1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey I'm new here but I've been lurking for a few months. I was thinking about buying a valtro 1911 due to all the good thing I have heard about them and because the valtro gunsmith and myself are both located in CA.

I am pretty new to handguns but I have done alot of research. Do you guys think that the GSR will be more accurate/reliable than the valtro, I mean can you tell by the parts used? I know that the valtro has 2 mim parts and the GSR has none. What do you guys think? I am torn.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Well, if the GSR is even in the same ballpark as the Valtro, it will be the absolute best deal in 1911s, or even in the whole gun world!

I haven't even seen a GSR, let alone touched, shot one, etc., but the Valtro is on par with the Wilson, Baer, Brown type of 1911s.

I love my Valtro!

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
The Valtro has already proven itself in its fairly new lifespan. The Sig has yet to go into production. I don't understand all this comparison talk. I don't know about you, but if I'm sinking four figures into a 1911, it won't be one that has yet to be proven after going into full production.

Parts alone can't tell you everything. They still need to be properly fitted together. We don't know who's going to be doing that at Sig and how qualified they'll be to do so. We do know at Valtro that it's going to go through John Jardine before it gets to you. Jardine's reputation is pretty well known and trusted. You do the math.

·
Registered
962 Posts
If that Sig is as good as a Valtro and sells at the price they say, there will be a run on them something fierce. They will be harder to find than a hens tooth.

Nala

·
Registered
134 Posts
How much does the Valtro 1998A1 cost?

·
Registered
354 Posts
I got mine for $1200. They're probably a little more now.

I hear the price of the GSR will be around $895.

I really can't believe the quality will be on par with the Valtro, which has the quality of the $2000 guns. But, if it is really nice, at that price, they will sell a lot of them.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
My longtime gun dealer is estimating his retail price will be in the ballpark of the mid seven hundred range, give or take a little.

In eleven years of doing business with him, his estimates are usually pretty right on.

We'll see re: the GSR, price wise and quality wise.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have shot a Valtro and have seen them used in advanced pistol classes. The SIG is too new to have a track record. It seems that you are comparing apples and oranges.
The Valtro is super smooth, tight and well timed. I believe Valtro prices have gone up due to the valuation of the Euro. If SIG cost figures are accurate it will sell at half the price of a Valtro. The SIG is a much less expensive gun. The comparison is similar to custom tuned BMW vs. showroom stock Nissan. Both are good cars but you can expect the Beemer to have a level of smoothness and precision not usually found in cheaper cars. The two makers really don't compete with each other.
Check www.jardinescustom.com and www.valtrousa.com for more info on Jardine and the Valtro.
Good Luck
Mike

·
Premium Member
20,405 Posts
I was fortunate to see and hold the Sigs last month. I was impressed by both the choice in parts and the assembly. With Sig's reputation, I believe their GSR's will be lowballed into the market to get a foot hold right off the bat. Kinda like Kimber did last decade. The guys buying the early ones will get the cream of the crop while they try to impress everyone with the new product. If you want the rail and don't mind the external extractor, I'd say jump on one. Nothing else in the price range will come close.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I'm not big on the SIG line but this GSR looks pretty nice.
At the proposed market prices that I see and from what I've read, I just might look into one in '04.

I looked at the Valtro before I bought my CQB. I wanted a combat/tactical type .45 ACP pistol not a pretty pistol.

I couldn't get fixed night sights which I wanted and as I said before, the 1998A1 was FAR too BIG for my liking and from the photos that I saw, it looked like someone had gotten a buffer for their birthday and used the s#@* out of it.

·
Premium Member
20,405 Posts
I've got no dog in the fight, but heard that a fellow member is taking orders for the Sig at great price. Just trying to help out anyone shopping. www.adcofirearms.com

·
Registered
893 Posts
I am not aware of the GSR status on the Cali DOJ list.

If the GSR does meet the quoted prices and works well out of the box, it will have a serious impact on a number of players at the 1100-1200 price point.

Valtros strike me as having very odd beavertail fit. That, and the billboard size rollmark, is rather offputting.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Between the two pistols, the Valtro is the better deal, since it is gone over by one of the best 1911 'smiths in the business. That said, the Valtro is fine for range use, but adjustable sights are a liability on a self-defense gun. Due to the GCA '68, the Valtro does not come in a fixed-sight version.

If your main objective is paper-punching, then the Valtro would be my choice. If I were looking for a defensive 1911, I would get a used, LNIB Wilson CQB - or a Colt Series 70 and have it worked on by a reputable 1911 'smith.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I don't own either one, but at this point I would opt for the Valtro, due to it's having been on the market for a short while and working out some of the bugs. In time, due to Sigs outstanding worksmanship and accuracy, I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be one of the best semi 1911 designs yet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts