1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have one and would it be possible to see a photo? Thanks in advance. Was the difference of the short trigger very noticable?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Have you ckecked on the Sig Forum, there are quiet a few post on the subject and some listed for sale. Might have better luck over there.

Click here , and go to the FAQ section and you can find a picture of the two there.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
mattblack,

Just picked mine up this past weekend and it sure is nice. I've been trying to get one for a verrry long time but never had the money to do so. When I saw it on sale I just decided to do it and get it over with. Last night I gave it a thorugh cleaning so I'm ready for the range. I just plan to shoot "hard ball" to get thing working. I also have some "Wolf" ammo. Question, anyone had any problems shooting this ammo in their Sig 45's?

rimfire,22

·
Registered
152 Posts
Wolf Ammo in Sig 220

Yes I had problems with laquer coated Wolf 45ACP ammo in my Sig! And my 1911's also!

The only time my P220 jammed up is when I shot Wolf in it. Went through several boxes at a shoot and while a newbie was shooting my gun it locked up tight. The slide froze not quite in battery. The rangemaster was able to break the slide loose (Ex Jarhead with a very strong grip). The offending round was found to have a buildup of laquer around the case mouth!

My post mortem on the jam was that the chamber had become hot enough to melt the laquer and eventually it built up on the round that eventually jammed the slide. I checked the round with a caliper and it definitely had excessive buildup around the case mouth.

This was the only time the P220 malfunctioned since I have had it! Every other brand of ammo worked fine, including that American ammo with the thick cases.

I shot up the Wolf in my 625.

Had a bear of a time cleaning the guns after shooting, the wolf is extreemly dirty. Also it had hard primers and I had to tighten up the strain screw on my 625 to fire the ammo. About every third round wouuld not fire even though there was a dent in the primer!

I use wolf in My Mak and Hi Power without problems, but the batch of 45 I had was a problem.

YMMV

·
Banned
1,049 Posts
rimfire said:
mattblack,

Just picked mine up this past weekend and it sure is nice. I've been trying to get one for a verrry long time but never had the money to do so. When I saw it on sale I just decided to do it and get it over with. Last night I gave it a thorugh cleaning so I'm ready for the range. I just plan to shoot "hard ball" to get thing working. I also have some "Wolf" ammo. Question, anyone had any problems shooting this ammo in their Sig 45's?

rimfire,22
The only malfunctions I ever had with my 220 were with Wolf ammo. FTF's about every third round.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Yeah, skip the Wolf. The only squib i've ever seen was a Wolf factory round in .40 S&W. Round was fired by someone in my agency with a nearly new HK USP Compact. They got a pop (instead of a bang) and the gun locked up solid. Once I was able to force the gun open it looked like the round had fired. Only further inspection of the bore showed a Wolf bullet firmly lodged in the rifling. The bullet had just come out enough to jam the case against the chamber and tie up the gun. It can happen with any ammo, but with all the ammo i've shot and seen fired in 20 years, Wolf is the first time i've ever actually managed to see it happen. Don't risk your new SIG on this ammo.

later,
AJ

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does the 220 have a shorter trigger reach than the 226? I am hoping it does since it's single stack. Then, I will had the short trigger and I am hoping it fits my hand better. I had a 226 w/ a short trigger and it was just slightly too large to be totally confident with it...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have swapped out the triggers on all my Sigs for the short trigger because I have small hand/grip. I can't post pics right now, sorry. I can't remember if the geometry is any different but I recall that if you imagine the normal trigger, except shaved on the front side - you will know what it looks like. The rear of the trigger is basically the same and in the same position, but the trigger is much slimmer so the finger rests further back. It made a big difference to me. It's not available on all models. It's an easy swap and Sig sells the triggers separately.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AK, thanks, question: will a 220 w/ short trigger have a shorter trigger reach than a 226 w/ short trigger? I hope so since the 226 has a wider grip...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would like to think so, but I don't have my pistols here to compare unfortunately. I hope trigger reach isn't the deciding factor to you as to which caliber you are going with. I would take pcf's advice and ask on the Sig forum, they are sure to know. I found a picture of the triggers in comparison on the Sig website here Scroll down to the short trigger accessory and there is a picture. If you can't get the info you need from the Sig forum, just ask Sig Sauer themselves, they were friendly to me on the phone when I call.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, I will contact them. No, reach isnt the only factor but its a big one, my hands are not the largest. I have several .45's and 9mm's it's just that I want a Sig and I know the 226/229/228 are just a hair too big even with the short trigger. So to get a SIG in my collection, I was thinking the big 220 would be great. Thanks for the info-

·
Registered
8 Posts
AK, when you get a chance, could you measure the distance from the backstrap to the trigger face? I'm a numbers type of guy, and I'm looking for a SIG in .45 (since no 10mm) that I can use.
The 220 with the standard trigger is too much of a reach.

Otherwise, it fits just fine! :)

Thanks.
Mike

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Wolf ammo issue

Thanks Guys,

The Wolf ammo issue has been answered with great thanks and will perhaps try one box in a slow fire way. I'mm most likely shoot a couple of boxes using standard brass. Again many thanks

rimfire,22

·
Registered
20 Posts
Will measure when I get the chance, sure. Am working in remote Alaska right now, so it will be a while. If grip size is a problem, and you want a Sig, perhaps think about the 225 (single stack 9mm) or P239 (another single stack in .40, .357, & 9). I really, really with they would make one in 10mm as I prefer 10mm. A 10mm P220? Just a dream for me and since I want it bad, they will never make it. Glad I have a 10mm 1911!

·
Registered
8 Posts
AK Mike said:
Will measure when I get the chance, sure. Am working in remote Alaska right now, so it will be a while. If grip size is a problem, and you want a Sig, perhaps think about the 225 (single stack 9mm) or P239 (another single stack in .40, .357, & 9). I really, really with they would make one in 10mm as I prefer 10mm. A 10mm P220? Just a dream for me and since I want it bad, they will never make it. Glad I have a 10mm 1911!
Thanks. I appreciate it.

No thanks to the "lesser" calibers, though. I just prefer .45/10mm.

And I like my 10's, too...except for the Glock!

Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts