1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum and will be calling SIG directy tomorrow but I thought it may be helpful to post as well for any troubleshooting tips:

I shot my new Emperor Scorpion at my local range yesterday using Federal 45 230 grain ammo. After putting the very first 100 rounds through it, I routinely racked the slide a couple of times before reloading the mags and noticed the slide failed to return to battery. Thinking a tap to the end would resolve only to realize that the slide is literally stuck back by a millimeter. Even while using a little more strength by holding the slide with a sling-shot grip, the slide will not budge at all to the point where engaging the thumb safety, field stripping and shooting the gun again is not possible. It is worth noting that I lubed the barrel and slide rails prior.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Have you tried without the mag being inserted?
Can you remover the slide?
If yes, have you examined the rails?

·
Premium Member
16,292 Posts
Remove mag. I'd say the slide is hung up on the disconnector and you just have to push it back. Just verify the chamber is empty, put the edge of the muzzle on a block of pine leaving room to clear the barrel, and just put your weight on it. After you get it back and no other reason is found for it, take the slide off and shoot any kind of spray lube around the disconnector where it pops up out of the frame. Even WD-40 or Rem-oil will suffice for this, which is to lube the sear/disconnector to restore function until you can detail-strip the pistol and clean/lube it.
Even if its not the disconnector, you open the slide the same way. Whatever, let us know what happened.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Some foreign matter may have become trapped in the upper or lower barrel lug areas. This can cause the barrel to be become wedged between the top of the slide and the slide stop pin. This would also be indicated if the slide stop is also frozen in position, and has no free movement at all. If the slide stop can move freely, then this is probably not the problem.

Pull the hammer back, and try tapping on the muzzle with a heavy soft faced tool, like a hammer with a few layers of tape on its face.

I trust you have made absolutely sure there is no live round in the chamber.

-

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you tried without the mag being inserted?
Can you remover the slide?
If yes, have you examined the rails?
I have tried resetting the slide with both the mag inserted and without thus unable to remove the slide at all. I'm baffled as to what is preventing it from moving altogether.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how did the hammer get lowered? is that why the thumb safety can't be engaged?
the hammer will actually lower in the current state of the slide. The thumb safety can't be engaged because the notch is not aligned to allow it to engage.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Does the slide stop lever mover up and down with a normal amount of freedom?

The amount of travel will be slight, as the slide is not back, but does it move normally within its limits?

If the slide stop does move with a normal amount of freedom, the slide is likely binding on the frame. Try tapping lightly on the slide, alternately forward and rearward.

If the slide stop does not move with a normal amount of freedom, then the barrel is likely wedged as I described earlier. In that case try tapping on the barrel muzzle.

-

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Some foreign matter may have become trapped in the upper or lower barrel lug areas. This can cause the barrel to be become wedged between the top of the slide and the slide stop pin. This would also be indicated if the slide stop is also frozen in position, and has no free movement at all. If the slide stop can move freely, then this is probably not the problem.

Pull the hammer back, and try tapping on the muzzle with a heavy soft faced tool, like a hammer with a few layers of tape on its face.

I trust you have made absolutely sure there is no live round in the chamber.

-
I am certain there is no live round in the chamber. This literally occured after the final round of my last mag - I practiced using groups of 5 rounds per mag throughout and made it an exercise to keep track of my rounds. I couldn't say with confidence though that the casing ejected. I think you're right; something must be trapped because this slide feels like it is cemented in its current position.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I was pretty sure you had checked. I just thought it best to mention it after I suggested pulling the hammer back on a gun and tapping on it.

Were you able to detect any free movement in the slide stop, either up and down, or side to side?

-

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was pretty sure you had checked. I just thought it best to mention it after I suggested pulling the hammer back on a gun and tapping on it.

Were you able to detect any free movement in the slide stop, either up and down, or side to side?

-
absolutely - always a good reminder!

I just checked the slide stop with the hammer cocked and de-cocked and no substantial movement in either direction aside from a slight nudge if I press on the knob from the right side.

·
Registered
608 Posts
It does sound like the barrel may be wedged.

Just to confirm this, can you wiggle the barrel around at all within the slide? If you place a rod of some type (e.g. wood dowel) in the barrel, can you leverage the barrel up or down? Can you detect any movement at the ejection port?

If the barrel is also immobilized, then try tapping lightly on muzzle, with the hammer back, to make any progress more apparent.

When the slide binds on the frame, the barrel and slide stop should be normally free to move (more or less, depending on the fit), since they are not involved in the binding condition. This could be caused by galling on closely fitted stainless surfaces, or a trapped particle within the frame and slide bearing surfaces. In this case, the slide would be freed up by tapping directly on the slide.

When the barrel becomes wedged, the frame, slide, barrel, and slide stop all become tightly fitted together. In order to move the slide, you have to move the barrel along with it. In order to move the barrel, you have to drag it along the slide stop pin. The trapped particle has caused a tight interference fit between those parts. Since the barrel and slide move as a unit, and the real point of interference is between the barrel lower lug and slide stop pin, tapping on the barrel muzzle is more appropriate.

-

·
Registered
81 Posts
Barrel is wedged and your link pin is probably the culprit. MAKE SURE the gun is empty and force the slide back. Disassemble the gun and remove the barrel. Look for wear and a loose or disconnected pin.
Let us know.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Yup, vice and rubber mallet and get the slide moving

Reactions: NDL

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Is it fixed yet?
not yet. I sent it to Sig on Monday; it arrived today and their lead time is 1-2 weeks. Upon return, it'll includes notes from the gunsmith on what was found and the work completed with the firearm. I'll certainly share that information here to close out the thread.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts