1911Forum banner

Should It Be Another Baer?

1585 Views 20 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  tsp45acp
I have recently started shooting in the USPSA. I completed my first scored go around this past weekend with my TRS and did very well for the first time out.

I saw all kinds of fancy schmancy guns there. STI's, Brazos and the like. The funny thing was I saw all sorts of malfunctions with these high end guns. FTF, jams, stove pipes etc... Thank God my TRS did not even burp. I did not want to have a malfunction on my first exposure to these guys and girls (of which 100% of them were very friendly and helpful).

I want to get another 1911 for these Limited 10 and Single Stack competitions. A friend has suggested I purchase a Baer P-II. How much different is the P-II from the TRS? I shot good with my TRS, but it is also my carry gun.

Wondering what you all think about the TRS vs another Baer for Competition or should I get into a RRA or STI or even a Springfield Leatham Custom?

All input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
3,408 Posts
Aside from adjustable sights, there's not much difference, for me, not enough difference between the TRS and the PII to make getting another gun justifiable. (I have a PII.)

If your sights are working for you, the money would be better spent on training class, ammo, Dillon 550 or any number of other things. If they're not, that's another story.

TRS can compete already in Limited-10, the provision Single Stack division, and you can at least enter it in Limited or even Open.

If the sights are working for you, you're good to go. The fact that you also carry this gun would be a big plus as well, I'd think. May be better to get a competition holster instead of your daily carry though. You didn't say what mags you're using, nor what division you entered.

Suggest you shoot some more matches before you go crazy buying stuff.
It's an expensive sport.

· Banned
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ranger said:
Aside from adjustable sights, there's not much difference, for me, not enough difference between the TRS and the PII to make getting another gun justifiable. (I have a PII.)

If your sights are working for you, the money would be better spent on training class, ammo, Dillon 550 or any number of other things. If they're not, that's another story.

TRS can compete already in Limited-10, the provision Single Stack division, and you can at least enter it in Limited or even Open.

If the sights are working for you, you're good to go. The fact that you also carry this gun would be a big plus as well, I'd think. May be better to get a competition holster instead of your daily carry though. You didn't say what mags you're using, nor what division you entered.

Suggest you shoot some more matches before you go crazy buying stuff.
It's an expensive sport.

The information gleaned here is awesome. I see things and go on spending sprees that sometimes I cannot justify. Oh wait...I can always justify them. I shot Limited 10 this past weekend in a USPSA sactioned competition. I was instructed, byt the RO, to shoot for accuracy my first time out and let the speed develop. Very wise advice. I did fine and actually only had one penalty. (Over zealous on one of the stages).

The mag issue has just come to mean something to me. I have realized that to effectively compete in Limited 10, I need to actually get the ten round mags to reduce my time. My eight rounders did well, but it was apparent that the extra two rounds are greatly needed in limited 10.

My TRS did fine. Not one malfunction. I think both of your words of wisdom are great. I do not have a broken machine, therefore I need not fix anything. I strongly agree that my carry gun can perform in competition. I do not foresee wanting to compete with a weapon that has bulky optics or enhancers. I think that competitng with my carry gun will benefit me in many more ways than not!

I am mad at myself for whimping out and not entering the USPSA shooting when the season started. It is a great challenge and the people there were great! Mitch, I want to go to some shooting events with you and see if I can keep up with the professional shooters like you!!!!!!

In any case, I may just stick to the TRS and maybe get the Stinger as a back up carry gun or even use my XD or modified Glock when I want to carry lighter weight weapons.

Thanks for the input guys!

· Registered
2,484 Posts
John,

I'm no professional shooter! :) I'm just a professional who carries a gun and takes all of the implications and responsibilities seriously. Thaks for the kind words, though. You need to come down to Cadiz with us in October for Steelpalooza II. It is a ton of fun and a worthwhile day of training.

· Banned
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mitch:

Send me an email with the information/times so I can get that day off!

· Registered
3,408 Posts
I shot four or five matches with 7 and 8 round magazines, and this was back before Limited-10, so I was shooting a 1911 single-stack .45 with these in LIMITED class. (I didn't win...) It's good practice to change magazines anyway, right? Plus you have to plan where you're going to make the changes. But you have to work on planning the stage anyway, this isn't something that comes naturally, so this isn't a bad thing.

About the time I surmised I was likely to continue the sport, they came out with Limited-10 class.

In the intervening years, I have since accumulated some 20 or so 10-round magazines, of various brands, and also bought a CR-Speed holster, SafariLand velcro belt, and Uncle Mike plastic mag carriers. I never start a stage with less than 6 10-round mags of exactly the same brand on my belt, and keep a "charging" magazine of 8-rounds in my back pocket.

Now the USPSA announced a Single-Stack class with 8-round mags as the maximum. If you want to save a little money, stick with good quality 8-round mags, minimum six, preferably identical. (But discreetly number them, for reasons that will become apparent over time...) These mags can double for both competition and carry if you do it this way. That's the only reason I suggest it. Idea is you can train with what you carry. Since we can't carry here, that's only a fantasy for me, so I don't know. If you don't care about these things, start on the 10-rounders, but better, seems to me, if all are the same brand. Kind of messes with your head to have a mix of some 8 and some 10. If you're going for 10 better to get a bunch at once, even though costly.

You can get a good, minimal, fast-releasing holster, like the LimCat, or the CR-Speed, or many other various 'race' holsters. (As far as I know there are no holster restrictions in SingleStack class, please correct me, somebody, if this is incorrect.) This mainly enhances the cool factor, gives you something to spend money on, and makes you feel faster on the stage (in reality time difference may not be significant.) Downside is, you're not practicing with what you carry with.

Shoot safe!

· Banned
569 Posts
MEH92 said:
John,

All kidding aside, Ranger has excellent advice.
+2 - eps the Dillon part

Also - Ranger has great advice on the holster part of things - at an IPSC match the gun spends more time in a bag than in a holster b/c with these race rigs you have a reasonable likelyhood of having your gun fall to the ground by being bumped out of the holster or damaged b/c the gun is exposed - although I recall a long time ago asking about bagging - the reply was "cuz dirt might get in the action and cause a failure" (classic!). They are single purpose expensive holsters. Yes, if you consistantly practice drawing from one - they *may* cut your El Presidente time by a couple tenths. However I see no real practical advantage on a typical COF. Caveat to that last comment - if you think it makes you faster - then so be it. A reasonable option is the Safariland 550 / 551 - it is however a poor choice as a real life carry rig. However tension is adj so it is quick, angle is adj so it is quick for you, and it is both IPSC and IDPA legal (providing you don't use the spacers).

To be fair - a straight drop Kydex is real dam fast. Most importantly - proper mechanics of a draw and consistant practice will beat any race rig wherein the owner doesn't practice.

Lastly - most of those failures - most are caused by mags - a mag is always the weak link in a pistol and that fact is exacerbated by the fact that IPSC shooters dump the mag on the reload - they get dirty, they get bent feed lips and a few get stepped on / kicked and broken. Also - every competitor is lookin for a way to gain and advantage - they are all tweeking their gun, mags, ammo - this is a source of problems in some case. Not to mention the sheer number of rounds that go through a match gun - every gun breaks at some point. All those smiths - they build good guns... don't think for a second that they don't.

Good luck

· Registered
238 Posts
ranger said:
You can get a good, minimal, fast-releasing holster, like the LimCat, or the CR-Speed, or many other various 'race' holsters. (As far as I know there are no holster restrictions in SingleStack class, please correct me, somebody, if this is incorrect.) This mainly enhances the cool factor, gives you something to spend money on, and makes you feel faster on the stage (in reality time difference may not be significant.) Downside is, you're not practicing with what you carry with.

Shoot safe!

Ranger -- I'll have to correct you. I was reading the rules this AM, and noticed: "Competition holsters of the race gun type are specifically not allowed....<etc>" Same basic holster/mag holder rules as Production Division.

· Registered
3,408 Posts
Thanks, I had a nagging doubt as I was writing it, I might be wrong about the holster deal. I think the rules just came out recently.

Wow they might as well call this the IDPA division of USPSA!

Makes it easy though, either get 10 round everything and a race holster, or save your money and use your carry gear.

If I didn't already have all this sh*t I'd stick with the Single-Stack division!

I have well over $500 in magazines, holsters and carriers. Wasted money now.

· Registered
276 Posts
Ranger hit the nail on the head

I have shot IPSC open class since 1987 ,3 single stacks and a hi-cap later I love Open class. but, If I was starting out again with the equipment you have I'd shoot single stack with a minimum of 6 8 round magazines and a non race holster then as I got some experience in the game then decide if I want to expand my arsenal to compete in another class.

Be careful, the sport is addictive!

· Registered
7,462 Posts
My only advice is to buy a magwell and install it. It only takes about a minute to change it and another minute at the end of the match to change back. A magwell makes a lot of difference on your mad changes. Make sure that your 10 rd'ers work with it. My wagwell on my wife's gun won't work with Chip McCormicks, but works with everything else. Tracy

· Registered
2,484 Posts
Why would a particular magwell not be compatable with a particular magazine? I could see the basepad not being tall enough to allow for easy seating, but what else could cause a problem?

Thanks

· Registered
159 Posts
MEH-92
I've had mags not fit because the floor plate was to wide to fit the well and wouldn't seat.

Paj
My advise is buy another 1911, Baer or otherwise you can never have to many. Fix it up the way you like for competition and then you don't have to futz with it all the time. Oh and while I'm spending your money get the Stinger too. :biglaugh:

· Registered
7,462 Posts
The black plastic basepad on CMC 10 rd'ers won't seat in the SA magwell. Tracy

· Registered
2,484 Posts
That must be a pretty big basepad! I have only Wilson 10-rounders and looking at some pics, I see they aren't even remotely close. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.