1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am new here....

The Heritage is my first 1911...(can't wait to get it home!:bawling:)

I live just over the river from Missouri in Illinois. I am in St. Louis 2-3 weekends a month so I carry pretty often for an IL guy.(PA permit)

I have never carried a 1911 so I was thinking about a shoulder holster for this winter to wear under my jacket....

Anyone do this?

Recomendations?

Should I not? If so what should I do and what holster?

For Ref:
I usually pocket carry or ankle carry...sometimes OWB....

So the 1911 in a shoulder holster will not be my only option for carry.

Thanks,
JayAK

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I've heard it is not very comfortable and around here it seldom gets cold enough for me to wear a coat other than going to and from the car. Your region of the country may be different.

·
Banned
2,416 Posts
I can't comment on a should holster other than to say I was steered away from them, and am glad I was.

If you want a great IWB holster that is relatively cheap, super comfortable, and doesn't have a long lead time, check out the SuperTuck by CrossBreed.

If you carry alot, I think you will like it. It will also fit any size 1911, so you won't need to buy a new one for each new DW you get...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Last year we had an ice storm that knocked out the power to some areas for weeks... We were rocking the generator for several days in my neck of the woods...

So yea it can get pretty cold... lol

How do you carry a full size 1911? or do you?:confused:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't comment on a should holster other than to say I was steered away from them, and am glad I was.

If you want a great IWB holster that is relatively cheap, super comfortable, and doesn't have a long lead time, check out the SuperTuck by CrossBreed.

If you carry alot, I think you will like it. It will also fit any size 1911, so you won't need to buy a new one for each new DW you get...
I don't think my pants have room to stick a gun in there lol...

I have put on a few lbs and inches in the last year or 2:(....

·
Banned
2,416 Posts
I don't think my pants have room to stick a gun in there lol...

I have put on a few lbs and inches in the last year or 2:(....
Hmmm - Maybe time for a diet and some gym time? It worked to me. :)

Take care of it now, or it never stops!! :eek:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm - Maybe time for a diet and some gym time? It worked to me. :)

Take care of it now, or it never stops!! :eek:
Yea I used to work out 5 days a week and watched what I ate...for the last 9 years or so...

I got lazy and put on some pounds....:barf:

I just re-uped my gym membership though and I am starting this weekend...:rock:

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have an El Paso Saddlery Spyder shoulder holster. Horizontal carry with double mag pouch. Very comfortable. However, I don't use it very much, as I seldom wear a jacket. I have probably worn it more while hunting than anything else.

I wouldn't steer you toward one or away from one. One thing to remember, once you take off the jacket- there it is. You may or may not want to display your weapon, depending on what kind of company you are in.

I agree with the rec on the Crossbreed Supertuck though, very comfortable. I have one in horsehide, which is more resistant to sweat.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I received my Mitch Rosen Express shoulder holster for my CBOB yesterday. Horizontal carry, 2 mag holders. I wore it all last night, and it is very comfortable, and surprisingly concealable. Drawing from it is not as fast or natural as from your waist - but I bought it to have in one way as a holster rig that I can toss on quickly should I have to, and not fumble around with my belt or pants. It will serve my purpose nicely. I'll be posting some pics later tonight.

·
Premium Member
7,725 Posts
I received my Mitch Rosen Express shoulder holster for my CBOB yesterday. Horizontal carry, 2 mag holders. I wore it all last night, and it is very comfortable, and surprisingly concealable. Drawing from it is not as fast or natural as from your waist - but I bought it to have in one way as a holster rig that I can toss on quickly should I have to, and not fumble around with my belt or pants. It will serve my purpose nicely. I'll be posting some pics later tonight.
Why don't you post a pic of your shoulder holster for us.

Clyde

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
I haven't used a shoulder holster in YEARS, but I'll see if I can remember the details. :biglaugh:
I can't answer as to long term carry comfort as when I wore one it was only for about 3 hours at a time. It had wide straps, so it wasn't a problem for me at that amount of time.
I remember the biggest problem I had with it (and the reason that I stopped using one all together) was that no matter what I did, the weapon was flopping against me and then away from me which kind of drew attention to my weapon as my jacket was constantly being pushed outward. I tried the tie down straps, but found them to be very constricting on movements involving raising my arms above shoulder level. I tried both the horizontal AND the vertical holster with the harness system. I thought it was just me, after all, if Sonny Crockett wore one they HAD to be good right? :biglaugh: With the advent of quality IWB holsters, I went that way and have never looked back. If you can, pick up an old ratty one for cheap at a gun show and wear it around to see how YOU like it before clunking down $$$ on a better, new rig.
Good luck in your search!
Sarge

·
Banned
486 Posts
The only think I will say, is for me carrying the same way all the time is a really good way to not hesitate when you are in **** and you need to pull it? Would you be so used to the side carry that you went that way first, even if you didn't commit to the side pull the hesitation could introduce you to jesus early. So if you get used to a shoulder rig, what to do in the summer? back to the hip?

I carry in the same way, all the time. I always know it's a 1911, and I always know it's where I practiced pulling it from for 4 years. Has to help the draw, no way it can hurt

I will say this about Mitch , I ordered a shoulder holster, got here and it was up in my pits tight, I MEASURED!

And when I called him he was a smart ass, asked me if I wanted my holster down by me knees, got really nasty and just said send it back I am not selling you a shoulder holster, send it back, I was respectful, don't know if being asked about something I wasn't happy with did it, but his ego is large.

Nothing personal, and I am not saying I won't ever buy another one from them. They make a quality holster. I am not bashing,
He was really really nasty and full of himself, I wonder if he knows he is not the only one making good holsters.

He is really good, he just thinks he is better than he is, shown by his a crappy attitude on the phone taking an order wrong,
I don't care if you are backed up or not, taking an order with a little focus and a tad more time would have gotten me a nice rig. You gotta at least make it right to be able to bitch out your customer.

But I am determined now to only carry one way every time. Just for me, it's repetition, and it's going to pay off if it ever needs to come out quickly.

I am a fan of the Wilson Combat leather. The lo profile is perfect for me and I weigh 265 and have NO print at all with it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts