1911Forum banner

41 - 60 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
5,139 Posts

Multi purpose
I don't know what SHTF really means, but I know that one of my favorite Battalion Commanders was a Platoon Leader in Vietnam who's Company was over run. He was a huge fan of "standoff" with every weapon, but especially when out of ammo. More than any other unit I was in, we trained fighting with fixed bayonets and E Tools. He made us sharpen one side of our E-Tools. Caused a shxxstorm at CIF.

In defensive positions unit SOP was E-Tool lay extended within easy access. I would rather be armed with an E-Tool, than a knife in an all out fight especially if out numbered. I would always rather carry more ammo than a fighting knife on my belt/kit.

I agree with others and am in the Hatchet / Tomahawk fan club. At times I carried a full steel shank hatchet on my Ruck, I kept it slid behind / under an external pouch... it was not meant to be accessed quickly. Stowed to keep the Ruck streamlined. I used it more as a hammer then a chopper. Most everyone I know carried extra ammo on kit or belt. No big Rambo knives...little knives for cutting - not for fighting.

I really like those Hawks pictured above. Very nice. Mine was very "Old School"... East Wing blue handle.

·
Premium Member
3,508 Posts
An Estwing blue handle is a great tool. I was chopping tree limbs with one this morning. It is about indestructible.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
+1 What KURUSU said (Olá, mais uma vez, meu amigo!)

Many years ago I had a Beckman BK-7 recommended to me. I've used it extensively for many chores over the years and I'm very pleased with its utility, durability, and adaptability. It's probably not OPTIMAL for a knife fight, but it's the first one I'd reach for, if it came down to that.

I bought a bayonet for my M1A, with which I am less familiar as a GP knife, but I'm betting it'd do everything I could reasonably require of it, in any scenario. I also bought a bayonet for my Vz24 Mauser, which is a little bit long for a general purpose knife, but would certainly work in or out of a fight. If your defensive rifle has a bayonet lug, your best first move would likely be to obtain a bayonet that fits it. It is doubtful one will ever NEED to use one on the end of a rifle, but they tend to make pretty satisfactory companion knives for other purposes.

·
Registered
775 Posts
if you are looking for an all purpose do everything knife a good quality K-Bar will serve you well.

You would also be served well by having a good small fixed blade like a Benchmade BushCraft or a Boker Savanna, and then having a small hatchet in your pack.

Having a few different options is a good thing, and you can select from your inventory based on the situation.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Many of us own multiple quality knives. Fixed, folding or switch blade. There are big ones, small ones, Bowie’s, ivory handled, Randall’s, dive knives, survival knives but no one mentioned another I always keep in the truck...a sacrificial medium fixed hunting knife. It’s sharp, cheap and I’m willing to damage or destroy it as a tool if needed or leave it behind if necessary. You can pick these things up for under $20 all day long. Sure this is only if I had the opportunity to make the choice. Think tool, not weapon.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I have my old RAT Cutlery Co/ESEE, Rat-5 made by Rowen. My EOTWAWKI blade

·
Banned
399 Posts
A lot to be said for the striking power of an axe, but you do sacrifice agility. It's just physics. Weight in motion and all that. Balance is important too, but you already pointed that out. And no question that an axe is a better chopping tool. But for close in fighting where I have to use a blade, then I want a quick, balanced and RAZOR sharp knife. The SOG that I have dedicated for the purpose is lightning quick, has excellent steel in it so I can achieve and maintain a wicked edge on it, and it has excellent slashing and stabbing characteristics. Also, the handle is of a material that won't get slick if it is wet or bloody...another important consideration. And some of it boils down to your preferred fighting style as well. My training relies on quick slashes followed by rapid thrusts to the neck and head area if possible. Most people use the knife in their strong hand, but that places your vitals closer to the attacker. My training has me with the knife in my weak hand, edge away from the body (although I also sharpen the swage on the trailing point). The reason for this is, I can defend both my upper and lower zones with rapid slashes and the attacker has to get past the knife to get within striking distance of my torso. My balance is on my strong foot (rear) like in a boxing stance. To get close enough to me to hit my torso, the attacker is exposed in the head/neck region, and to pass through my defensive zone, his arms are exposed to my blade where I can get at the muscles and tendons that control his grip. My strong hand is held in reserve for punching or grasping. Easier demonstrated than described, but highly effective when practiced.
https://youtu.be/7YyBtMxZgQs

·
Registered
413 Posts
I absolutely LOVE that scene. No question that a gun beats a knife or any other blade every time! But you still need to train for the eventuality that you will not have a gun, but may have a knife. I travel extensively on business and often cannot carry a gun, but can have a knife, so I train for that and other scenarios when a blade may be my best option available. I also train on how to use a bar of soap inside of panty hose!:eek:

An interesting point on that particular scene in the movie...Harrison Ford was originally scripted to have an elaborate sword fight with his opponent, but was seriously ill with dysentery and was not able to do that type of scene. The scene you see was actually adlibbed almost as a joke, but once filmed everyone loved it and it was kept. The look on Ford's face is not so much acting as it is him trying not to crap his pants! And NOW you know the REST of the story!:rock:

·
Banned
399 Posts
Meh ... If you have a knife but no gun, any knife will do. You're not fighting with the knife anyway. You're using it to make a spear.

Spear vs. knife - spear wins.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Meh ... If you have a knife but no gun, any knife will do. You're not fighting with the knife anyway. You're using it to make a spear.

Spear vs. knife - spear wins.
Depends on how good you are with the spear and how you use it. If I get inside your defensive area on the spear, you will lose. Study your history and the development of weaponry if you question that. But we digress. The question was about whether or not to have a dedicated fighting knife, and we obviously don't have the same opinion on that, which is fine.

·
Banned
1,260 Posts
Knife fighting is a loosing proposition for all involved... even if you "win", its almost a forgone conclusion that you WILL get cut up yourself; its less a question of if and more 'how bad'...

As for having a knife dedicated to this task, nope...extra weight for a specialized tool that will rarely if ever be used isn't a brilliant idea.

If one wants a tool thats far more versatile, AND a far superior, almost intuitive weapon, I'd suggest looking into some of modern incarnations of the tomahawk. Chop, split, slice, dig... and a weapon, almost as intuitive as swinging a hammer.
SHTF always involves more than just one scenario. You need both TOOLS and WEAPONS. I knife is simply a better all around tool than an axe or hatchet style implement for the vast number of survival situations due to it's smaller size and weight as well as narrow profile. However, for the things that an axe or hatchet works for, there are none better. When I was out bear hunting, I was armed with simply a bow and a knife - firearms were not allowed in the state in which I was hunting. Being approached by a 700 lb record class black bear with cubs at less than 2 yards was unnerving to say the least. But I can tell you that I appreciated every inch in length that my knife supplied as a backup and would not have preferred to be armed with a hatchet in the same circumstance.

That being said, I am a believer in both tools, and have not only an assortment of knives of different lengths and configurations but also some very nice Gransfors hatchets and small forest axes. To me, this isn't a case of knife vs hatchet but rather which models of both to have.

·
Banned
13,565 Posts
Randall #1.......or their model 16 SP 01.

·
Premium Member
14,685 Posts
Being approached by a 700 lb record class black bear with cubs

is that a typo?
where the heck do Black bear sows grow 700 pounds ??:eek:

nevertheless, 6ft from a sow w/cubs would certainly be unnerving to me even if only 200 pounds....:D

..L.T.A.

·
Banned
13,565 Posts
is that a typo?
where the heck do Black bear sows grow 700 pounds ??:eek:

nevertheless, 6ft from a sow w/cubs would certainly be unnerving to me even if only 200 pounds....:D

..L.T.A.
I know a few 200lb women that I keep my distance from..........

41 - 60 of 130 Posts