wolf spring are drop in. The bushings ID and OD need to be fitted. Costs: Plug @ 20. Spring @ 7. Bushing @ 22. Peace of mind..priceless. :) You can do the spring and plug easily. You can study up on the bushing fitting at the link below if you think you'd like to give it a go, OR you could have a gunsmith fit the bushing for you: http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?p=1696478#post1696478

·
Registered
922 Posts
The Clarks plug and Wolf spring are drop in. The bushings ID and OD need to be fitted. Costs: Plug @ 20. Spring @ 7. Bushing @ 22. Peace of mind..priceless. :) You can do the spring and plug easily. You can study up on the bushing fitting at the link below if you think you'd like to give it a go, OR you could have a gunsmith fit the bushing for you: http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?p=1696478#post1696478
Great thanks.Did you fit yours? If so how hard was it?
Thanks again.

·
Registered
37 Posts
ACP45, It was a first time project for me You need basic tools like bench drill, various sandpapers, emery cloth, etc. The drill is your lathe in this case. You have to find a way to chuck up your bushing into the drill (see the link above for techniques) . I found a 1/4" drive socket that fit the new bushings ID very snugly to use to chuck my new bushing into the drill. I was lucky, because the end of the socket was slightly tapered and it fit TIGHT! This lets you sand down the OD to fit to your slide. You also have to ream the bushings ID to fit your barrel. Making and improvising the jigs for these procedures is the trick. For reaming the ID, I used a five inch long 1/2" drive socket extensioin wrapped with 200 grit sandpaper and lots of cutting oil. Getting the reaming started is the trickiest part. It's trial and fit, trial and fit. If you're not that handy with tools, you may opt for a gunsmith fitting of your bushing. Like I mentioned earlier, go ahead and do the Clark plug and spring drop in. That's really easy and makes your pistol so much more reliable. The bushing will be a bonus..Good Luck and let us know whatever you do or if you need any help.

·
Banned
322 Posts
I just put an egw melt bushing in mine and I prefer to do my bushings the "hard way". I prefer to just use sandpaper on a round wood dowel to do the inside of the bushing going evenly around the inside and just sandpaper for the outside as it normally doesn't take much for the outside. It's easy and doesn't take long at all as there's really not as much as one would think to take off. I like doing it the is way and checking the fit constantly to get it "just there".

I am also going with the egw reverse plug and flgr and the ismi flat wound recoil spring. I had an officers before that I had the kings setup with the ismi spring and I loved it and the egw is like the kings. The ismi is by far the best spring for the officers out there and lasts much longer than any other, George at EGW says 20,000 rounds. I never had to change my ismi on the other officers so I can't vouch for that number but I know it's WAY longer than any other spring. I also prefer this setup to the clarks drop in reverse plug. This is the only 191I like the flgr in.

I'm still waiting on some parts here:

http://1911auto.org/forum/showthread.php?p=10966#post10966

The stock bushing had some play in it and in turn the slide to frame fit had extra side to side movement. Now the barrel locks up tight and all excess movement has disappeared. I normally put a new bushing into any production 1911's.

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
That bushing setup is pretty cool. I had Pistolwrench do a Wilson in mine and have been really happy with it.

You should worry about O mdel bushings and spring plugs. They break pretty easy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts