1911Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
I liked the sights .. some kind of green and white front ..

i could see it being a nice pocket pistol but I have not been able to achieve a good system of drawing from the pocket I feel safe with ...

have been sticking with IWB ..

question , do those of you who carry a P365 do so IWB or pocket carry ...

Alabama brand plastic molded pocket rig is my only pocket holster experience
I have a Remora pocket holster for some other small gun (likely a Glock 43) and one of their magazine carriers. What I do is stuff the P365 into that holster with a flat mag inserted. The finger rest mag goes into the spare mag holder in the other pocket. I have a piece of white t-shirt 4" wide by 8 to 10" long or so that I use to break up the "triangle" shape of the gun. I wad it up and maneuver it around in the pocket on the sides of the holster (never the front) until the entire thing looks like a shapeless blob.

A .06" kydex holster would carry better than a Remora because the soft material of the Remora is quite thick. I'm looking at building one for myself.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
do you feel safe drawing it from your pocket cleanly is my problem ... mostly the getting it past the pocket and lastly the finger on the bang switch while presenting from my pocket ...

thank you for the help ...

·
Super Moderator
71,885 Posts
I have no trouble pulling mine out of the pocket, and the booger hook is always pointed forward during the draw. Sometimes the holster comes out with the firearm, but that is a common issue with pocket holsters.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
1911's will always be be favorite auto but most days my ruger lcr 357 is along for the ride. However with these crazy times we are in I just picked up a walther ppq in 45. 12+1 of 45acp is very comforting. Just waiting on my holster.

Yes I know Mr. I hate tupperware bought a striker fired gun. :eek:

·
Registered
146 Posts
I had one and liked everything about it except like the Glock, the trigger made my finger sore. I even installed the straight trigger, same problem, shot the XL version, same problem. Finally gave up and went back to the Shield. I now have three of those. They fit me like a glove and no trigger issues.
Rather than add an Apex trigger to my 1.0 Shield sold it during the April panic and shot several P365's. Like you not impressed with the trigger, grip just too small and accuracy disappointing so bought the new 2.0 Shield 9 mm while wished I had bought the .45, oh well.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have no trouble pulling mine out of the pocket, and the booger hook is always pointed forward during the draw. Sometimes the holster comes out with the firearm, but that is a common issue with pocket holsters.
I had the same problem with my Kahr CM9 & a Nemesis pocket holster. Put some strips of stick on non-skid on both sides of the holster. Holster doesn't come out any more even with real loose pockets.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I like to carry my full size 1911. A lot of the time, particularly at work, a pocket gun is needed. Replaced a PF9 with the P365 as a pocket gun, was easier to shoot, more accurate and higher capacity. I've been thinking about getting a 12 round mag for it which then eliminates it from pocket carry. I have a Milt Sparks Summer Special for it which carries nicely. I could also carry my EMP4 which carries the best of the three, I shoot it better than the P365, yes it's 2 rounds down to the 12 round mag of the P365 but I'm more confident on that first shot going where I want. The full size 1911 is two more rounds down to the EMP4 but it's a .45...life is tough, decisions, decisions. Nah, life is good when I have these decisions to make!

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
BLikeYork Tried the P365 and the XL with my wife a 2 years ago and found I really had no use for another pocket pistol . I have a kahr cm9 I have not touched in 5 year now . Also have no need for a pocket pistol since I retired . BUT the p365xl got my attention . MY wife liked it too be had just laid claim to a kimber 9mm ultra and at the time she was pleased with it . I figured I would let a couple years go by so beta testing might find any issues before thinking about the XL model again .

So I went to our general store about 3 months ago to see what came in used or what they had in a 9mm 1911 . They display 400 plus firearms typically so there not your average general store . They had nothing used for me and no new 9mm 1911's but I spotted a P365xl with a thumb safety for a 540 bucks made 2 weeks earlier so I took it home . It passed my reliability test , and then my wife shot it . Second mag full she shot 1 handed standing at 10 yards and shot two 6 round groups using the first round fired as an aim point . She ended up with 2- 1.5" clusters . She fired another 2 hundred rounds the next day and carried it for a couple weeks . I'm thinking I got my little kimber back but nope she went back to the kimber as her EDC . Said she was comfortable with it ! I spent time running drill on my home range with the XL and find I shoot it as well as larger pistols . IT handles recoil very well for a 20oz empty pistol . I shoot my carry pistols using a " Sweep The Trigger "style for the trigger pull so the trigger pull type matters little for most defensive shooting distances .

MY normal edc is a 5.8 year old P320 compact 40 but also carry and practice with a lw commander 45 so the little XL fills a gap for when smaller is wanted . Always had a 1911 around too but the commanders my first alloy frame model . Makes for a better carry pistol .

I also found out the P365xl's 3.7" barrel from the trigger guard forward is the same length as our kimber ultra so it fits a couple of our hybrid 1911 holsters including a Stealthgear ventcore and a Wright Leather Closer iwb she has for the kimber ultra 9mm .

https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/kimber-1911-ultra-vs-sig-sauer-p365-xl

·
Registered
71 Posts
I acquired my first 1911 when I was 17 y/o. At almost 60 now, there have been few times that I haven't had one in those intervening years. I've also had other firearms, of course. DA revolvers, DA/SA semi-autos, DAO semi-autos, striker-fired, you name it. I picked up a P365 a couple of years ago. I found that for such a small pistol, it really is hard to beat for reliability and accuracy. While I can usually conceal something bigger, there are a few times that the P365 fits the bill when other things won't. That's where it really shines, IMO.

·
Super Moderator
71,885 Posts
Given the modularity of the P365's grip frame I don't know why SIG hasn't begun to offer ones in different sizes for it. For guys like me with small mitts the existing grip is fine, but those of you with hands big enough to slap a T-Rex silly likely can't stand it. I'm quite humored by Hickok45, who carries a P365 but has put no less than two layers of Talon grip material around the frame of his.

·
Registered
758 Posts
if you google p365 grip module, you crabs with big claws will find that you can buy all sorts of custom grip modules / frames. Very cool stuff.

I have to say, I hate plastic guns for the most part and was never a Sig fan, but the P320 family (including the 365) are the most perfect guns since the 1911. In fact, the 320 feels like a 1911 grip angle wise. It ain't no steel 1911... but it's lightyears better than the M9 it replaces.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I spent considerably time debating whether to add a P365XL or a P938 to the roster and trying both.

Of course, if one is big on 7+1 not being enough, then that would rule out the P938, but to me it feels better in the hand and I shoot it a little better. So a Legion is on order.

That said I did think the P365 a good option, either version though I preferred XL.

Alunimum frames are coming out for it from the aftermarket. That should be quite interesting. I might have come to the opposite conclusion if I'd had access to an aluminum-frame P365XL.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I spent considerably time debating whether to add a P365XL or a P938 to the roster and trying both.

Of course, if one is big on 7+1 not being enough, then that would rule out the P938, but to me it feels better in the hand and I shoot it a little better. So a Legion is on order.

That said I did think the P365 a good option, either version though I preferred XL.

Alunimum frames are coming out for it from the aftermarket. That should be quite interesting. I might have come to the opposite conclusion if I'd had access to an aluminum-frame P365XL.
I also have been considering a P938 or P365, and was wondering why I haven't heard more 1911 guys choosing the 938 over the 365.

·
Super Moderator
71,885 Posts
I also have been considering a P938 or P365, and was wondering why I haven't heard more 1911 guys choosing the 938 over the 365.
For me the P938 is too heavy for a pocket pistol. I know this might ruffle a few feathers, but to me both the P365 and the Springfield Hellcat make all the 6+1 single-stack pocket 9mms obsolete. If the latter were noticeably smaller or lighter they wouldn't be, but they're not. They're all the same size as the P365 and the same weight or heavier.

·
Super Moderator
21,984 Posts
The P365 is two ounces heavier than the P938?
Full load of ammo onboard, it's even heavier.

·
Super Moderator
71,885 Posts
Wow, I didn't realize the P365 is actually the heavier of the two. When the P938 first came out I felt it was too heavy compared to the competition. Was a steel-frame version ever offered?

·
Registered
405 Posts
There was a steel frame P238 but I believe never a steel frame P938.

(How much sense does that make? None to me, as I'd carry a few extra ounces yet still light to shoot faster and tighter, but weight-hatred is pretty prevalent these days and for some time, and perhaps the all-steel P238 did not do well.)

·
Super Moderator
71,885 Posts
Well my old man brain is starting to reveal itself at last. I must be remembering the time I was comparing a P238 to a Glock 42 and Kahr P380, not when I was looking at 9mm carry guns. I remember the SIG being noticeably heavier and thus not ideal for shorts pocket carry, so it must have been a steel frame.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I don't mind the weight of the P365, even as a pocket carried gun. In fact (although I have belt holsters for it), front pants pocket is where it rides most often.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts