1911Forum banner

61 - 80 of 130 Posts

·
Banned
1,260 Posts
is that a typo?
where the heck do Black bear sows grow 700 pounds ??:eek:

nevertheless, 6ft from a sow w/cubs would certainly be unnerving to me even if only 200 pounds....:D

..L.T.A.
Lots of places....just not very often. The one I saw while hunting was just outside the borders of Yosemite State Park in California. The San Bernardino Mountains also have some very large black bears.

The bear I saw looked more like an Alaskan brown bear than a black bear, as it was brown rather than black and was so fat that the fat just rolled on her neck and front shoulders as she moved. She had 2 cubs with her, 1 black and 1 brown and each of the cubs weighed over 200 lbs. I am enclosing a picture of a record brown furred black bear taken 2 years ago in New Mexico. This looked to closest to the bear in my hunt than any other photo I have seen. Have never felt more vulnerable any time in my life - my 70 lb compound bow felt like straw in my hand.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
Are we talking about fighting bears with knives? ... or, Are we talking about 200# Sows? Either way it sounds dangerous. Best be careful.

·
Banned
1,260 Posts
Having to take on a bear with a knife is definitely a SHTF scenario and faced with a bear the size of the one in the preceding photo - this is the knife I was carrying. Better than a 3 inch folder, but any body parts hitting the fan would likely be mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Depends on how good you are with the spear and how you use it. If I get inside your defensive area on the spear, you will lose. Study your history and the development of weaponry if you question that. But we digress. The question was about whether or not to have a dedicated fighting knife, and we obviously don't have the same opinion on that, which is fine.
But generally speaking, he was correct. You tell him to study history and the development of weaponry, but in this case, he was in the right. A knight's primary weapon was not a sword or a knife, it was a spear/ polearm/ halberd/ polehammer. The sword was literally their "sidearm"...or equivalent of a 1911, and the spear, their M4 carbine. Given the choice, a medieval fighter would take a spear over a sword or knife in a fight.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I had a friend who was a SEAL in Vietnam, he was Corpman for his unit. He carried a Western W49 and a 22oz True-Temper hand-ax.

Not having to lug a combat load, I like a traditional hammer polled 'hawk and a fixed blade. And a .45 Commander! Single fixed blade options would be a Becker BK-4 Machax, a Livesay RTAK, custom 8" DeLeon bowie, Becker BK-5. I'm not a collector, so one of my favorite users is the SOG S-1 bowie. The SOG is really a decent using knife, a little thick, but plenty tough. Made in Japan by Hattori. I'd put it up against a 6" Randall Model 1.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I've seen pictures of "winners" from real knife fights. In SHTF you'd die from infection or bleed out even if you "won" that fight unless you're as good as the people in movies.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Having to take on a bear with a knife is definitely a SHTF scenario and faced with a bear the size of the one in the preceding photo - this is the knife I was carrying. Better than a 3 inch folder, but any body parts hitting the fan would likely be mine.
That's not my style of knife, but I have to admit it's gorgeous! :rock:

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I don't believe ANY knife is single purpose. But as an all around survival, camp, fighting knife, I love my Extremaratio Harpoon.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Not a big knife guy but I own a Union Cutlery Ka-Bar Combat Knife and my late fathers WWII Camillus Cutlery Ka-Bar. They seem adequate for a SHTF scenario.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Back when Man vs. Wild and Survivorman were both running, besides spending more time in REI and Bass Pro I felt the urge to get a fixed blade knife.

I first got a CRKT M60 for my theoretical survival knife but later a Mora knife. Even though the latter cost less and isn't as robust, if I had to choose between the two for a duel, I'd make the survival knife my combat knife for being lighter and better complementing my compact hands.

·
Registered
23 Posts
61 - 80 of 130 Posts