1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a new 9mm gun for fun/plinking.

I'm confused... does Baer offer the PII in 9mm? What about the TRS? Or just the models listed on the website?

If you have a 9mm Baer, tell me about it, and please post pictures!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm not going to re-post the pics, but I will provide the link. The pistol currently has ~600 rounds down range and the slide is as smooth as glass. It is very accurate and I don't think that you can go wrong with a Baer. I can't answer your other model questions.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a 9mm PII on order...about halfway there. I know you can get a PII and a Custom Carry (virtually the same gun with different sights and I think more of a carry melt on the CC).

TRS is not offered in 9mm. I wanted one too.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have owned two TRS pistols (in 45ACP of course) in the past. I currently own four Browns and a Nighthawk.

I'm looking to pick up a new 9mm plinker, and figure having a Baer back in the stable would be great. So you Baer 9mm owners are overall happy with the performance and reliability of your guns?

I have to admit I am hesitant about a 9mm 1911 due to stories about reliability issues, but I do like the idea.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I have a PII in 9mm, shooting it is a hoot. I only use it as a range gun not reliable enough yet for a SD gun.

If you get one throw away the Baer mags they are junk and try Tripp Cobra mags, mine will not run reliably on Wilsons at all. I also had to change the slide stop to a true 9mm/38 super, the one installed was dimensioned for .45 and would not lock the slide back consistently.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
My Les Baer PII 9mm has around 2000 rounds down range without a hitch. I ordered it with naked slide, delete front cocking serrations, 1 1/2" @ 50 yards, and 20 lpi MSH. Only thing is the magazines are not the best and I recommend getting some Tripp mags. Wilson mags don't work to well in my Baer.

Pretty much what I was told is if they make it in .38 Super, then it can be made in 9mm.

·
Registered
95 Posts
So you Baer 9mm owners are overall happy with the performance and reliability of your guns?

I have to admit I am hesitant about a 9mm 1911 due to stories about reliability issues, but I do like the idea.
I am very happy with the Baer 9mm. It has been very reliable for me. To date I have had zero failures with the Baer mags. I did have three (3) fail to feeds with the Wilson ETM's. My pistol does not like them at all. The ETM springs are very stiff and I keep them loaded in hopes of relaxing the springs a bit, but so far it hasn't worked for me.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm still looking at other options including the Sig X5, but I'm probably going to end up ordering a 9mm Baer from CJ in the next week or two.

What is the wait time for custom orders looking like right now?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've posted this picture before, but since you asked . . . . It is a 9mm PII with a gold bead front sight, Wilson Combat Bulletproof ambi safety and Ed Brown magwell (sight, safety, and magwell work done by Alchemy Custom). It is still relatively new to me and only has about 1000 rounds through it. It runs quite well, is accurate, and is tremendous fun to shoot.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why did you order a PII with a fixed combat sight? Isn't there a different model available in 9mm that comes standard with the combat sight?

Just curious, it will aid me in choosing my own 9mm Baer. Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Why did you order a PII with a fixed combat sight? Isn't there a different model available in 9mm that comes standard with the combat sight?

Just curious, it will aid me in choosing my own 9mm Baer. Thanks for posting!

There are two reasons, I guess. First, I have a .45 PII with adjustable rear sights and was open to the idea of the fixed sight. Second, and perhaps most importantly, this is what CJ had in stock when I called him. I wanted to use the pistol in an upcoming bowling pin match and, since I was open to a fixed sight, I didn't particularly want to wait for a different configuration to be ordered. The pistol originally came with a fiber optic front sight and single sided safety. I'm a lefty, so installing an ambi was a must. I realized quickly that I like the adjustable rear sight better, but could work with the fixed rear sight. I absolutely hated the fiber optic sight though -- too thin and too hard for me to pick up. For me, the gold bead is a much better option.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm thinking that the adjustable rear with a tritium front will work best for me. I shoot indoors a lot, and I've heard that the gold beads are difficult to pick up in low light - much like fiber optic (which I do not like at all).

I don't currently own any 1911's with adjustable sights. All my Ed Brown and Nighthawk 1911's wear 10-8 rear sights, and my custom Colts have Heine Slant Pro. I've never really felt a need for adjustables, but on a range gun, I might as well give them a try.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
If you go to the Les Baer website, Prices and Ordering, every 1911
offered with .38 Super is also available with 9mm.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm thinking that the adjustable rear with a tritium front will work best for me. I shoot indoors a lot, and I've heard that the gold beads are difficult to pick up in low light - much like fiber optic (which I do not like at all).

I don't currently own any 1911's with adjustable sights. All my Ed Brown and Nighthawk 1911's wear 10-8 rear sights, and my custom Colts have Heine Slant Pro. I've never really felt a need for adjustables, but on a range gun, I might as well give them a try.
I don't have any problem with the gold bead at an indoor range. It reflects even dim light well. As for the adjustable rear sight - I've never adjusted it. It came well zeroed and I quickly figured out my holds at 10, 15, and 20 yards (where I do most of my shooting).

Good luck with the purchase! You can't go wrong with a Baer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
One of my four Baer pistols is a 6" PPC in 9mm. It has only been used with 147 gr cast reloads. Itis a dependable weapon with cast reloads, never a problem with over 4300 shot to date.
As others have stated, the mags Les sells feed alright but tend to break off the baseplate. He replaced it but there must be something better.
For what it's worth; I had ordered a Bullseye wadcutter in 9mm but Les won't build one. His catalog says other chambering on request but apparently that doesn't include 9mm.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Is that the brushed hard chrome? I had a TRS with that finish once upon a time.

I'm thinking about trying the bead blasted hard chrome or "matte" hard chrome.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
You guys who had trouble using a FO front sight, was the FO red? Men's eyes lose sensitivity to red as we age.

You can buy a foot of green FO from Dawson Precision for $10. Its worth every penny. I hated FO sights until I put the green stuff in.

Some very pretty guns here. I recently got a Dan Wesson PM9. Its a very nice gun, but the slide doesn't have that gliding on bearings feel that my baer does. The trigger is actually nicer than my .45 PII.

With that said, there's a part of me that wants to sell it and get a 9mm baer. I've just had such good luck with my PII.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.