1911Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since Sparks, Alessi don't make them, it's probably a stupid question, BUT, shoulder holsters have a fascination for me. Are they all bad? The "Miami Classic" and "Jackass" rigs, by Galco, sure look comfortable and practical. I believe "Horseshoe Leather" does make them, also.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Shoulder holsters have always been a hot topic, and will probably always be.

In my opinion, if it works well for you, then you should use it. Don't worry about what everyone else is saying.
It is a known fact this type of holster is good for people with bad backs, or those who sit at a desk or in a car much of the time.

Some just do not like them because they are a little flashy(Don Johnson, Arnold Schwarzenegger,etc.)

Shoulder holsters can be a valuable gun carrying system, if they fit your needs and you are willing to practice with them.

For any holster to work,you must be willing to practice with it!

[This message has been edited by mcgrubbs (edited 09-16-2001).]

·
Registered
114 Posts
If Lou Alessie doesn't make them then somebody copied his label on mine
I have had one from him for 7 months.

-- Chuck

·
Banned
1,482 Posts
I'd highly recommend Mitch Rosen's shoulder rig. Very well designed and comfortable.

McGrubbs--why wouldn't you use a fanny pack when jogging or recreationally walking/hiking? It would seem that, when pumping your arms regularly when jogging that the shoulder rig would chafe under your arms. A fanny pack is very easy to wear, easy to access and can carry other little items like keys, mace, cell phones, etc.

------------------
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I want to add that Rosen's shoulder rigs are quite nice. I do agree on that!

[This message has been edited by mcgrubbs (edited 09-20-2001).]

·
Registered
19 Posts
Give Galco's rigs a try, I've toted a
SIG P220 in a Miami Classic and a Glock
23 in a Jackass Rig... both were very
comfortable and worked well for me.
The shoulder rig may not be for everyone,
but the only way to know is to try one
yourself. They're great if you're gonna
be driving a lot or sitting a lot. I
especially liked them in the winter months
when wearing heavy coats. I found the Galco
shoulder rigs very quick and effective to
draw from under a big jacket.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, people! Good feedback. There are times when it seems the perfect rig, especially when my back is acting up!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I picked up an Alessi "pull through" at a pawn shop that I use all the time.
I find it much more convievent and out of the way than a belt holster.
If I go to the range, then I do the belt holster.

Buy the way: the Kimber CDP is barely noticable in a good shoulder rig.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
A friend uses his shoulder rig only for when he is out in the boonies and may end up wading or wading unexpectantly. They aren't 'bad' and some people really like them, but they seem to be one of the holsters most commonly bought and discarded to the back of a drawer. You will find a LOT of people who own or did own them, but few that use them. If it works well for you, great!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Originally posted by Buckster:
I picked up an Alessi "pull through" at a pawn shop that I use all the time.
How secure would you consider the "pull through"? Would you go bouncing across the desert on an ATV with it, for instance?

I have been considering this holster, and this is my one reservation.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Doug29, one recent experience regarding the use of a shoulder rig. I went to a range (non-local) with a buddy, and a handgun defense class was just finishing up in the main room - near the indoor range. The instructor noticed that I came in wearing my Galco Miami Classic with my Beretta 92FS.

Apparently, he had just given some instruction on holsters to use for self-defense, etc. Well, he stopped everyone and demonstrated on me! He showed how a 'smart' attacker could easily render a person carrying a shoulder rig - useless.

Needless to say, I've since sold my Beretta 92FS - with my shoulder rig.

PS. I carry only a 1911 with IWB, SOB or Paddle.

-Nick

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wasn't there, NIck, sooooooo.....don't let anyone know that you're wearing a gun, first, then keep a personal "safe" zone! Seems to me, ANY carry could be "neutralized".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts