1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'll start. This was my first attempt at holster making. I made this for SASS, with the help of a 50 year custom saddle maker about 15 years ago. These were made for a pair of Ruger Vaqueros in 45LC. One side of the bandoleer is 12ga and the other is 45/70. I know its not 1911 but what do y'all think?

Attachments

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great work. Did you stitch it by hand.
Hand stitched the bullet loops. The rest was the first attempt on a new sewing machine. It was skipping stitches some. We finally got it dialed in.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. Anybody else have something cool or unusual?

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, nice work especially for a first!
Cool or unusual, how about a reproduction luger carbine case I just finished?
Very nice!!!

·
Vendor
613 Posts
Nice work to both of you!

Buster1960,

What machine are you using? I just got a used Toro 3000 from Steve at Leather Machine Co. a few weeks back. I still haven't practiced enough with it to use on a customer's project. Hopefully I can get some practice in this week, and be up and running on it. Can't wait until I'm actually sewing with it, and can stop turning my hands into ground meat!

Stitcher,

That's a really cool case!

Paul

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice work to both of you!

Buster1960,

What machine are you using? I just got a used Toro 3000 from Steve at Leather Machine Co. a few weeks back. I still haven't practiced enough with it to use on a customer's project. Hopefully I can get some practice in this week, and be up and running on it. Can't wait until I'm actually sewing with it, and can stop turning my hands into ground meat!

Stitcher,

That's a really cool case!

Paul

Remember this was over fifteen years ago. I believe the machine was an "Arrowstitch". It was air operated.

·
Vendor
613 Posts
"Remember this was over fifteen years ago. I believe the machine was an "Arrowstitch". It was air operated."

Oops. That's what I get for speed reading, and going straight for the pictures!

Paul

·
Registered
150 Posts
I love the traditional holster style, my grandfather who won't be around much longer as he is past his expiration date (on month 9 of the 7 months he was told he would live after cancer diagnosis) taught me everything I know about leatherwork. He is an old farmer/rancher who made his own 'tack'. I feel very fortunate to have been taught by him over the past three years and while I only have one traditional rig that he helped me make (belt and holsters) it is without a doubt my favorite. I have taken what he taught me and incorporated it into IWB holsters that I make at cost for friends and family to encourage them to carry. I expect I'll take pictures next couple I make after I get my shop setup again (just relocated to Texas). This rig is a motivator for me to share with others.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The man I started to learn from was an amazing guy. His real profession was fire investor. In his younger days for fun he was a wing walker on a biplane. He passed away about 10 years ago. I miss him.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Here's a rig I just finished....matches the belt I made for him a few months back....wanted the mag pouch to work as a knife case as well....

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thats nice looking stuff. The tooling is very unique. I like it!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts