1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My inherited my grandfather's Colt 1908 .25. (lots of sentimental value)
Years ago, I left it in the trunk of a car that leaked water. The gun had some surface rust, but was lightly sanded and oiled. So now it has the "scars"
I will never sell the gun, but thought I would have it refinished to original finish (as possible). Is this unwise to "molest" an old Colt.
Any recommendations of a gunsmith that could refinish (I am not looking to spend silly money on this gun, but want it done nicely)
Thanks
(the gun is in NC if this helps)

·
Registered
273 Posts
no, leave it alone, scars go with age.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
My first responce would be toward the "NO" end of the spectrum........but, what is your real desire here?

Keep it original (with scars) for resale value to you or family down the line? Have a nice looking restored piece for your own tastes? Other?

Good luck to you. :rock:

·
Registered
232 Posts
If its to stay in the family... then I'd say do a tasteful refinish by a professional...

If its to maintain its monetary value.. then do not refinish.

If the scars came from something like honest use (Grand dad wore off the finish keeping it in his vest pocket back inthe day...) then I'd also say leave it alone. However.. damage from being in the trunk of a car, no offense intended in any way, isn't something worth keeping it in that condition, if you never want to sell it. Refinishing it to the finish it had when you first inhereted it would be my advice.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
If resale is not in its future, then I think a proper/period refinish would be fine. I would just make sure you thoroughly research the refinisher first. Refinishing might detract from the "resale" value, but it can definitely increase the pride of ownership.

·
Administrator
73,785 Posts
Let Bill Adair (www.restoration-gunsmith.com) take a look at it. He can tell you if it's possible to restore it or if it is best to leave it alone.

·
Registered
132 Posts
If I was in your shoes, I would ask myself. If grandpaw was still alive and accidently left the gun in the trunk of the car and the gun was damage by water. Would he send it off to have it refinished? If you think he would have, Then send it off and have it refinished. If not then leave it alone.

My 2 cents.

Bryan

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks,
As I said, I will never sell it. I like the comment "what would your granddad do?" I am leaning towards refinishing.
I would love for it to look close to new

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
That's not too bad- I think it should clean up nicely. I had a 1908 in .380 the Doug McDougall refinished for me that started out WAY worse than that, and came out really nice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts