1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know why SIG says the 228 is not for sale to the public, only military and police? Yet there are plenty out there for sale?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think it's because they were made with features to suit the LE/Mil world. But sooner or later become poice trade ins. Just like the G models from Beretta, they are made for the LE market but can be had.

This is just my theory........

:confused:

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Let me first state that Sig makes first rate handguns, some of the best in the business. I have carried P226's and P220's on my job for years and they have never let me down.

BUT, the polymer phenomenon changed everything. As Sigs prices continued to soar, Glock was selling guns for up to $150-$200 per gun cheaper than Sig was doing. As LE found that Glocks were reliable and accurate, and the cost was a significant factor to administrators and city councils, everyone jumped on Glocks. Sig's polymer framed gun, IMO, like so many others, was just too late out of the gate to make an impact.

As LE sales plummeted?, and the hi cap ban came into effect, I think Sig made a wise marketing decision to provide these guns only to LE/Military, some of whom were already carrying Sig handguns.

This doesn't mean that Sig isn't selling their guns by the bucketfull to the rest of the world. We are by far Glocks largest commercial market, so thinking that the rest of the world is as Glock crazy as we are might be a mistake. I think Sig made a wise marketing decision and I hope their new 1911 is a success. I know they'll probably sell one here!

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
I don't think there're restricted to LE, but they may have a priority. My local shop always has several 228's in stock, and usually a 225 . They're availabe all over from about $500 to $600+.

This has been hashed over on the SIGforum forever...see them.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
The P228 isn't restricted to law enforcement in any way, shape or form. It is simply a very low production priority, since the design is basically supplanted by the P229.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From the SIGARMS website:

Classic Compact Size P228

The SIG Sauer P228 in 9mm is a mechanically-locked, recoil-operated, semi-automatic pistol with the 4-Point Safety System (patented automatic firing-pin lock, decocking lever, safety intercept notch, and disconnector). The P228 was introduced in 1989 by SIGARMS and quickly became a favorite for law enforcement and military professionals because of its compact size, pointability, and ergonomically designed grip.

Today, the P228 is sold to law enforcement and military personnel only and continues to serve the Department of Defense Agencies of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard, and Marines as the M11 pistol. Many other Federal, State, and Local agenices also depend on the SIG Sauer P228 for accuracy and performance year after year.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
kulbreez said:
Today, the P228 is sold to law enforcement and military personnel only and continues to serve the Department of Defense Agencies of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard, and Marines as the M11 pistol. Many other Federal, State, and Local agenices also depend on the SIG Sauer P228 for accuracy and performance year after year.
That's a new one to me. Huh. Funny, since the P229 is practically identical, aside from the heavier slide. I just walked into a store and bought a P228 a few years ago.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
My brother got one about a month ago. You can get one, you just have to have the right person willing to make the calls to get it.;)

·
Registered
238 Posts
It is sort of a non-issue. For all practical purposes the 229 is a product-improved variant of the 228. I would guess that SIG can streamline SKU and support by trimming the 228 to those who absolutely demand it: ie the military, where introducing the 229 into channels would be cumbersome due to the bureaucracy.

The last agency I heard of which adopted the 228 not too long ago allegedly did so so that their administration could claim a "kindler, gentler" 9mm was selected over the .40 229, even though it too is available in nine.

There are plenty of 228s out there. I hope people are'nt failing prey to the appearance of forbidden fruit. I cannot think of any reason to pick a 228 over a 229, but can a 229 over 228. The 228 is a great gun, but the 229 more than compensates.

·
Premium Member
20,399 Posts
Folks jump on "Tactical" models hyped to police and the miltary.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
the 229 is a product improvement.??? It's a matter of taste. The 228 uses the classic SIG sheet metal folded and welded slide. The 229 uses a machined slide. Many prefer one or the other...not much middle ground.

I'm sure the machined slide is easier to produce. But mostly, since the 229 is avail in .357 Sig and .40, it is designed for the extra stresses put on the slide by these calibers. Personally, I prefer the 228. You say tomatos and I say tomahtos.

·
Registered
491 Posts
The P228 is available to everyone

It is absolutely NOT a LEO gun. I was able to ask for and receive at my local gun shop for $699 with Trijicon's installed.

I have found it, after about 450 rounds, to be a fantastic gun, so far. Glocks seem to be all the rage in this neighborhood, and I like to be different. Being different with a SIG is not a bad thing to be.

As far as the P229 goes - don't pay the extra$$$ unless you want the 357 or 40. The P229 is heavier (to handle the bigger loads) and costs a little more. If you're into nines I think the 228 is the way to go.

I swapped out the stock grips for hard rubber Hogue grips and allen screws, and the gun simply rocks.

·
Banned
597 Posts
I agree, sig only continues to make it at all 'cause our feds and maybe others still buy it.
I also agree that in 9mm it's a better gun than the 229. The point of a gun that size is concealement. Why would you pick the heavier bulkier gun?
I have a 228 and I love it. It's just too big/heavy compared to my Glock and I never carry the 228 because of it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Limited Edition Sig 228

Has anyone seen the limited edition Sig 228?

Supposedly 5,000 were made and were sent overseas. They were finished with desert camouflage paint at the factory. Some are in civilian circulation.

There is one for sale at a local shop for $600, is this a real item or a marketing ploy? Is it any different than a regular Sig 228

Av.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The 228 is intended for LEO but there are several floating around for sale to anyone. The 229 is slightly bigger and heavier than the 228 but it fires more robust bullets so that makes sense. If size is an issue but you want more power than the 9 get the SIG239 in either .357 or .40. It is easier to conceal than the GLock or 228 or 229 and feels more natural in my hand due to the slender grip, but the Glock, 228 and 229 all have higher capacity.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
That camo P228 is what my brother got. I told him not to because it just didn't look right to me. The finish has a rubbery feel to it and starts to come off if you just look at it. He sent it back to the factory to have the camo job stripped. BTW you can see the regular blue finish underneath the places where the camo was coming off.

He's getting something different back but I don't want to say what because I don't want to jinx it for him. I know alot of people will be jealous when he gets the new one.;)

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I've no use for 9mm pistols in general having seen their effectiveness (or lack thereof) first-hand as a Trooper, but the Sig 228 is the current issued weapon for the NJSP. I know they test their weapons vigorously before adopting them, so it must be a pretty decent handgun. :cool:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts