1911Forum banner

Should I risk buying an external model?

2008 Views 29 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  TLE
Well I'm just about ready to buy my Kimber. I have decided on an Eclipse Pro. My local Sportsman's Warehouse has one of the external extractor models for $950. I will admit, I have no patience when I want something. Having to wait another 2 weeks is driving me nuts as it is as I have been waiting over a month anyway. Now, I could search for an internal extractor model. Guns America has a few, but then I would have to go get my FFL filled out, send that to the dealer with my money order, wait for him to ship it and then wait for the weekend to pick it up at my dealer. Plus I'm a bit concerned about sending a money order to another dealer. I feel much more comfortable going down, face to face and buying what I want. That way if I have problems, I can go back to where I bought it.

What is your opinion? I know a lot of you here say you have external extractors with no problems at all. But there seems to be quite a lot of people that have problems with them and that is what worries me. Personally I think the internal looks nicer. But should I take the time to hunt it down and wait for it. Granted I do feel like a kid at Christmas when I get a package I have been waiting for.

Please help me out. I have read most of the threads discussing problems and the ones with praise. But I really am still not sure whether it is worth the risk or not.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Banned
410 Posts
Having rushed out and bought an Ultra CDP II when I decided to, I wish I had waited. Nothing worse than your shiny new Tonka truck breaking down day after Christmas. Well actually there are probably many things worse, but you know what I mean. I am optimistic that Kimber will resolve any issues though, so am only very slightly disappointed.

I also prefer a local face-to-face deal for most things.

Good luck.

· Registered
735 Posts
Do what you want, but I would wait and find an internal if you go Kimber. When buying a Kimber external gun you are taking a risk that the gun will have problems! bottom line. If you are not good about waiting to get the gun, how do you think you will be sending it to Kimber multiple times for repair or waiting of new ex-extractors to be sent?

You may buy the ex-ex Kimber and it might be the greatest gun you have ever had and work perfectly, but then again you could get that one with problems. I guess what I am saying is if you are asking you already know the answer to the question, you know the track record of a Kimber ex-ex gun. Heck Kimber their selves admits the problem with them and in some cases have sent back problem one's with new in-ex slides to the customer.

I stay away from them PERIOD, I don't want to go through the crap sending it back and forth.

Put it this way, until Kimber goes back to the pre series II quality that they once had I am not interested in buy them anymore. I will go to the semi-custom guns to get a quality piece.

· Registered
555 Posts
I have an external extractor Kimber and have never had a problem with it. I would not have reservations against buying another.
That being said... if you would rather have a different gun (i.e. internal extractor), my advice is to wait for it.
A month or a year or ten years down the road, you will regret settling for what you didn't really want.
Good luck. :)

· Registered
73 Posts
I have 2 Eclipse Pro's. 1 internal, and 1 external. Also 1 Stainless Pro Carry external. After getting some rounds down them they are all reliable! My externals were bought right after they came out with the external extractors, so they are the early versions. I myself, would not hesitate at all on the issue. I am looking at the Tacticle Pro next and the internal,external thing will not make a difference. I just bought a S&W 1911Sc, and the Tac Pro is next.
I would buy it, shoot it ALOT, and get some good mags!!!!!! The mags were 90% of my problems, once they were changed, Wa La. My Sc mags work great in them and look better too. Novak mags from CDNN same thing 14bucks or so.

My .02 cents

· Registered
58 Posts
I have an external extractor Eclipse and have had absolutely no problems with it. I also like the fact that you can see the red line on the extractor when the cartridge is chambered. I also have a Tacticle Ultra II with external extractor. No problems. Would not hesitate to purchase another.

· Premium Member
5,963 Posts
sarhog said:
I have an external extractor Kimber and have never had a problem with it. I would not have reservations against buying another.
That being said... if you would rather have a different gun (i.e. internal extractor), my advice is to wait for it.
A month or a year or ten years down the road, you will regret settling for what you didn't really want.
Good luck. :)
+1 I have both kinds. If I'd known the return of the internal was imminent, I woulda waited. And heck! $950 is only about 50 bucks short of a Warrior!!:p

· Registered
67 Posts
My Eclipse Pro did have a few extraction problems during the break in period. It seemed to happen most often with Remington ammo (didn't matter if it was FMJ or JHP). After the first 600 rounds, it hasn't had any other issues. I have put over 1000 rounds through the gun since then without any problems. Twice I have taken it to the range and put 400 rounds non-stop through it without cleaning, and still without issue.

· Registered
7 Posts
rocking.h said:
I have an external extractor Eclipse and have had absolutely no problems with it. I also like the fact that you can see the red line on the extractor when the cartridge is chambered. I also have a Tacticle Ultra II with external extractor. No problems. Would not hesitate to purchase another.
DITO...My Eclipse Ultra II has been excellent...over 500 rounds now:rock: no issues!:cool:

· Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK. Still seems about 50-50. Realistically, the only reason I am debating is that I can buy the ex-ex one face to face.

Here is another question, has anyone had issues with in-ex?

· Registered
735 Posts
unforgiven5150 said:
OK. Still seems about 50-50. Realistically, the only reason I am debating is that I can buy the ex-ex one face to face.

Here is another question, has anyone had issues with in-ex?
I told you! you will get your share of both opinions.

My internal has been 100% extraction through over 1,500 rds, (the gun has never failed to extract). I have had a few feeding problems but Tripp Cobra mags and a reliability tune by my local smith just for good measure fixed that issue! wasn't bad but I want perfect for carry. It also gave me a reason for him to do a trigger job to about 31/4 # trigger pull. :p

I have found that Kimbers are very good guns after some tweaking, changing of the mags to good ones, finding what ammo the gun likes, and keeping them in good working order.

Also if you want the ex-ex Kimber now as you have suggested a good local smith should be able to tune the extractor to the gun and or change it out for tuned Wilson extractor if you have problems, I buy pass Kimber if I have problems on mine, I just call Otto for a tune. All and all Kimber's are hard to beat for slide to frame fit and they have a good finish to them, it is just the small stuff that has to be changed.

I say do whatever you want but be prepared to make some changes to get it to run right.

· Banned
7,478 Posts
I'd not touch a Kimber external extractor pistol with a stick! I've had one. Took 9 months to get it right. I replaced it with a new-old-stock version of the pistol.

With the standard extractor you get 100% reliability.

With the external extractor you get X% reliability. No one knows what X is. For some there are no problems. For others the Failure to Extract problems occur during the first magazine!

Everyone else seems to have gotten the exterior extractor right. If you want this device get a Smith & Wesson, it has the extractor Kimber should have used.

-- Chuck

· Registered
894 Posts
I just bought a used PRO CDP I with internal extractor on AuctionArms. It was a complete cross country deal - Pac NW to New England - and it couldn't have gone smoother. Just pay attention to the person's feedback and actually talk to them on the phone if that increases your comfort level. I waited quite a while to find just what I wanted. Don't fall into the instant gratification trap.

· Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is there a way on Guns America to see feedback? From what I can tell, you have to be a gold member to do it.

· Registered
25 Posts
Tactical Pro II with external extractor

I just bought a used (barely broken in) Tactical pro II with the external extractor and it is a great gun!
I have put over 100 rounds of 230 grn WWB through it and it extracts perfectly.

Jonathan

· Registered
47 Posts
Like you, I have read tons of information about the Kimber external extractor. The bottom line is this...buying one with an external is a gamble at best, and no one knows what the odds truely are. You just have to decided if you want to risk it.

To answer question No. 2, I have had no problems with my internal extractor after 500+ rounds.

Adam

· Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well it seems like everyone has said, ex-ex, 50-50 at best. Internal, no problems whatsoever.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.