1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 622 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple project firearms that are nearing completion. I've been thinking about a custom Caspian as my next project. Wondering if any of you would be willing to post pictures of your hand-built Caspians on this thread....give me some inspiration and ideas.

Plan is to start out with a custom one for me, then eventually build three more for my kids (for when they come of age for the 45acp).

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,968 Posts
Lots already posted...

jakes10mm said:
I have a couple project firearms that are nearing completion. I've been thinking about a custom Caspian as my next project. Wondering if any of you would be willing to post pictures of your hand-built Caspians on this thread....give me some inspiration and ideas.
Thanks!
Search the gunsmithing forum for ideas. Lots of 'em there. I assume you have been to the Caspian website:
http://www.caspianarms.com/
It is also a good idea to decide what you want to build and then look at the way others have done it. (Like, to lightrail or not to lightrail...5" or 6"...comp or no... double or single stack, flattop or round...). Photos and/or diagrams of how others have build theirs to include what parts you want to use: Kart or [name] barrel? Wilson or CM extractor or mag release? Oversize mag release? Ambi safety? Checkering? How many dpi?? And hundreds of other questions you would like to answer before beginning your project. Then select the frame (Steel, Aluminum or Titanium??) style and slide (Steel, Damascus?) and decide if you want to size it yourself or not...and on and on. Lots of fun (I like it).:)

·
Registered
249 Posts
9mm (best gun I have ever seen, shot anything-priceless to me)

Damascus .45

.40 commander size

.45 double stack commander size

38 super short

38 super long

these are all on Caspian's site but my old photobucket account crashed so I needed to repost here anyway.

·
Registered
321 Posts
After Popa, I kinda hate to post my lonely one:

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is my 1st complete build. It was a Christmas gift to my father and is his most prized possession. It is a tack driver to boot even with his old eyes.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Nice guns everyone.

popa1911: What mags are you using with your doublestack 45? Work well, feeding, etc?

It's too bad no one has used that frame for production models...nice feel to them IMHO.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Popa1911,

Can you post a pic of the left side of the .40 Commander? I would like to see the Nil grips and how they are made to go around the thumb safety area.

Thanks,

Josh

·
Registered
321 Posts
It is a thumb guard/shield to keep a 'high thumb hold' clear of the cocking serrations. It replaces the plunger tube along with covering part of the serrations.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I have one right now that is not complete. It will be a full house sleeper. I have posted some of the pics on the gunsmithing section under my old user name of Deezulsmoke. http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=137945&highlight=work+white
I have decided to replace the non roll marked Colt slide that I was going to use with a Caspian GI slide. I am anxious to get this build finished and blued, but I will now have to wait on the slide. Should also be a tack driver and very traditional looking with all of the good stuff on the inside. It has George's new ignition set less the hammer from EGW and I cannot say enough good stuff about that set. This will be one of the "demo" guns that I am building to get the gunsmithing business of to a dull roar. I also have some other builds scheduled with some other customers and that I will be talking more about as they progress. Both are full house builds based on Caspian frames and slides and won't be .45s, will be something else a lot more exciting and different. Will post pics as soon as I have something new to show.

OT1911 aka Deez.

1 - 20 of 622 Posts