1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my new Sig Tacpac Nitron Rail. It joins three of its brothers in my 1911 family. Welcoming the Sig are it's oldest brother, the Kimber Classic Custom Target. The 2nd oldest is the STI Spartan (in 9mm... he's the little guy). Thrid in line is the S&W Performance Center 1911 (not sure... this one might be a girl because it's so purty).

Haven't shot the Sig yet, but hoping to soon. First impressions are that it's a tight, well made pistol. This is honestly the ONLY 1911 I have that I have had to use a bushing wrench to turn the bushing in the slide. The slide to frame fit is tight, and there appears to be no play in the barrel at all during lock up. The rear of the slide mates well to the frame as well, and I like the aggressive checkering. Not overly thrilled with the 6.5 lb trigger pull, but I'm sensing this may lighten up some as it's brooken in. And, I can always polish some parts to smooth things up a bit in the future. If it's a keeper, I may switch out the trigger to a short Greider model, as I like shorter triggers in general on the 1911. As a side note, this is my first 1911 with a firing pin safety.

I will say, I like that each of these 1911s has something of their own "niche" in my lineup. The Kimber is a nice "classic" enhanced 1911. The STI is a great 9mm shooter. The S&W is definitely the decked out looker with a precise feel, and the Sig appears to be a no-nonsense "down to business" pistol. Looking forward to taking it out and seeing what it can do.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Good luck with your new Sig. I have mine for a a few years. I found this gun to be very accurate it will put holes inside of holes on targets.Mine came with the laser sight. I upped the grips.

Mi[/URL

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like we have the same package. Mine came with the laser, holster, two mags, case, and loading tool. Although, I'll probably never use the laser and may, in face, end up selling it to buy a streamlight instead (which I believe would be more useful than a laser).

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did take the Sig out and shot it side by side with my S&W PC1911, and made a brief write-up about the experience in the blog below. I didn't do much shooting, but the Sig ran fine even with my 200gr SWC loads (which some 1911s don't digest well). Out of 9 side by side groups I shot with each, the S&W had the smaller group size 5 times and the Sig 4 times. What impressed me the most was the distribution of shots with the Sig; it was comparable with the S&W. The Sig's trigger, I feel, is keeping me from getting the most performance out of it right now. I'm going to do a little work on my end (meaning switch out the trigger for a Greider short model, and do some very minor polishing of parts) to see if I can lighten/smooth things up a bit. I may also drop it off at a local smith who is known for good work.

I suspect that if I can get the Sig's trigger to a nice crisp 3 1/2 lb. break, it may run neck and neck with the S&W. Stay tuned; this will all likely occur within the next month.

http://martowski.wordpress.com/2013/12/20/sig-nitron-1911-can-it-hang-with-the-sw-pc1911/

·
Registered
213 Posts
I did take the Sig out and shot it side by side with my S&W PC1911, and made a brief write-up about the experience in the blog below. I didn't do much shooting, but the Sig ran fine even with my 200gr SWC loads (which some 1911s don't digest well). Out of 9 side by side groups I shot with each, the S&W had the smaller group size 5 times and the Sig 4 times. What impressed me the most was the distribution of shots with the Sig; it was comparable with the S&W. The Sig's trigger, I feel, is keeping me from getting the most performance out of it right now. I'm going to do a little work on my end (meaning switch out the trigger for a Greider short model, and do some very minor polishing of parts) to see if I can lighten/smooth things up a bit. I may also drop it off at a local smith who is known for good work.

I suspect that if I can get the Sig's trigger to a nice crisp 3 1/2 lb. break, it may run neck and neck with the S&W. Stay tuned; this will all likely occur within the next month.

http://martowski.wordpress.com/2013/12/20/sig-nitron-1911-can-it-hang-with-the-sw-pc1911/
Thanks for the write up! I was drooling over the SW PC because it looks so damn awesome, but I just couldn't justify the price difference because honestly, I'm a firearm newb :) I even went so far as to buy grips that look similar to the PC Smith :D

I'm glad to hear your experience with the Sig is more positive and closer to the SW PC than not. I look forward to reading more when you get done.

Thanks!

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No problem. I'm definitely going to get the trigger pull lightened, first likely by buying an extra sear spring and tweaking it and, if that doesn't get me what I want, taking it to a local smith and having him work it. I may actually just have him work it to make sure the sear and hammer are at the right angles and polished as needed anyway. Will definitely post more info when I get that worked out, as I'm interested to see what the Sig will do with a nice trigger pull.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts