1911Forum banner

SIG GSR - Reliability Good?

2K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  M.A. 
#1 ·
I have been looking at the SIG GSR but have heard when they first came out they had reliability issues. Did SIG fix this problem?

#2 ·
A friend at the range has the new GSR, and he's having feeding problems. With factory rounds, he gets frequent failure to feed problems. With my reloads (200g LSWC, crimped to .468") he has no problems. He's tried several different brands of ammo, same thing. His barrel could have an extra tight chamber, but I hesitate to suggest having it opened up a little my our local gunsmith, it would void any warrentee I think. Until he gets it figured out, I've been giving him some of my reloads - but I keep thinking of the liability issue of that.

#3 ·
I've got a new Revolution, and as far as reliability goes, well it's my new ccw. Does that answer your question? Seriously. it feeds Hydra Shoks and Gold Dots like a charm and is as accurate as you could ask for. I'm using Wilson and McCormick Powermags, and feel this is the best 1911 I've ever owned. I had an earlier "railed" GSR that had several issues, but fedding and accuracy weren't among them. That's what encouraged me to take another look at Sig when the Revolutions came out. And I'm glad I did. Good luck.

#4 ·
My understanding is that reliability of these guns has improved over initial production run. I will also tell you that SIG does have an excellent reputation and I have no doubt that if you were to have a problem they would take care of it.

BTW - Not to get off topic, but what is it about the GSR that you're attracted to. Personally, I've always thought they were nice guns, but a little over-priced for what you get. Lots of other choices out there. I personally own a SW1911 which is very accurate and probably has 3-4,000 rounds through it with 0 problems of any kind. It's also a heck of a lot cheaper than a SIG.

Or, if money isn't an issue, spend a little more and you can get a RRA, Les Baer, Nighthawk, or have someone do some nice custom work on a Springfield. Just my 2 cents though.

#6 ·
Glocker,

Just curious, what price have you been given for GSR. My memory was that they are running just shy of $1,000, while a vanilla SW1911 can be found for under $700. Did a quick search on Gunsamerica.com, which seems to confirm this. If your experience is $125 difference between Smith and Sig you're either getting an awesome deal on the GSR or getting screwed on the Smith.

Oh, and I know you didn't ask, but I'll throw out another suggestion - PC945 (also a Smith & Wesson). Built by the Performance Center. Very similar to a 1911 - but also a little different. Comes with adjustable sights. 2 8 round mags (not interchangeable with 1911's). Will cost you a couple of hundred more than a SIG, but it's a dream to shoot. Great sights. Awesome trigger. Great balance. A little easier to field strip than a 1911 (at least for me). And far more accurate than I'll ever be.

But it sounds like you have your heart set on the Sig though, so I won't try to talk you out of it. I actually had a chance to shoot one before they were released to the general public. (Sig had a demo day at range in NH and I live in Boston, so I went up and had some fun). Although I like my SW1911 better, I'm sure a lot of it is the fact that I've put so many rounds through it I'm just used to it. Sig is also a great gun and the one I shot was a real tack driver.

Again, I wouldn't worry too much about quality issues. In the unlikely event you did end up with a lemon I have no doubt that the boys at SIG would make it right.

Whatever you get, please post a range report and pics.:)

#7 ·
I paid $899 for my Revolution. At the time, I had actually gone planning to trade for a Smith 5" PD which was marked at $750. Also looked at a Springer Black Stainless for $775. Then I spied the Revolution, and the rest was history. You may have me confused with the thread starter, Bushmasterguy, as I already own a Revolution and was just answering his question. Yes, the Smith 945 is a nice gun, but as you said, it's not really a 1911. And finally, yes indeed a "vanilla" S&W 1911 can be found under $700. In that case, for my extra $200+, I got a checkered front strap, night sights, nice wood grips, and No mim. Any way I look at it, I find the Sig a real bargain for what it offers. At least, it is for me. Your opinions may vary. But then, that's why so many differant 1911 manufacturers can stay in business, right?

#8 ·
A guy on AR15.com has a smoking price on the new Revolution, $859 shipped. Definately a better pic than a S&W full of molded parts ;)

#9 ·
My new GSR was not reliable at all. It failed to feed on several types of ammo. Sent it in, and they told me it was fine.

So the shop i bought it from is taking it back defective since it doesn't chamber for them also.

Another problem was my handgrips. ALWAYS check that they don't have any play/wiggle room in them. Sig didn't bother to fix that either when I sent it in.

#10 ·
A local range has one in the rental case, and when I asked about any problems with the ACT mags, since I'd heard mixed reviews of them, the counter guy (who I know as more than just the "counter guy"; he's a sharp gun guy) told me the mags had held up great, but the gun was on its fourth extractor.

#11 ·
I picked up a GSR Revolution in late December. I was immediately impressed with the quality of the components used in the gun. I was also impressed with the hand fitting and tight lockup of the barrel and bushing. Slide to frame fit is precise, without being needlessly tight.

I did have some feeding problems with factory ball ammo, and some SWC IDPA loads (ammo was nosediving). The feeding problems were much worse with the Novak mags. Feeding improved greatly using my Wilson mags.

I contacted SIGARMS, and they asked me to send it in. They paid the shipping both ways, and I had the gun back in 10 days. The feeding problem with factory ammo is gone, though the gun still doesn't like the SWCs. No big deal, I can use ball or flat point cone for IDPA. It shoots like a dream now, and oh my word, is it accurate!

I am a very satisfied customer. The GSR Revolution is a great buy, considering what you get for the money.

#12 ·
Sig GSR

I have a relatively early production, first model GSR, SER#3XXX. When I got it, I was having both FTF &FTE problems. I also was VERY hard to cycle the action, it felt as though something was locking it up:scratch: !

I took the gun to a friend, who happens to be a pretty famous 1911 guy. We test fired it, examined ejected cases, talked about the FTF's, and figured out why it was so damn hard to cycle. Then he told me that he could fix all of it.

Well, I paid $899 for a brand new pistol, and figured SIG would take care of it for me. I have carried a SIG P229 for almost 10 years now, and have had no problems. (I did have a factory night sight die on me, returned it to SIG and they fixed it for free and I had my slide back in three days!) Not bad.

I returned the GSR to SIG by FedEx. They picked up the bill, and about three weeks later I had my GSR back. Since then, I have put approx. 3K rounds down range without any kinds of problems. I absolutely LOVE this pistol. I was training with some guys on my team and after the session we broke out personal guns to play with. From 15 yards I put six 8 round mags through a racketball sized hole. Not too shabby considering the company I was in. Just a little pressure to say the least!

Anyway, I cannot say enough good about SIG's customer service. Sure, I sucks that the pistol wasn't perfect from the start, but they more than made up for it.

The FTE fix was just a new ejector. I'm not sure about the FTF's, but that is fixed too, and the catchy, hard cycling was the barrel link pin needed to be recessed.

#13 ·
Well it's nice to know it's not me that is causing the feeding problems.

Basically the Parts used are great quality, but it's apparent that sig needs to take a lot more time at fitting and quality control with this model.

You expect a complete 1911 for this price.

I will say that when a cartridge actually chambers the accuracy is great on these.

mine is batch - GS054xx for the record

#14 ·
Over 2500 flawless rounds through mine so far.

I've got one of the original 1st production run GSRs. Out of the box, it's been a literal tack driver. The Barrel-Slide-Frame fit is first rate. It locks up like a bank vault without the slightest hint of play. I've put varous types of ball and hollowpoints through it without any problems.

As mentioned in posts above, the internal components are top quality without any MIM. For the money, I think the GSR is hard to beat.

Belgian Blue

#15 ·
I have an early run of the GSR and I could not be happier. It feeds anything and is an absolute joy to shoot. It locks up real tight and the slide is as smooth as butter. I did adjust the trigger weight down a bit but that is my preference.

I have handled some top end custom 1911's by various makers and find the Sig GSR as good or better. For what I paid I honestly feel this GSR is worth it and more.
The quality of parts in this firearm is second to none, including custom guns that will run you over $2000. I'd match it up against any of them.

Granted, I may have gotten lucky.

#16 ·
GSR Reliability

I've got a GSR in the GS050XX range. I'm currently on my second extractor but beyond that, I think it's a great gun. As for 1911's, I've got 3 Les Baer's, a Wilson, a new Nighthawk, several Kimber's and a Colt. I personally feel the GSR is a very high quality gun using many of the same parts (Greider slide stop - same as Nighthawk, EGW bushing, no MIM parts and now, even Nill grips) as the much more expensive guns. In addition, Sig customer service is is the greatest. Both times I've had to have the extractor replaced, Sig payed transportation both ways and had my gun back within a week. On this most recent occasion, they even sent me an extra extractor and pin so I can replace it myself in the event it breaks again. Maybe it helps that I'm quoted on their website under customer service, but so what? Regardless, I think it's a great gun - especially for the money

#17 ·
pippin said:
My understanding is that reliability of these guns has improved over initial production run. I will also tell you that SIG does have an excellent reputation and I have no doubt that if you were to have a problem they would take care of it.

BTW - Not to get off topic, but what is it about the GSR that you're attracted to. Personally, I've always thought they were nice guns, but a little over-priced for what you get. Lots of other choices out there. I personally own a SW1911 which is very accurate and probably has 3-4,000 rounds through it with 0 problems of any kind. It's also a heck of a lot cheaper than a SIG.

Or, if money isn't an issue, spend a little more and you can get a RRA, Les Baer, Nighthawk, or have someone do some nice custom work on a Springfield. Just my 2 cents though.
Actually you get a lot for the price. Like no MIM, hand fitting, tight bbl-bushing fit, etc. My only problem is the profile of the slide makes it hard to find holsters.

#18 ·
GSR Reliability

I have an early model and the reliability fit and finish are good. I bought
mine used and saved big time.

Resell value isn't good, but if you can check out the gun before buying
it can be a real deal.

Mine feels very solid like a tank. The take down and put together generally
follow 1911 manual of arms.

Later

JIM

#19 ·
Gsr

I have been trying for several years to decide which .45 ACP to buy. The Baer's and Wilson's seem a little too pricey for my budget. I had been going to go with a Kimber Eclipse or a Springfield in black stainless. After seeing Sig's ads and reading about their features, I had changed my mind. Seeing the posts on this thread, I agree that you do get alot for your money. I am going to my dealer today (my dealer is 60 miles away) and see if he carries them. Thanks for everyone's input.

#20 ·
I've had my GSR almost 2 years with no problems. It feeds every type of factory ammo perfectly, with zero problems. My reloads are another story. The Storm Lake barrel chamber is tight, which results in outstanding accuracy, but it just doesn't like my reloads, not up to SAMI specs, I guess.
I keep it loaded by the bedside with a Streamlight M3 hanging on it.
P.S. I sold my Wilson Combat CQB once I bought my GSR.

#21 ·
Gsr

Andy,
To each his own and I believe you should customize your gun to suit your own tastes. That being said, I think your GSR is PERFECT! The stainless along with the carbon fiber grips is the look I love. I haven't seen any wood grips that I thought looked nice, especially the black ones that come on the Kimber Eclipse, but yours are great. Would you mind if I ask where you got them? I don't want to copy someone else's work, but -WOW!! Thanks for your info.

Rodney

#23 ·
Gsr

Thanks for the link Andy. One more (2 part) question. Are they the regular or ultra slim grips and was there anything else you had to get besides the stainless screws to get them to fit (bushings,etc)? Like I said, I am new to 1911'S and don't have a clue. Thanks for all of your help. I really appreciate it.

#24 ·
They are the standard width grips, and fit the factory grip bushings and screws perfectly. Nothing else is needed. If you have a magwell installed, or are going to install one at a later date, get the Government "square" grips, so you don't have a gap between your grips and magwell. If you are not going to install a magwell, just get the regular ones. They have all different colors and grip patterns. The black, or the black/blue combo really look great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.