1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've been trying to fix a problem with two of my 1911's for some time now. My Les Baer Conept VII (Commander size) and my Kimber Classic both will occasionally lock open with rounds remaining in the magazine.

I carefully filed the internal surface of the slide stop on the Les Baer, and it ran great for about 400 rounds, but the other day, I shot a box through it and it had one of these malfunctions again.

I replaced the slide stop on my Kimber with a standard Wilson unit (not the "Bulletproof")but it locked back again the last time I shot it.

I examined the Kimber after it's last malfuncton, and noticed that the slide was indeed locked back by the slide stop. In addition, the top round in the magazine was forward in the magazine about 1/2", and I feel that it likely hit the slide stop.

As far as the Baer is concerned, the only really abnormal thing I can see is that the Plunger that applies pressure to the rear of the slide stop is VERY strong, so much so that I have to use a tool to depress it in order to reinstall the slide stop into the frame. Could this be a cause of the trouble in the Baer?

I am at a loss as to how to fix this. I have three other 1911's that don't (and never have) exhibited this problem, including the Springfield Std. Loaded that I shoot predominantly, a Colt 1991 Stainless, and a Para-Ordnance P-13. Therefore, I don't think that it is due to my shooting style. In addition, I am using Wilson Combat #47D 8 round magazines, which work well with the three other 1911's mentioned earlier.

Could this problem be due to a weak magazine spring? Should I order some Wolff exra power mag springs?

In addition, the Kimber has the Standard 16lb. factory recoil spring, and the Les Baer has a 22lb. Wolff Conventional spring. I have a 24lb conventional that I am thinking of trying in the Baer (Baer uses a 24lb Variable in their Commanche size guns now, but the one that came with mine was no more than 18lb.), but don't know if it would have any affect.

I really don't want to send the guns off if it is as small a matter as mag or recoil springs, but I want to fix this problem. I have almost $2000.00 invested in these two guns and I trust neither.

Thanks for all the help.

SFB

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I think you're on the right track by questioning the mag spring integrity. The short, strong stroke of the Commander size pistols show probs quicker than the 5" or full-size 1911s in general...Keep a log and only try one thing at a time 'til you find the prob. Some folks change their mag springs regularly, especially their carry mags...You might try just gently stretching the spring first and see if it'll hold for a mags' worth of rounds before it starts failing again...may be a cheap route to the diagnosis...Hang in...I'm sure you'll get plenty of info on the subject

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

!!!Molon Labe'!!!

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
SFB, I think your on the right track with the slide stop tab extending into the mag well. Take a look at the tab to see if there is some copper color on it indicating the bullet is brushing past the tab and sometimes moving the slide stop up and catching the slide.

Or another way to check it is to remove the slide/barrel assembly from the top of the gun, reinsert the slide stop and then insert a magazine with a few rounds in it to see if the nose of the bullet brushes the slide stop tab. You may have to slide the top round forward just a bit like you mentioned seeing.

Good luck and let us know what you find!

·
Registered
850 Posts
I believe it wise to install the Wolff springs in your mags regardless. recoil, main spring, recoil spring and firing pin spring as well.

Something you might analyze is your firing grip.

Where are your thumds on the gun when you shoot? Many times if both are parralell to the frame, the slide stop could be activated inadvertently. Especially by the left thumb if it is riding below your right.

One way to make sure this never happens is to keep your right thumb on the safety with the left on top of it during shooting. That way they never come near the slide stop.

Hope this helps. Let me know.

------------------
ACK

"Make the First Shot Count"!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi again all,

Well, I think that some Wolff magazine springs are in order, but I took the Baer out again, and had two nosedives, one slide-lock mid magazine, and a reverse case stovepipe. I think that I'm gonna have to send this thing back to Les Baer for some fixing.

As for the Kimber, I'm gonna try the Wolff magazine springs, and dimple the slide stop just a bit, and see what happens.

Regarding my grip--I thought that this was the cause when I initially encountered this problem, so I changed my grip from the modern IPSC style "Thumbs forward" to the left thumb on right thumb, all on top of the safety, like the old Gunsite method.

The malfunction still occured in the Kimber and Baer, but the Springfield, Colt, and Para Ordinance all functioned perfectly, so I switched back to the IPSC grip because it feels more natural to me. The three "good" guns still run 100% with my current grip. I am therefore convinced that this is the result of something with the gun. In addition, my other 1911's all use the same magazines and they fuction, so I am less convinced that it is the magazines fault, but the Kimber does have the factory 16lb recoil spring, while the others have 18lb or 20lb (in the Para P-13) spring, so the increased slide velcity might contribute to the occurence of the problem with weak mag springs.

When I get the new springs, I'll see what happens and let you all know.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
For me, all early slide locks were directly related to bullet nose configuration. Worse trouble came with flat nose and truncated cone shapes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts