1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've kind of been lusting after either a Sig or an HK. How are the triggers for a 1911 guy? Too heavy and long? I have a Glock and like that just fine, but there's not beating a good SA trigger. I love the looks of the large Sigs and some of the HKs, but I'm worried that they may not be very useful guns being that I'm so accustomed to a SA trigger.

·
Administrator
73,387 Posts
The SA triggers on either are okay to me at least, but then again I've got a few 1911's with untuned triggers. What you're going to hate is the DA trigger, especially on the HK's. They're absolutely horrible, which is a shame because the USP series have so much going for them otherwise.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I bought a HK USP because it has a manual of arms very similar to a 1911. I carry it C&L with the thumb safety applied. I shoot it single action only.

That said, the single action trigger is not as good as a 1911. Nothing much in this world competes with a good 1911 trigger. The 1911 trigger moves straight back. The HK pivots. The HK trigger takes a little work to get used to and quick doubles can be done ...... but not as fast as a 1911.

Out of the box accuracy for the HK is fantastic as is reliability.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I will concur with most of what has been said. The HK DA trigger is pretty bad, but their single action is really good. I like mine a lot. It is a lot different trigger and it does take a little getting used to. If you do get one do yourself a favor and get a match trigger set installed. It will make a world of difference. It is very accurate and I like to shoot mine a lot. I thought about going with a Sig, but I compared the two side to side at the range and the HK won hands down.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Shoot the snot out of your H&K and the DA will smooth up quite a bit. You can also get a slightly lighter main spring and it will make a world of difference.

Most of us play with our 1911 triggers / springs to get the perfect feel, then we bash other pistols that haven't been tuned.

My usp compact has a pretty nice SA pull and a good DA pull after severl thousand rounds. I'm just about ready to drop the spring weight one pound and call it good.

--usp_fan

·
Registered
203 Posts
(Can only speak for the H&K and a Kimber.)

I really liked the trigger of my H&K USP Tactical .45, whether DA or SA. My wife’s H&K USP 9mm Compact’s trigger is fine also; not as good as the Tactical, but very acceptable.

However, twice, while using my Tactical for IDPA matches, I failed to allow the trigger enough forward travel to reset, and found myself pulling for a couple of seconds before I realized why it wouldn’t shoot. My fault.

Then I bought a Kimber SST-II, and I definitely like its trigger better than the Tactical. It is not so much the actual trigger pull, as the Tactical is fine in SA, but the big difference is reset travel. The Kimber resets in almost no distance compared to the Tactical. Just the nature of the beasts.

My wife shot my Kimber several weeks ago, and she just loved it. She said the added weight made it easier to hold on target, and she simple when nuts over the trigger. Her targets were proof.

For the H&K's: Neither the .45 Tactical nor the 9mm Compact have ever malfunctioned, no break-in was ever required, and they both digest any ammo I have tried. Also, both are 'very' accurate - my Tactical is as accurate as my Kimber, and the 9mm Compact, with 3-1/2 barrel is just great.

Alex

·
Registered
21,912 Posts
I had a USP-f .45. The DA was tough and the SA was not real special. Soft and creepy, though not rough or gritty.
I have a P226. DA is smooth but rather heavy, SA is 4 lbs and feels less because of the leverage of the pivoting trigger. A bit soft but not bad. Better than HK.

I await the Sig-Sauer X-Five OS/Tactical with cocked and locked capability on an aluminum frame which should make IDPA ESP weight requirements and without some of the X-Five Competition bells and whistles for a lower price. Reportedly about $1300, which is not bad compared to a high end factory or boutique 1911.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I've shot many SIGs in different calibers, and I can say that the SA pulls were practically always creep-less (crsip), and always around 4 to 5 lbs. The DA pull though... well it is a little shorter on the SIG than on the Beretta I think, but still very long, gritty, uneven and pretty heavy. I love almost everything about the SIGs, but the DA/SA configuration keeps me from buying one.

The HK is pretty much the same to me, but I've found more creep on the single action stages on them than the SIGs. Add a plastic trigger feel to the HK. Not sure how to express my feeling toward this, but plastic triggers feel "mushy" to me.

Alex.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I have been carrying and shooting 1911s for a lot of years, and hands down they are my favorite format for a handgun. I recently had a need for a truck gun but I didn't want to leave a 1911 in my truck for fear of getting it stolen. I can replace a lot of guns, but not a well tuned good shooting 1911. Also I didn't want to keep a gun c&l in the console all the time, but I wanted one ready to go as soon as I put my hand on it. At the advice of a body guard friend of mine I bought a P239 .40 cal with night sites and I put Hogue wraparound grips on it. As a 1911 shooter I can tell you the first shot takes some getting used to, but after a while it's like shooting a well tuned revolver for the first shot and a crisp 4 pound pull for every shot after that. I have no trouble putting the first shot in the bull at any reasonable defense distance or double tapping. I have read that some people are really bothered by the double single configration, but not me. If it bothers you, you can always get one of the new DAK triggers, which are very smooth double action onlys. Given a choice I will still pick a 1911 format, but there is a place for a double single set up as well if it's real smooth like a Sig. I'll take a Sig trigger over a Glock trigger any day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts