1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anybody give me any reports and or information on the SIG GSR?
is it worhty of the original hype lauded on it by the mags?
thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
After its initial teething problems mine has been running fine. Other people have not been so lucky. My understanding is SIG is still working on their production line since they are no longer buying the frames and slides from Caspian. I have heard SIG will begin production sometime in November.
I guess the best way to sum up my impression of the GSR is this. I bought mine with the intent of carrying it off duty. After reading all the bad experiences and having my own I have decided it will take a couple thousand rounds before I am willing to bet my life on it. Until then it is a fine range pistol............this is just my opinion though. Hopefully SIG will get it right the second time around.

I see you are from Ft. Campbell. I am in Clarksville. Welcome neighbor!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the welcome.. although I am moving to iraq in november... lol
where do you do most of your weapon shopping?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I buy almost all of my pistols at a place in Greenbrier TN called Guns and Leather. They usually have good prices and a good selection. Lots of 1911s from different manufactures. My wife bought my GSR their for 900.00 OTD. Really nice indoor range also. Oh.............10% off for military also :)

I do believe the gun rags put wayyyyyy to much hype on the GSR.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how far away is that? I am desperate to get a new 45 before i deploy... but I cant find anything I want around here with good prices...

·
Registered
657 Posts
Up to date info

I talked to Eric at Sig customer service this morning and was told they have about 70 guns coming off the line hopefully this week, the first 9 or 10 are all going to warranty replacements like mine.

I sent mine in July :bawling: so needless to say I am more than ready to get the gun back. Sig is making the Frames and Slides themselves, not sure about the small parts. For anyone else waiting on the new version from Sig, Eric said they WOULD NOT allow these guns to leave the factory until they were certain that they were up to more usual Sig standards.

I will update after my new one gets here late this week or early next. Given the problems I had with the first one its a safe bet that I'll be wringing the new one out pretty well as soon as I get it.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,215 Posts
After all the hype about Matt McLearn having been hired as a consultant, etc., I see on his gunsmthing site that he has a GSR tune-up package that costs something like $500; didn't he get it right the first time?
Not to aim this specifically at GSR fans, but why do consumers think a company with no 1911 background is going to magically make a perfect 1911, first time out? I see a lot of posts like, "I can't wait for Smith & Wesson to come out with a 1911 . . .", as if Smith knows something about the gun that Colt, Kimber, Springfield, etc., don't know?

·
Premium Member
9,375 Posts
coffindragger said:
can anybody give me any reports and or information on the SIG GSR?
is it worhty of the original hype lauded on it by the mags?
thanks

I don't know much about the lately. I haven't seen many posts on them.
Did Sig stop making them for a while to get the problems ironed out?

I will say this about the hype you refer to: The initial SIG expierences overall
were a disaster for the company. It really hurt their rep as a quality shop.
I hope the GSR gets worked out and runs like a champ. Actually we all
know SIG will get it right. This is how good their reputation is. But the
problems from the initial run will haunt the GSR forever. And that is a shame.

Regards,
Greyson

·
Registered
390 Posts
The new run of GSRs sould be ready for order in the next couple of weeks according to my dealer's distributor.

In the beginning, some guns came out with misfit parts that were corrected.

Later, a couple of slides came in with an out-of-spec firing pin hole where the pin would walk out of the slide. Then some other parts didn't come in spec-ed right and left them with problems that way.

For this run, Sig is producing slides and frames in house to make sure these problems don't happen. Sadly, I've already bought a TRP Operator, so maybe the stars will line up again in the future.

·
Registered
657 Posts
RickB

"After all the hype about Matt McLearn having been hired as a consultant, etc., I see on his gunsmthing site that he has a GSR tune-up package that costs something like $500; didn't he get it right the first time?
Not to aim this specifically at GSR fans, but why do consumers think a company with no 1911 background is going to magically make a perfect 1911, first time out? I see a lot of posts like, "I can't wait for Smith & Wesson to come out with a 1911 . . .", as if Smith knows something about the gun that Colt, Kimber, Springfield, etc., don't know?"

I for one, never thought Sig knew something about the gun that other major manufacturers do not, I did think however that the combination of bringing Matt McLearn in and their commitment to "To Hell and Back Reliability" would lead to them producing a good gun.

The mistake I think they made was in trying to cobble together parts from various places and assemble a gun without the substantal gunsmithing that that approach would require.

Now that the damage has been done to the Gun and company's reputation at least they are standing behind the guns 100%. I was offered my choice of a check to cover the gun's cost, and shipping or a replacement gun with their Trigger/Action job done before it was sent to me. I thought about it, but I wanted a GSR so i'll wait for a GSR.

As for McLearn offering to fix guns he helped design for $500, anyone who would pay $595 (Basic Package) to have him fix a gun Sig will fix or replace for free has more money than sense. The $1695 "Ultimate GSR" package is a whole different story as that takes the gun more in the custom direction.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Sig GSR greatest think since chocolate?

Gee these gun rags seem to be not worth very much, as they are willing to drool over any new gun that a manufacturer will send them! Well maybe they get their stuff for free, but the rest of us can't afford these fix or repair dailys.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
RickB said:
Not to aim this specifically at GSR fans, but why do consumers think a company with no 1911 background is going to magically make a perfect 1911, first time out? I see a lot of posts like, "I can't wait for Smith & Wesson to come out with a 1911 . . .", as if Smith knows something about the gun that Colt, Kimber, Springfield, etc., don't know?

But S&W got their 1911 right, and SIG fumbled big-time. I still don't understand it. How could SIG, with their reputation, put out such an inferior product as the GSR? I would bet several people lost their jobs over that.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
major caliber said:
Gee these gun rags seem to be not worth very much, as they are willing to drool over any new gun that a manufacturer will send them! Well maybe they get their stuff for free, but the rest of us can't afford these fix or repair dailys.
The gun rags need something to write about and also need advertising revenue. The two just naturally go hand-in-hand. I would not rely on gun rag reviews as a basis for buying any gun. The best info is right here on this Forum.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Plus their reviews are based on limited range time alot of problems take more than a couple of hundred rounds to show up.

·
Registered
657 Posts
GSR Update from Sig

First, no question the various gun rags are pretty much worthless, I'm not sure I have ever read one that said this _____ is a piece of junk not worth buying. Wonder what they would say if you sent them a HiPoint with H&K stamped on the side...

I talked to a Sig Customer Service Rep (Ed) this morning and was told that they finally have guns off the line ready to be shipped and that the new version will initially NOT have the much maligned light rail. The light rail guns will be available in late October.

I opted to go ahead and get one without the rail on it since I really only wanted it for the extra weight in front and at least it should fit standard holsters better now. They are doing a complimentary trigger/action job on the gun, i'll post to say how it shoots when it gets here next week.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Another point of view...

RickB said:
After all the hype about Matt McLearn having been hired as a consultant, etc., I see on his gunsmthing site that he has a GSR tune-up package that costs something like $500; didn't he get it right the first time?

I have owned several Colts, and believe me... They have had their share of issues too. They've been making the 1911 for over 90 years and their quality control is a gamble at best IMO. I've had two that needed a trip back to Conn. for manufacturer's defects. My most expensive "Custom Shop" colt has been back for service THREE times and it still has a couple nagging issues.

Conversely, my GSR has been FLAWLESS out of the box through over 2000 rounds to date. We mostly hear of the bad apples, but there are indeed some very happy GSR owners in the world.

I just get sick of reading about the initial teething pains SiGARMS went through while companies like Colt tend to get a free pass for their QC problems that have existed for DECADES.

Belgian Blue

·
Registered
561 Posts
Gsr

If Sig is sending out warrenty replacements first,I should get one of the first ones out the door.My GSR lasted 108 rounds ,then locked up.This made the issue with the rear sight falling off at around 50 rounds rather triveral. Mine has been gone since July also.

Greg

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
My GSR has also been flawless in the 1500 rounds that I have put thru it. Accuracy is outstanding, and the reliability has been perfect!

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
If Sig gets its function issues addressed and builds a 1911 with Bomar - style sights, I will buy one.

Sig has certainly stumbled out of the box, while S & W has not, but I will keep an open mind about getting one at some point.

I kind of like the looks of the GSR, and I own several Sigs (2 226s and a 220) which are great guns.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts