1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a box of GOOD old black talon the other day. Now should I carry them or save them as winchester is not making them any more even for leos. Have 3 box of them found them in a small store here in TX. Been carrying gold dots. This is in my 45 defender, if that matters. DAVID

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
Shoot em, there are better bullets around anyhow.I used to have a couple of boxes sitting around collecting dust,I decided they were worthhless as decorations so I shot them

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking more as a colectors stand point, also I dont think you can do any better than ranger or black talons ranger being the new name for the talons. Some come close.

[This message has been edited by sig_in_tx (edited 10-03-2001).]

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
I don't know your laws in Texas, but here in NC they are illegal to carry. I would suggest either shooting them or storing away for collector purposes. IMHO I've never seen collectable ammo, though.

------------------
Double-action in an auto pistol seems to me an ingenious solution to a non-existent problem. -Jeff Cooper G&A mag Oct. 1973

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
...Ahem...Don't "carry" anything that you have not verified the function of in yer' pistol!
If you have 60 or 150 rds. Make sure that you can shoot at least 2 magazines without a bobble or ANY PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER!!!

...Most folks that are concerned with their hide shoot at least 100 rds to test for function and dependability...If they can't shoot 1-2-500 rounds without ANY FAILURES TO FEED OR FUNCTION...they don't use them...

If your supply is limited, make sure that yer' pistol will fire at least a few magazines FLAWLESSLY before you bet yer' life on it...

I'd look for 500 rds of ball with no problems and at least 100 of yer' carry ammo with perfectly, dependable, accurate functioning...Hope this helps...Check around a little and ask questions...You may even wanna' have yer' pistol tuned fer' reliability before you carry it...The bottom line is that it may be the last error you get ta' make...so...don't...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

!!!Molon Labe'!!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Talons illegal in NC? Only reference I find in NCGS to bullet type concerns teflon coating. Are BTs teflon coated?

·
Registered
203 Posts
From Firearms Tactical Institute: (FWIW)

"The black paint-like coating on the bullet is a Winchester proprietary lubricant called Lubalox."

No mention of teflon, either there or the other references I checked...

?

[This message has been edited by boing (edited 10-16-2001).]

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
So you are a collector? Why would you want to collect ammo if you aren't a collector?

Black Talon's reputation was much greater than its performance. As eljay45 said, there are better rounds around now.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
My first reaction is, save them. You don't really have enough to wring out your gun with them, but sooner or later, you could probably turn a profit on them. And in extremis, you have some last-ditch ammo or trade goods.

My second reaction is, if you don't need the money right now, keep them, just 'cause.

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This has to be the most rude and obnoxious forms I have ever been on, sure the are some on here who reply that are polite.
Think its time to find a another one... LATTER
Lee if you knew half as much as you imply well-----The ranger talon and black talons where and are one of the most effective rounds made.

[This message has been edited by sig_in_tx (edited 10-16-2001).]

·
Registered
332 Posts
i read that gold dots had around a 96% one stop shot rating and the talons only had an 86% rating. not like that matters with proper shot placement, but i can get a box of gold dots for 12 bucks. seems logical to me.....

------------------
Nothing like the smell of Breakfree to make my day complete.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts