1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a CZ 97b .45--Sweet little pistol. However, it is designed to only partially eject
magazines when the mag release is pressed. I know how to modify it to drop the mags
freely from the CZ forum.

My question is, as a relatively new semi-autopistol owner (I've use to shoot a S&W 13 revolver), Does it take much much practice or drill to safely catch/drop mags so they don't get banged up? Maybe I'm making this a bigger issue than it should be, but I would appreciate advice.

· Registered
1,627 Posts
The question you must ask yourself, I think, is: Do you want to take the extra time to extract the empty mag from your pistol prior to being eable to reload it?

For me, this is a clear no.

Not letting the mag drop out of the pistol is typically European. Here we just want to get useless empty mags out as fast as possible, to get a fresh one in as fast as possible.

My mags don't get beaten up at all, excect in matches. When I practice, it's easy to toss them on something soft and clean.

Just make sure you practice just like you want to perform in a match or in a fight.

Alex.

· Registered
117 Posts
Really depends on what you are going to use the gun for. If it was me, and say I wanted to set it up for USPSA/IPSC, I would modify it so the mags would drop freely. But if I wasn't going to use it like that, I'd leave it like it is...

· Registered
238 Posts
Condition1 said:
IMy question is, as a relatively new semi-autopistol owner (I've use to shoot a S&W 13 revolver), Does it take much much practice or drill to safely catch/drop mags so they don't get banged up? Maybe I'm making this a bigger issue than it should be, but I would appreciate advice.
I would not practice catching empty mags. If you plan on carrying a semi for protection it is a bad, bad habit to get into. practice drawing, indexing and inserting your replacement mag as your empty is falling away.

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice. I've made the modification, and feel better for it.

· Registered
2,264 Posts
Possibly unrelated sidebar: The Bren-10 pistols could be made to work either way, partial or full magazine ejection, with the turn of a small screw in the side of the gripframe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.