1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, if this is the wrong section to post I apoligize

I finally bought a sholder holster, seems great for short term wear (maybe even longer). I asked if the holster would retain a gun cocked and locked. The salesman looked at me kinda funny and said, "oh yea". So I take it home and the gun fits in the holster great, real tight. Perfect. Then when I attach the thumb break it automatically disengages the thumb safety. Now there is a big honky piece of leather in front of the hammer but is this safe for CCW? Is this a design flaw or some tactical advantage? I am able to stretch the leather enough to throw the safety on by force, but its seems it will very likely go off safe (unlock) with movement. My in home tests are showing it will hold for short periods.

So, is this normal?

Is this unsafe?

I've always been taught "cocked and locked" and that cocked and unlocked is unsafe, should I continue to stretch out the leather in the thumb break (which could weaken the break point and make it mushy) ??? :scratch:

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
No, that ain't the way it's s'pozed to be.
When closed, the thumb break on a 1911 shoulder rig should not disengage the thumb safety. If yours does, you'll be drawing your 1911 and holding it "cocked and unlocked" whether you want it that way or not, unless and until you bump that thumb safety lever up.

I hate thumb breaks. They either stretch out and get slack (whether reinforced or not), or are too tight at the snap or are awkward to access, with the same ultimate result, that they fail to open easily and readily enough when there's urgent need for the gun now. Some makers' designs do work better than others, however.

I'd recommend Lou Alessi's pull-through snap arrangement on his Bodyguard rig for 1911 shoulder holster carry.

·
Registered
759 Posts
...unfortunately, you bought a piece of crap - and should return it ASAP, especially as it carried your weapon in an unsafe manner AND not in the manner described by the "clueless" salesman. Lou's Bodyguard and pull through is a wonderful design, but if you desire the thumb break, then take a good hard look at Josh Bulman's shoulder rigs - www.bulmangunleather.com - I have a thread on the latest Bulman rig in the holsters section of this website - these are some of the pics included. Unfortunately, IMO, in the world of holsters, you get what you pay AND wait for!

Attachments

·
Registered
867 Posts
Great looking rig, Kimber Dude!

It looks like the fit, and indentations in the trigger guard area of the holster, enhance the retention with the snap open. He looks like one of the few makers these days with the magazines stored horizontzlly.

Good shooting!
:) :) :) :)

·
Registered
759 Posts
Brooklyn South said:
It looks like the fit, and indentations in the trigger guard area of the holster, enhance the retention with the snap open. He looks like one of the few makers these days with the magazines stored horizontzlly.

Good shooting!
:) :) :) :)
...yes, the gun snaps in tight, but comes flying out with a quick tug - it's the fastest shoulder rig I've EVER had.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.