1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This here's a roll call for members of this forum who love 1911s but find themselves carrying a SIG Sauer pistol either 1) Everytime they carry or 2) Often or 3)Every now and then!

My primary carry gun is a SIG 239 9mm in the colder months of Florida with a S&W 642 .38+P in the pocket during the summer months. So...who here carries a SIG?
Just curious, not a 1911 bashing thread...I love my M1911, it's just too damn large here in humid Florida!
Street

· Registered
196 Posts
Sig carriers

Streetsweeper: I carry a Sig P239 as my primary CCW gun,but I also carry a Colt 1908 25 ACP, a CZ50 in the 32 ACP, and a Model B Star in the 9MM. My carry pistol choice depends what Im wearing and the temp. My Colt Giles 45 ACP is too large to carry and is set up for bullseye shooting.

· Registered
302 Posts
DMF said:
I carry a 228 every day, because that's all my boss let's me carry. ;) However, I'm quite happy with it, there are much worse choices, but not too many better.
Me too and I'm not unhappy with my 228. We aren't allowed to carry anything else, or I might try a 1911 off duty. I am actually thinking hard about buying one for myself, so that I won't be without a 228 when I leave my agency. Now, our anemic duty loads are another story...

· Registered
302 Posts
Yeah, and federal is discontinuing them bc they are so outdated. They are coming out with a newer tactical bonded version, but we haven't heard what we are going to. I wish it were Ranger +p+, but it would mean resighting thousands of guns and requalling thousands of agents...since we are required to qual with our issue weapon and duty ammo before we can carry it and every 4 months thereafter.

· Registered
8,947 Posts
How accurately are your guns dialed in on POA/POI with that load? I had the frontsight on the 1 9mm I carry changed to get as close to POA as I could get at 25 ft with 147 gr loads around 960-1000 fps. It hits where my frontsight just barely cover POI now at the closer ranges and just barely dots the i so to speak at 25 yards. Before I got the sight changed for my preferred load I think it was factory sighted for a 124 gr load of some kind and it would shoot substantially high at 25 yards too the point where I felt it wasnt safe.

I imagine switching from a normal 124 gr load to a +P+ load would make it shoot several inches low at 25 yards.

· Registered
302 Posts
I don't know about everyone elses 228, but my personal gun had issues initially. The front sight was not centered and the range guys just kept adjusting the rear to compensate. It was getting rediculous. Long story short, I bought my own sight tool and went to the range. It shoots POA/POI at 25 yards. I think it may be shooting a bit low, but I can't tell if it is. I sighted it from a rest and it will put them all in the 5 inch circle on our targets. I've never tried to see how small I can get the groups. I wonder about some of our guns though, bc we never zero them. When they are issued, we just start shooting and then if you are missing the instructor will guestimate your sight adjustments until you hit it. I worry that he may be compensating for a bad technique, not a bad gun... That is why I did my own.

· Registered
8,947 Posts
Well they are coming up with better and more rugged adjustable sights all the time. MMC and the new Novak adjustable sights are supposed to be pretty solid sights. I think thats gonna be the wave of the future.

As it was I had to have Heinie put on a new taller front sight.

Anyways if they are having to mess around with them that much as a taxpayer I say they should just get a quality heavyduty adjustable rear sight and be done with it.

· Registered
284 Posts
Sig P-220 for me. I carry it while working and when I'm on my own time. I'm extremely happy with the weapon and it is very accurate. I use the Rem. Golden Sabers and it seem to agree with the weapon. I like my Sig, and trust it, but my heart still belongs to my 1911's:)

· Registered
505 Posts
Duty carry P226 with 165 grain hydra-shoks. Stock weapon.

Personal (occasional) carry P226 9mm w/MMC sights, action/trigger job, barrel crown, GunKote finish. 127gr Black Talon.

Personal (usual) Kimber 5", unmodified, 185 gr Golden Saber.

· Registered
2,042 Posts
I carry a Sig 2340 on duty and is my primary off duty gun. And I carry a Sig 229 as an occassional off duty gun.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.