1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm shopping for my first 1911, and I believe I've settled on Kimber. I fired a TLE/RL II at the range and really liked it. I'm planning on a 5", and this is for daily carry and range use.

The thing I'm not sure about is the external extractor. There are many threads on Kimber reliability issues (usually fixed eventually, I'll grant you, and not universal). Many of them seem to hinge on that extractor, and I've seen a number of comments from folks who won't have an external extractor Kimber. OTOH, there are many folks who have the external extractors without problems. But there really are a *lot* of threads about "issues".

I note that internal extractor Kimbers are not uncommon on GunsAmerica. The new Warrior has gone back to an internal extractor, and there are rumors that Kimber will be doing this on other models. As an aside, one has to wonder what will that will do to resale of II-series internal extractor models.

So here's my question: should I insist on an internal extractor Kimber? It doesn't look like it will cost me much, if any, more; it just puts some of the many, many Kimber models out of consideration.

My big concern is reliability. This is for a carry gun. I don't mind break-in, but I *don't* want to play back and forth to the factory games. Heck, part of the reason for the purchase is that my first handgun, a Springfield XD-40, is defective and has to go back to the factory.

Will an internal extractor Kimber be significantly more likely to be reliable?

If you had the choice of one versus the other put down in front of you, for free, which would you choose?

·
Banned
1,678 Posts
I have an Ultra RCP II ( external ) and haven't had a single issue with it for appx. 285 rounds.

If I had a choice of external or internal in the same pistol at the same price, I'd choose internal though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It's a gamble to buy one with external extractor....I would diffinately recommend purchasing an internal extractor model.

Hubert

·
Registered
90 Posts
I just bought a new TLE II and it ahs worked flawlessly for 800 rounds. I read the same things you have and was a little nervous about the external extractor. I didn't want to pay almost 1G for a gun and have it be an annoyance. Well, I am happy to report it is perfect. Whatever issues cause people to complain about external extractors Kimber seems to have addressed. That's assuming there was issues to begin with. I think a lot of it is rumor and hype by the "purists" on this board. I would bet money most who diss the ex-ex here have never shot one. I wouldn't wait. it could be a long time

·
Registered
67 Posts
My Pro Eclipse II has had about 600 rounds through it.

I did have some FTEs during last sunday's session while still breaking it in, but I don't blame the extractor. I bought a box of 250 rounds of Remington 230gr. ball ammo, and I had about 5 FTEs in 150 rounds using it. The casings stayed about 1/2 in the breech. I didn't think at the time to save those casing for closer inspection of the problem at the time. I got home, cleaned it all up, and lubed the extractor more liberally. When I went back to the range a few days later, I shot the last 100 of that box without issue, along with another 100 of some Winchester White Box Ball ammo. Not a single extraction issue.

The extractor in mine appears to be the latest design according to the pictures on this forum.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have a Full size,Pro size and Ultra size Kimbers. I have not had a failure to extract out of any of them. The pro and ultra in particular, I have shot the heck out of them to prove to myself that they are reliable...they are.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Dillinger said:
It's a gamble to buy one with external extractor....I would diffinately recommend purchasing an internal extractor model.

Hubert
+1

·
Registered
778 Posts
May be blashpemy, but look at a SA 1911... otherwise, yeah, look for a Kimber without the BS Series 2 parts, or the stoopid external extractor. My .02!

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
Custom-guy said:
+3, it is internal for me or bust! :D
+4, All of my Kimbers are Series 1 models. :D
The only way I would consider a Series 2 model is if it was given to me for free. :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the replies! :)

I ended up getting a new Warrior. I changed the grips out for some nice rosewood ones from Colt, bought some KimPro Tac-Mag 8-round mags, and proceeded to put 325 rounds of 230 gr. downrange, mostly Mag-Tech FMJ, but also 25 Speer Gold Dots.

Not. One. Problem.

Not one.

:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

I now have a gun I *trust*, which was really what was bugging me the most about the XD.

Fit and finish is great too.

The dealer did me pretty good, I think. He gave me $425 trade for my XD-40, which was all I would have asked for it used, and knocked the Warrior down to $1099. Not the lowest price in the world, but it seems to be the "average" Internet price. Plus I got 10% off on everything else I bought today, and an hour of free range time. Plus I didn't have to screw around with getting Springfield to service the XD. So, Happy Customer. Oh, the dealer was Knight Shooting Sports in Pinellas Park (St. Petersburg), Florida. Great indoor range, too.

A nice way to celebrate Florida's new and improved self-defense law, which went into force today.

Now, what for a BUG.....? :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts