1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stumbled on one recently and while I have little interest in getting any more 1911's this one stopped me dead in my tracks!

Believe me, I have and have had Gold cups that feel like they were made in a garage compared to the clockwork like feel of the super target.

So, I'm tempted... anyone have one?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I've got one and I'm very happy with it.

It's accurate and runs smooth as glass and I haven't ever experienced a malfunction of any sort with it straight out of the box.

6065 rounds through it and the last time I shot it was yesterday afternoon.

The fit and finish and the smoothness with which the slide runs rivals that of my SIG German Mastershop X 5s costing fully several times its price.

The nitron finish has held up extraordinarily well and over all, this pistol is of high quality with a nice trigger.

It's far from one of my most expensive pistols but it's definitely one of my favorites.

Buy it and you won't be sorry.

I didn't care for the original from sight and replaced it with a Brazos Lightning Rod Novak/Kimber cut .175 high. .330x65degreesx.075.

Pictures show original front sight.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I have one in Stainless and it is my favorite 1911 to shoot. I have told the story before but I used to shoot Bullseye and a friend just wiped out the "X Ring" so much you could not count his hits. Just one large hole with his custom Les Baer. Me, not so much. We switched guns one day and the Sig performed just as well and he was very impressed. I shot the same with the Les Baer.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
How is the wood magwell holding up to reloads?
I’ve only been using the pistol for shooting paper at the range so the oversized target “Nils style” grips haven’t been taking any sort of a beating from tactical type reloads.

·
Registered
205 Posts
As an ex-Kimber Team Match owner, I loved the look of the Sig in stainless and bought it about 2 months ago. Switched out the front fiber optic for a spare Dawson red one, and ordered a custom fit barrel bushing from EGW. I do feel like the trigger is a tiny bit heavier than my Kimber was, but I'm sure it will get better over time. I believe I have about 800 rounds through it so far, with literally no malfunctions whatsoever. This alone is reason to make me happy, but the gun is very accurate and a lot of fun to shoot. I'm shooting light reloads with 185 grain hollow points and couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Accurate, flawless and good looking. I love my Super Target. It is my main competition pistol. The only negative I can say is mine tends to launch the fiber optic light rod from the front sight every now and then. It is still my favorite centerfire pistol.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Accurate, flawless and good looking. I love my Super Target. It is my main competition pistol. The only negative I can say is mine tends to launch the fiber optic light rod from the front sight every now and then. It is still my favorite centerfire pistol.
I replaced the small, thin, OEM sight with a Brazos Lightning Rod which I like a lot, but the optical fiber inserts don’t last too long.

Happily, it only takes a minute or so to replace them.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I replaced the small, thin, OEM sight with a Brazos Lightning Rod which I like a lot, but the optical fiber inserts don’t last too long.

Happily, it only takes a minute or so to replace them.

I prefer the smaller in diameter front sight and would like to keep it but I have had a couple of other problems. The first rear sight broke when the windage screw came flying out during a match. SIG sent a replacement (free of charge) and I had a gunsmith put it on. The new sight didn't last a month and the same thing happened during a match. Considering this is nearly a $100 part, I am really disappointed in the lack of quality.

My Super Target is currently back at the gunsmith with instructions to replace it with a Dawson fixed sight. I am hoping to keep the OEM front sight but will have it replaced with a Dawson if that isn't feasible. Looks like I will be shooting this week's match with a different gun. :(

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I prefer the smaller in diameter front sight and would like to keep it but I have had a couple of other problems. The first rear sight broke when the windage screw came flying out during a match. SIG sent a replacement (free of charge) and I had a gunsmith put it on. The new sight didn't last a month and the same thing happened during a match. Considering this is nearly a $100 part, I am really disappointed in the lack of quality.

My Super Target is currently back at the gunsmith with instructions to replace it with a Dawson fixed sight. I am hoping to keep the OEM front sight but will have it replaced with a Dawson if that isn't feasible. Looks like I will be shooting this week's match with a different gun. :(
Sorry to hear that, mine’s been trouble free for over 6000 rounds without any stoppages, malfunctions, or breakages, straight out of the box.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Someday, I'm going to regret not getting one of those.
I am regretting not getting one back when too, Looks like I missed the boat on this, unless someone feels sorry for me & wants to part with one. (PLEASE !)

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'd be curious to hear your feedback on the durability of the black finish on this. I bought the stainless version about 6 months ago and have been shooting it a lot. I'd estimate I've got around 1500 - 1800 rounds through it so far. I haven't done anything to specifically test the finish on mine, but it does seem to show a lot of small scratches and wear marks for a pistol I've tried to take care of and have only had for ~ 6 months. I do love the gun though.

I've replaced the front sight with a thinner Dawson, replaced the barrel bushing with a tighter-fitting one from EGW, and I've spent some time working on the trigger. It was really gritty and had a nearly 6lb pull when I got it. I'm down to a 100% reliable, smooth pull in the high 2lb range with a Wilson Combat trigger. I will post pics later.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I'd be curious to hear your feedback on the durability of the black finish on this. I bought the stainless version about 6 months ago and have been shooting it a lot. I'd estimate I've got around 1500 - 1800 rounds through it so far. I haven't done anything to specifically test the finish on mine, but it does seem to show a lot of small scratches and wear marks for a pistol I've tried to take care of and have only had for ~ 6 months. I do love the gun though.

I've replaced the front sight with a thinner Dawson, replaced the barrel bushing with a tighter-fitting one from EGW, and I've spent some time working on the trigger. It was really gritty and had a nearly 6lb pull when I got it. I'm down to a 100% reliable, smooth pull in the high 2lb range with a Wilson Combat trigger. I will post pics later.
The finish on mine has held up beautifully and going on towards 7000 rounds, the pistol still looks virtually NIB externally, and still not a single malfunction or stoppage of any sort.

The finish is Nitron which is actually Ion Bond, and it’s a very tough and durable finish.

On the other hand, my 1911 Super Target Nitron has been used solely as a range gun which is cleaned after every range trip and not subject to any sort of rough usage, nor has it seen any time in a holster.

ETA: what looks like scratches and wear on the slide in the picture I posted are actually some fingerprints and grease.

I need to remember to wipe down my firearms before photographing them.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I am regretting not getting one back when too, Looks like I missed the boat on this, unless someone feels sorry for me & wants to part with one. (PLEASE !)
After considerable thought, I ended up ordering a custom Wilson X-Tac and decided to sell the Sig to help fund it. It's on Gunbroker right now if you want it. I switched everything back to stock with the exception of the front sight. This was a very reliable and fun gun to shoot - I just didn't shoot it as well as other 1911's I have or have had.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts