1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

Have any of you ever carried your EB's in a shoulder holster and if so how did you like it? It may be a nutty idea, :eek: but I am entertaining the idea as I wear sports coats and suit coats often as a Pastor. I can see the good points of no pants sag and no need of bigger waisted pants. Also, who makes a good SH rig?

Sincerely,

PastorDW

·
Banned
612 Posts
Shoulder holsters and outside waist band holsters are very comfortable.
I thing the vertical shoulder holster would be more concealable.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I use an Alessi Bodyguard. Very comfortable and extremely well made. I feel Alessi offers the best quality for the dollar.

·
Registered
718 Posts
A properly adjusted shoulder rig is very comfortable and might be a good solution so long as the jacket stays on. Not sure about yours, but our church has a lot of huggers and you kind of have to figure out how to hug without being outed or how to avoid them all together. I also agree a vertical rig is easier to conceal than horizontal.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Pastor,

I’ve been carrying 1911’s a long time. I’ve tried just about every method known to man ☺.

Now being North of 60 years and my ever changing waistline, my inside the pants days are gone. I have an older rig, DeSantis brand, horizontal style shoulder holster that works great. The off side has a two magazine holder. It’s open ended so both my KC and my full sized Colt fit in it. You have to wear a little larger jacket to accommodate the extra bulk under your arms, at least in my case. I use it all the time in jacket or heavy shirt season as it allows easier access while seated in a car etc.

The vertical rig is going add more bulk down your side but as others have stated probably less chance someone feeling it after a church service.

There are a number of companies and custom makers that make nice rigs. They are an investment so I suggest if you can, maybe borrow one and see which style you prefer.

I’ve had to resort to wearing suspenders sometimes when carrying a behind the hip belt holster in an effort to keep my pants up…. Just love getting old………

Regards, Bob

·
Banned
1,327 Posts
Checkout www.andrewsleather.com they have a monarch rig.Look's like the can hold any size 1911 with the open end.

·
Registered
718 Posts
One other thought -- The holster should cover the barrel in a horizontal shoulder rig or you'll quickly wear a hole in your jacket/suit/sport coat/tuxedo from sitting and leaning against the back of a chair, upholstered or not.

·
Registered
718 Posts
....I’ve had to resort to wearing suspenders sometimes when carrying a behind the hip belt holster in an effort to keep my pants up…. Just love getting old………

Regards, Bob
Amen and amen. I wear suspenders all the time and carry a full size 1911 all day with no discomfort at all.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I have a Galco Miami Classic rig which fits my 1911's, but never use it.

I too am north of 60, but still carry my 1911's strong side, either OWB or in one of my IWB Milt Sparks holsters, depending upon the situation and how tight my pants are feeling that day. :rofl:

I have used a lot of horizontal and vertical rigs over the years for both revolvers and semi autos, and tend to like the horizontal rigs like the Galco or Alessi best for concealed carry, although I am not a fan of cross draw with any rig. I adjust mine where the muzzle is higher than grip, which gives less of an opportunity to print in the back.

Although I fond the Galco rigs worked nicely with my Beretta 92FS Compact, I never bonded with it for the 1911's because of the weight of the guns.

Another consideration is range use, where locally they are not allowed, if that is a factor you want to consider. They are also a trick to get rid of unnoticed if you need to remove it in public for some reason. Also, they don't make it any cooler under a covering garment in warm weather.

Bottom line, other than possibly for use in the field under a jacket to protect the gun from the elements and get it out of the way of a long gun carried on a sling, I pretty much leave my four or five shoulder rigs home in a box.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ordered

Based on a high recommendation of a friend, a couple of weeks ago I ordered a new shoulder holster from shoulderholster.us I have tried a couple of other rigs for other pistols, but they always came up short for me. When I saw the ones at J.R. Roscoe's shop above, I thought "This one is going to work." I liked their design and the folks are nice too. I hope it fits as well as I'm hoping it does. 9 weeks out, 7 to go.
It doesn't look like the site name I posted didn't come through as a link. Do I have to do something special to make link appear as a link? Thanks

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
Based on a high recommendation of a friend, a couple of weeks ago I ordered a new shoulder holster from shoulderholster.us I have tried a couple of other rigs for other pistols, but they always came up short for me. When I saw the ones at J.R. Roscoe's shop above, I thought "This one is going to work." I liked their design and the folks are nice too. I hope it fits as well as I'm hoping it does. 9 weeks out, 7 to go.
It doesn't look like the site name I posted didn't come through as a link. Do I have to do something special to make link appear as a link? Thanks
http://www.shoulderholster.us

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
A horizontal shoulder holster violates Rule #2: Never cover anything with the muzzle you don't want to destroy. Therefore, I wouldn't use one.

Vertical shoulder holsters can have the same problem as you draw the gun. Most, as the gun is drawn, have to bring the gun around in such a manner that they cover their support arm as they present the gun. If you're following the proper procedure, finger off the trigger until pointed in, then it shouldn't be an issue. However, under stress everything changes.

I'm not "anti" shoulder holster. Just pointing out some obvious things. I try to keep things as simple as possible. This is why I like OWB at about 8:30-9:00 (lefty).

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. I have IWB VM II's for my KC and my EE, but like I said I'm entertaining the idea of something different for CC. I like the idea of vertical opposed to horizontal in the shoulder holster. Your suggestions are appreciated. :cool:

Sincerely,

PastorDW

·
Registered
919 Posts
Couple of comments for you to consider, Pastor. My thoughts, based upon career law enforcement and later corporate personal security, would include the rather terminal drawbacks of a shoulder rig or to a lessor degree cross draw belt holsters. Most importantly is the inherent risk of placing the grip of your gun in a straightforward, easily grasped position for any adversary within arms reach or lunging distance. Over the years I've encountered many circumstances where this setup can result in a wrestling match over the weapon …. never a good circumstance. Secondly, I must agree with the previously posted comments on horizontal shoulder carry. Worthless, if you have any concern for "friendlies" behind or in a 108 arc to your carry side. Vertical carry, although not as dangerous to others creates a drastic change to presenting your weapon in obtaining a learned two handed grip.

Just some thoughts …..

·
Banned
1,327 Posts
Couple of comments for you to consider, Pastor. My thoughts, based upon career law enforcement and later corporate personal security, would include the rather terminal drawbacks of a shoulder rig or to a lessor degree cross draw belt holsters. Most importantly is the inherent risk of placing the grip of your gun in a straightforward, easily grasped position for any adversary within arms reach or lunging distance. Over the years I've encountered many circumstances where this setup can result in a wrestling match over the weapon …. never a good circumstance. Secondly, I must agree with the previously posted comments on horizontal shoulder carry. Worthless, if you have any concern for "friendlies" behind or in a 108 arc to your carry side. Vertical carry, although not as dangerous to others creates a drastic change to presenting your weapon in obtaining a learned two handed grip.

Just some thoughts …..
What's nice about the monarch rig is you can get a weak hand blade built into the rig such as a Gerber Mark 1 or Cold Steel Tanto. And with a stiff arm you can defend from a weapon grab.I'm having one built and it cover's all my .45s.Got the 3mag combo and the sheath for the Gerber.Found a few original Gerber Mark 1s on ebay...but Gerber also has an anniversary Mark 1 w/S30V steel.You can also find these on ebay for about $100 if you shop around.I'm not concerned with it ripping through clothes cause it will be used casually and not in business attire where maybe a closed end holster would be better. I'm just a wealth of information! LOL!

·
Banned
1,327 Posts
Gerber Mark 1 35th Anniversary

Don't pay $300!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts