1911Forum banner

SIG P365 - a crabby 1911 owners view ..

8K views 47 replies 28 participants last post by  old doc 
#1 ·
Ok,

I like cars with Chrome bumpers and using the card catalog so ...

I had a chance to fire a few rounds from one these new wonder pistols (P365) and must admit I don't like the Glock trigger at all but this was a step closer to a 1911

it was a nice shooting pistol .... I didnt hate it and I was ready to dismiss it going in ...
but, it was really small in the hand for me ... I shot it better than the G26 I use for very wet conditions and have carried some when I knew I was gonna get drenched

then a few rounds from a G'ovt Colt 45acp ... happiness ... and I could hit something!!!

why I bother w anything else ... only worry of rust I guess ..

anyway, Life is short ... I'm gonna just risk it from now on with one of the Colt's ..

#36 ·
The P365 is two ounces heavier than the P938?
Full load of ammo onboard, it's even heavier.

#37 ·
Wow, I didn't realize the P365 is actually the heavier of the two. When the P938 first came out I felt it was too heavy compared to the competition. Was a steel-frame version ever offered?

#38 ·
There was a steel frame P238 but I believe never a steel frame P938.

(How much sense does that make? None to me, as I'd carry a few extra ounces yet still light to shoot faster and tighter, but weight-hatred is pretty prevalent these days and for some time, and perhaps the all-steel P238 did not do well.)

#39 ·
Well my old man brain is starting to reveal itself at last. I must be remembering the time I was comparing a P238 to a Glock 42 and Kahr P380, not when I was looking at 9mm carry guns. I remember the SIG being noticeably heavier and thus not ideal for shorts pocket carry, so it must have been a steel frame.

#40 ·
I don't mind the weight of the P365, even as a pocket carried gun. In fact (although I have belt holsters for it), front pants pocket is where it rides most often.

#42 ·
This is why I bought two P365s. One has been test-fired to ensure it is GTG, and is used exclusively for carry. I simply clean it once a month to remove accumulated grit and then put a box of 50 through it a couple times a year to make sure everything is still working. The second one is the range gun and gets the snot shot out of it.

#43 · (Edited)
That sounds like an excellent idea. I've always thought regularly using your EDC gun for a range gun would wear it out much quicker. But I guess it just depends on how often you shoot and how many rounds you put through it each time at the range.....5000 total rounds? 10,000? 15,000? More? There are a finite number of times you're going to be able to pull the trigger and the gun consistently go boom. At the very least you'll be replacing parts as time goes on. This could affect the performance of your EDC gun and conceivably decrease it's dependability over time.

If you don't really shoot on a steady basis and only occasionally go to the range I'm sure just one gun for EDC and the range would be fine. Not sure if my logic is correct...but for those of us that shoot fairly regularly, the idea of having a gun for EDC and another of the same make and model exclusively for the range makes sense. So does practicing with the same gun you carry.

#45 ·
Late to the tread But I shot a p365 and did not find it something that I wanted or that my wife cared for ether so we moved one . That was a couple years ago . A few months back I tried a p365xl and liked that one . Our general store had a p365xl in stock next time I stopped by and brought it home for $498 plus tax . Cleaned it up lubed it well and asked my wife is she wanted to help me get to know it . I shoot the first mag full and handed it to me wife and she shoot it two handed at 15 yards and said she would have to adjust her grip so I side shoot it one handed . Next mag she fire at a carboard silhouette at 10 yards , no aim point except for the first round fired and shot 2-6 shot groups of 1.5" one handed at 10 yards . We ran thru a couple hundred rounds pretty quickly and my wife carried it for a couple weeks in her normal 1911 holster and fired a couple hundred more rounds include 147gr hst and then went back to her kimber ultra 9mm for carry . Go figure !

So I have a nice shooting p365xl when I need a smaller pistol for iwb . I just happen to prefer a 4" full size pistol for my daily carry .

#46 ·
I will always be hardcore committed to 1911's. Main carry guns.

That being said.....I wanted to upgrade my "small gun" capabilities for times wen they make the most sense such as with gym shorts, etc.

Added a P365 a little over a week ago. Lucked out and found the TAC-PACK package where the gun comes with three 12rd magazines and a convertible holster.

Also picked up another 12rd and four 15rd mags that came in the same day as the gun. Gotta love it when a plan comes together. :)

A couple days later the flat trigger & Talon grip enhancer arrived....as well as some Crossbreed action.

Gotta get my arse to the range and get some rounds through it. Hope it shoots as good as the rental pistola did.

#48 ·
Regretably, I sold my P365 along with the several magazines and holsters I had accumulated. For reasons I can't explain, the trigger bites my finger in similar fashion to my experience with Glocks. I tried changing to the straight trigger without benefit. I tried the P365XL , which comes with a flat trigger. No better. Other than the trigger, I really liked the P365, so much so, I may try again. It's called a learning disability.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.