1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday I was at my range and for the second time my rear site came loose on my springfield loaded A1.....the first time I took it to a local shop and they loctited it down and haven't had any problems...should I just do this again or should i send it back to springfield and let them fix it??

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
In the absence of a proper 1911 pistolsmith/shop in your immediate area, I'd call Springfield and get a Return Authorization #.

·
Registered
147 Posts
You do have a little allan set screw in the rear sight? Right?

If it's missing, then just get a new set screw. If you think the dovetail is bad, then send the pistol to Springer.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Loose rear sight

Greetings to the forum, this is my first post here.
I had a one of the milspec pieces with a loose rear sight, no set screw though. I got the sight set where I wanted it and set the slide flat on the edge of the bench with just the front hanging over. I used a 1/4 in. brass bolt with the threaded end filed flat and a hammer to hit the slide (using the bolt as a punch) on the front and back of the metal above the sight; literally, closing the dove tail a bit. It's been fine ever since. HTH YMMV
Best,
Rob

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
If it has come loose twice, there is something wrong and it will probably only get worse. If there is a set screw, try replacing it. Loctite works well on screws but isn't designed to hold the entire sight in place. If that doesn't solve the problem, either your sight is cut too small or the dovetail too big.

Call Springfield and see what they say. I'd ask for a replacement rear sight and pay a gunsmith to put it on, this would be less expensive and faster than shipping the gun back. If they won't send you one or that doesn't solve the problem, send the gun back.

This isn't one of those annoyances like crooked checkering, this could affect what (or who) you hit when you shoot.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Mike'sgooddeal said:
Call Springfield and see what they say. I'd ask for a replacement rear sight and pay a gunsmith to put it on, this would be less expensive and faster than shipping the gun back.
Conversely, you could just send just the slide back using normal low cost methods for shipping it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies, I am going to call monday and see what they tell me...hopefully I can get this fixed with no problem...I was wondering why I wasn't hitting anything the other day at the range until I noticed the sight was moving around every shot....Interesting though b/c my friend...who isn't very accurate with hand guns ever, was very accurate with it...kinda interesting

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
When I had a problem with my Loaded, SA paid shipping both ways, which also included insurance in case the gun was lost or damaged. I had to buy a box for shipping.

Also, as was said before, you can send just the slide to them. However, if you're going to be without use of the gun while it's back at the factory, you might as well check to see whether there's anything else that needs repairing, such as a bad trigger, etc. If so, ship the entire thing back with a fix-it list and get everything done at one time.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I got sick of my Loaded Stainless model's Novak shaking loose - so I purchased this adjustable from Springfield's web-site http://www.springfield-armory.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=221 ...
I didn't even think about contacting Springfield, until after I read a few posts concerning this problem. Oh well - I now have an adjustable & it fits SO tight that it'll never shoot loose! It was a nightmare installing it! BTW: the Novak fell out after removing the Allen screw.

Another "fix" is to place a shim (a feeler gauge) under the Novak, to push the sight upward into the dove tail.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I installed that same adjustable sight on my loaded and really like it. However my original sight was hard to push out and the replacement took me several attempts to center but once I centered it and tightened the set screw I don't think it'll move any. The original never moved either. I have a earlier loaded green 45, the one before they started shipping the loadeds with the night sights.

·
Registered
404 Posts
philip52 said:
Or you could ask Springfield for their Fedex/UPS account number and use that to ship the pistol
They no longer give this out I called them yesterday for a problem that has returned on one of my Springfields and they said you must ship it in with a copy of the shipping invoice and if they find that it is not your fault then they will reimburse you for shipping.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I have been dealing with the very same problem for the past two years. The gun has been back to Springfield 5 times, Novak once, and a local guy several times. I finally packaged it up last week and returned it one more time, asking to have the gun replaced. They haven't responded yet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts