1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was borrowed from the SIG Forum and is an E-Mail response from SIG to a member's question about the P-226 Navy and it's phosphate-coated internals (or lack thereof):

Thank you for your email.

There were three different version of the Navy P226 pistols. (I would need the serial number to know which version you have).

First version was an NSW serialized pistol. This was the non-railed Limited Edition...a percentage of the proceeds went to the Naval Special Warfare Foundation. They had phosphate parts and mags along with a Certificate of Authenticity.

The second version were actual Navy over-run pistols. They had decided to switch their pistols to the railed P226's. The extra non-railed guns were offered to the public...they had the phosphate parts etc...but did not have certificates.

The third version is a regular production railed model. They were made to replicate the Navy pistols with the anchor engraving. They also came with three phosphated hi-cap magazines (in non-restrictive states). The rest of the parts do not have a phosphate finish. We no longer advertize the Navy pistols as having a phosphate finish.

Sincerely

Heck, I was fooled. I thought the currently offered Navy-version 226's did indeed feature the phosphated internals (similar to the actual issue versions). Doesn't make any difference to the function of the gun (unless you live in a swamp, maybe, or go swimming with it), but I think a lot of folks were disappointed to learn that this feature is no longer included.

Is an anchor marking and a third mag the major selling point for this gun?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
The selling point would be it's probably still a pretty good weapon, and one of America's most elite units carry, at least some of the time, that weapon. Therefore us Military junkies can't help ourselves. I don't have one, but if someone gave me one I'd be ecstatic!!! Phosphate coating or not. I gotta admit, the phosphate coated internals would give me an extra level of comfort in the pistol though.

·
Administrator
73,792 Posts
It reminds me of the M9 clones Beretta is currently selling to civilians. Aside from the fact that the slide rollmark is slightly different, there's no PM proofmark on the slide, most of the small parts are missing the ASSY numbers, and the hex grip screws they're dead ringers for the actual military issue guns. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have two. An original NSW non-rail version and a current R (railed) Navy. Uber reliable with everything I've put through them over several thousand rounds. No extra charge for the NAVY when I bought mine. Same price as the regular P226. They are just a blast to shoot.

As accurate as you are capable of being right out of the box.

I'm doing a head-to-head shootout over the next few weeks with my new CZ 75B.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts