1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many have already seen the sigforum post regarding the new pistol.

Here's what I found most interesting. If you go to the thread at http://sigforum.com/6/ubb.x?q=Y&a=tpc&s=674608412&f=430601935&m=40360223&p=1 and read the second post (by a guy posting as DaveNH), which is the review of the gun, when you get to the end you'll read these informative words:

"A final test was a side-by-side (well, really one-after-another) test of my 220 against the GSR. Using a single magazine for each (both eight round stainless btw) I drew from the holster and fired all shots against the steel as quickly as I could. In the twilight the SIGlites on my 220 didn't quite kick in yet and offered no advantage, I missed 4 or 5 out of the eight . However, to even my surprise, using the GSR I only missed one. It was here that the additional weight and the lower radius within the slide, lowering the height of the barrel over the receiver, shined. I was back on target much quicker than I thought possible, and the only real difference was the pistol itself."

Another SIG guy discovers what we've known all along.....:biglaugh:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Jim,

I saw that too, and considered pointing it out also. You beat me too it. The inherent design superiority of the 1911 is demonstrated yet again.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Better beleive it. Hopefully more will see the light! :)

·
Registered
367 Posts
It's funny, because about a year ago I pretty much decided I was through with 1911s. I have two and enjoy them, but they are not reliable enough to carry, and I don't need anymore range guns -- not looking for an argument, that's just my experience. I've half-joked that about the only way I'd buy another 1911, if SIG made one. Guess I'll be buying one more.

I will be interested to see if this SIG shares some critical characteristics with my other SIGs: ZERO break-in period (i.e. feeds 100% reliably from the very first shot fired), and feeds ANYthing (ball, JHP, light loads to +P, etc.).

If this gives me the accuracy and natural feel of a 1911 and the function of a SIG, could be the only gun I'll need.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Outside basic reliability, I think handling qualities - point, balance etc - are the most important factors in my choice of pistols. There are very few , if any, that match Browning's achievements in his respective 1911 and 1935 designs.

I'd like to see a 1911 turned out by FN Herstal.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
In case anyone hasn't seen it, this is the announcement on The SigArms site which was just unveiled. http://www.sigarms.com/products/newproducts.asp I'd expected for all the hoopla about this that there would at least be a large picture of it. Stay safe, Gary

·
Registered
367 Posts
Gary W Trott said:
In case anyone hasn't seen it, this is the announcement on The SigArms site which was just unveiled. http://www.sigarms.com/products/newproducts.asp I'd expected for all the hoopla about this that there would at least be a large picture of it. Stay safe, Gary
Looks like their marketing guys haven't figured out how they want to present this gun yet! You look at any other gun on their site, and there's (at least) an intro paragraph describing what makes the gun special. If you look at the SigPro (polymer), they put together a whole page of copy explaining how and why they chose to make that (new for SIG) gun. It'll be interesting to see how they explain their decision to produce this gun, and why its better than all the other 1911s.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I don't like the Picatinny rail or the trigger. But I think I still get one, install a solid short trigger and just live with the rail. Ditto on wishing for a FNH 1911.

Nero

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
FN Herstal

I have seen a 1911 produced by FNH. It looked remarkably similar to the Sig to me. It had a light rail on the frame looked like a Caspian and an external extractor. It was also finished in a dull black or OD green finish. I saw 2 examples both had triggers that needed work and the beavertails on both guns needed a little attention. The FNH rep told me the retail on the guns would be $2795.00. I could not believe it and went back later to verify what he had said. You could buy a CQB with a rail for about $1000.00 less with better features or buy the parts from Caspian and have your smith build it to your spec's at a considerable savings. In all I was not impressed.

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Here's the best picture that I can find. Not too bad, kinda looks like a racy TLE/RL Kimber to me. ( no flames guys, It's intended as a good comparison.:) )

Sorry guys, had to remove my picture.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Robert1911,

If Sig can put this out for around $800-900 with the reliability that Sig is famous for, then they will really have something. If it is going to cost $1200 and up, then, they won't be doing anything special at all. If you're willing to spend enough money to get a gun that is hand-fitted, it IS reliable enough for carry. It's the mass-produced guns that aren't.

I know--I have a Valtro ($1250, hand-fitted, 100% reliable). If Sig's 1911 costs one dime over $1250, why not just buy a Valtro? If it costs $2000, why not buy a Wilson, Brown, or a Baer? All as reliable as any Sig.

If this Sig 1911 turns out to be ultra-reliable, it will be because they take the time to carefully fit everything--which costs money.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Had heard from a couple of sources that Matt McLearn is involved in the specs and building of the guns...

Matt used to build some pretty nice guns out of his shop in Oklahoma...they ran and ran and ran...

·
Registered
618 Posts
JiminCA,
I saw that too and laughed and laughed!:biglaugh:
What is the deal with Sig and a picture of their pistol?
I would think they would want as many people as possible to see it. If those guys were smart, they would come over to the 1911 forums and pimp it over here instead of just shopping it around to current Sig owners. In my way of thinking, you sell to your existing customer base (Sig owners) and the new market segment you designed the product for (1911 owners).
Look at what a lot of other 1911 manufacturers have done. Colt, Smith and Wesson, Dan Wesson, Springfield Armory all have company reps that surf this site. Sig would be well served by showing up over here once and awhile.
If the pics are exclusive to the Sig forums, someone should tell them that the pics are up on the Sigarms.com which kind of makes it fair game for anyone now.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Is this a Series 80-style 1911? SIG's website mentions a "firing pin safety."

·
Registered
150 Posts
So, any idea when they will be out for fondling?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
{knock-knock}

Who's there?

Emersom.

Emersom who?

Emersom fugly pistols!

:biglaugh:

·
Registered
378 Posts
Robert1911 said:

I will be interested to see if this SIG shares some critical characteristics with my other SIGs: ZERO break-in period (i.e. feeds 100% reliably from the very first shot fired), and feeds ANYthing (ball, JHP, light loads to +P, etc.).

If this gives me the accuracy and natural feel of a 1911 and the function of a SIG, could be the only gun I'll need.
I hope the Sig 1911 runs like that. Because if it doesn't it'll be worse than any 1911 I've ever had the pleasure of shooting! ;)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts