1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never had much to do with shoulder holsters, but I've messed up my shoulder and can't use a strong-side carry for some time. I'm considering a horizontal shoulder holster for my kimber gov't 45. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Most of the holsters that I've looked at have thumbreaks, but one or two have talked about pull throughs. I'm familiar with thumbreaks, but not pull throughs. What are the pros and cons?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Galco makes a couple of different horizontal rigs. I had one and it was nice. I got rid of it though as it did not fit my needs of carry(I rarely wear jackets or concealing garments). Try www.usgalco.com for your info. As for the pull through, I am not familiar as the Galco I had was a thumb break.

------------------
Simian

NRA Life Member

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,056 Posts
I use the Galco Jackass, which is something of a diagonal design. The idea being, if your barrel is long enough, a horizontal design will allow the muzzle to print at the back. The longer the barrel, the greater the angle. It works pretty well. The Jackass has a standard thumb break. Alessi makes (or made) a horizontal design with a pull-through snap. The male side of the snap is on one side, the female on the other, and they snap together within the triggr guard. To draw the gun, just jerk it out. I had a holster with such a snap, not Alessi's, and it seemed like a good design. Properly executed, I think I would prefer the pull-through to the thumb-break, as I'm not as accustomed to having a snap or strap to negotiate on the draw.

·
Banned
1,482 Posts
Best shoulder rig I've ever owned--and it's not cheap--is the Rosen rig. No tie-downs, fits snugly right under the armpit, very stable, no thumb break, just throw it on and go. I'd highly recommend it for it's great design.

------------------
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Paladin:
Best shoulder rig I've ever owned--and it's not cheap--is the Rosen rig. No tie-downs, fits snugly right under the armpit, very stable, no thumb break, just throw it on and go. I'd highly recommend it for it's great design.
I assume that you mean Mitch Rosen. I just went to his site and looked. All he has is the Stylemaster shoulder holser in his regular line, and it appears to have a thumbreak. In his express line the glock may or may not be using a thumb break. What model holster are you using, and what weapon are you carrying?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Originally posted by ranger53:
I've never had much to do with shoulder holsters, but I've messed up my shoulder and can't use a strong-side carry for some time. I'm considering a horizontal shoulder holster for my kimber gov't 45. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Most of the holsters that I've looked at have thumbreaks, but one or two have talked about pull throughs. I'm familiar with thumbreaks, but not pull throughs. What are the pros and cons?

I've used a couple different Bianchi models and both have their pros and cons:

The X-15 is a verticle rig w/ a spring-style rentention clip and an open front (what I'm assuming you're referring to w/ "pull through"). The problems I've encountered with this style are:

They're made to general gun proportions (i.e. small, medium, large etc.). Not sure if I'd trust a "general" design holster for cocked and locked carry, I used it for a Ruger P-89. Also, the harness for the strong side shoulder is an elastic band design - I found it not only gripped my shirt, but also pulled at my neck and was generally uncomfortable. Lastly, without knowing much about your injury, would the act of breaking through the retention spring be too rough on your shoulder?

The X-16 "Agent" is a horizontal rig. Much better harness in full leather and very comfortable for extended wear. This model uses a thumb break for retention as well as being boned to a specific gun. As I used mine for a Beretta 92fs, I can't say how well the thumb break would work for condition one carry. If choosing between the two models, I'd pick the X-16.

Sorry to be so long winded, hopefully you'll find this useful.

Mac

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Maclean3:

I've used a couple different Bianchi models and both have their pros and cons:

The X-15 is a verticle rig w/ a spring-style rentention clip and an open front (what I'm assuming you're referring to w/ "pull through"). The problems I've encountered with this style are:

They're made to general gun proportions (i.e. small, medium, large etc.). Not sure if I'd trust a "general" design holster for cocked and locked carry, I used it for a Ruger P-89. Also, the harness for the strong side shoulder is an elastic band design - I found it not only gripped my shirt, but also pulled at my neck and was generally uncomfortable. Lastly, without knowing much about your injury, would the act of breaking through the retention spring be too rough on your shoulder?

The X-16 "Agent" is a horizontal rig. Much better harness in full leather and very comfortable for extended wear. This model uses a thumb break for retention as well as being boned to a specific gun. As I used mine for a Beretta 92fs, I can't say how well the thumb break would work for condition one carry. If choosing between the two models, I'd pick the X-16.

Sorry to be so long winded, hopefully you'll find this useful.

Mac
I looked at an X-16 last weekend. Unfortunately, it appeared to be set up for carry with the hammer down. The strap fit nicely across the back of the hammer, but was far too loose, in my opinion, to be released in a reliable manner.

·
Banned
1,482 Posts
My apologies, Ranger. I zoned on the thumb break. It does have one. I was referring to the Stylemaster. I had mine done in black shark and cordovan trim. The thumb break, however, is very easy to manipulate. Sorry about the misinformation on my end. It's still a great rig!

------------------
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've been very happy with my Galco Miami Classic. Very comfortable and decent quality. I agree with RickB that the Jackass would probably work a bit better for longer barreled guns but I bought mine before Galco reintroduced it. Although, for my Officer's and Commander length slides, I have no problems with printing.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I only have a use for one maybe 2 mos. of the year when I can wear a jacket,but when I wear one it's Galco's SSII(?).It's the Miami Classic with wider shoulder straps.They spread the load of heavier gun/spare mags better,and don't seem to print as bad under thinner jackets.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts