1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always heard that it was best if the grip panel covered the plunger tube. I understand why, but how important is it? There are alot of popular grip styles that do not do this. Has anyone had a problem with the tube coming loose while using a grip like the Pachmayr?

·
Registered
207 Posts
I doubt it would make any difference as long as the plunger tube is staked correctly.............if you notice all "slim" grips have an exposed plunger tube (grips are too thin to cover it).

Pretty much is a manufacturer thing.........I personally like grips that do cover the plunger tube from an asthetic standpoint.

·
Administrator
73,854 Posts
Grips covering the plunger tube were part of the original military design, which provided some means to keep the plunger tube in place and the weapon functioning even if it came loose. On a modern commercial pistol it's not a big deal as long as you inspect the plunger tube occasionally for looseness.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Yes, but a decision to use thin grips may require the tradeoff.

Yes, but a decision to use thin grips may require the tradeoff.

I do use thin grips and short triggers myself. I'd be just as happy to have something in the nature of thin aluminum or even titanium grips with a swell to cover the plunger tube but I don't think there is much point in trying to do anything with wood. My carry gun has thin smooth ivory (along with checkering on the front strap and mainspring housing.) where I'd expect any top swell to be both useless and fragile.

I find the issue discussed in several threads including:
Grip Fitting
Plunger Tube Repair - Word of encouragement
Spring and plunger tube restaking?
Plunger Tube loose.
GI plunger tube problem

at which point I stopped reading the search results.
Of course these may all be the result of only one problem mentioned many times. There have been several different designs to make the plunger tube attachment more secure including integral with the frame, staked 4 places and threaded rather than staked.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
After having 2 plunger tubes come loose, one on an SA CarryComp, and another on am Essex build-up, I resorted to the thumb shield made by Pachmayer for the CarryComp. It replaces the plunger tube and is held in place by the upper grip screw. One caveat: The grips have to be inletted for the shield. This is LOTS of 'fun' when using the steel-cored Pachmayers.:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,305 Posts
Two of my guns have had loose plunger tubes for a number of years. I didn't know about it until I had them detail-stripped, and then, I put off (am putting off) having them fixed because the grips hold the tubes in place.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hi RickB, put a drop of RED loc-tite on the p/tube rivets(from mag. well)and wiggle the tube to work the l/tite in and then let it sit overnight near something warm and that p/tube will be GTG:rock:
Respectfully,
LG

·
Registered
305 Posts
I had a plunger tube come loose. Had a problem with the safety and had to take a close look to figure it out. Then I figured out the grip was holding it in and thought wow, what a cool little detail. There are a lot of little things in the 1911 like that.

The only problem though was although it held the plunger on, this grip held it loose enough that the detent lodged under the safety shelf and kept the safety from going down, though I suppose if I had the original mil-spec little safety, it would not have locked up.

·
Registered
412 Posts
The only problem though was although it held the plunger on, this grip held it loose enough that the detent lodged under the safety shelf and kept the safety from going down, though I suppose if I had the original mil-spec little safety, it would not have locked up.
Depends on the grips as well. I've got a set of the ~$25 Hogue hardwood grips that I actually had to fit on to my gun. The grips are tight right up against the puncher tube. I'd have to remove the grips before I even knew there was a problem with it.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
The plunger tube fell out of my Springfield Loaded when I removed the left grip.

I wiggled all my M1911 plunger tubes and a couple others were loose. I bought the vice-grip style plunger tube staking tool and all if well. You can stake the tube feet with the slide off, no detailed disassembly required.

-- Chuck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts