1911Forum banner

sight change on 1911

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  1927A1 
#1 ·
I have a S/A 1911A1 loaded .45 and it came with the stock Novak rear sight.(non adj). Will the Smith pistol sight fit in the same manner as the Novak? or does the slide have to be cut? The smith has the adjustment for the elevation and windage and that is what I am looking for. Any other sights that you know of that are adj. for el/win that are also good replacements? As it is now the gun shoots to low and to the left.
thanks
1927A1

#2 ·
1927A1:
If you are referring to the Smith Enterprise rear sight, it will not fit in the existing Novak dovetail cut. Machining is required, as the Smith Enterprise has similar dovetail as the Bomar.

An MMC adjustable rear sight maybe an easier route, it will fit in the Novak dovetail.

Please don't get this wrong but have you had others shoot the gun to see if they get the same result?

Good luck.

#4 ·
Low and left sounds almost like a trigger slap. Not a big deal, I shot low and left when I started with 1911s too.

Have someone else shoot the gun before you decide to change sights. It's a lot cheaper to work on trigger control by dryfiring. If the result is the same, you can adjust the stock Novaks for windage with a brass punch.

#8 ·
Yeah, snow's a hassle...I use an old blanket, just tossed out to 3:00, with the closer edge at about 6'.
I couldn't wait 'til all the snow dries up...not that patient...

You can try stakin' a couple pieces of rebar at the ends of the blanket you'll wind up with a reversed L shape and most of your empties right there...Then all you gotta' do is fold it up with the cases inside and you'll look like Santa on the way back to the "sleigh"...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

MWLWN LABE!

#9 ·
Thanks again guys.
right now its 4 degs. outside and dark. I am getting inpatient with the snow and cold. We have had snow on the ground here since thanksgiving with only one week without. Then last saturday bang,8". At least I have other guns to shoot that don't spew out the brass.Anybody else got a Ruger 44mag SBH ?

1927A1

#10 ·
I have been thru your problem in the past. If you are consistently putting all your rounds somewhere other than point of aim at 25 yards, and don't have a high level of dedication to totally exaust trigger control questions, by all means get the excellent MMC adjustable rear sight which you will easily be able to zero for your personal point of impact etc. I have used MMCs for LE duty guns for a while, and the only drawback, if it could even be called one, is that the MMC sight adjustment wrench is a very rare size, so you definitely don't want to loose it. Otherwise, it's a nice sight, and can even be special ordered with a stainless base to matche a stainless slide. MMC also offers tritium, which is an option you should consider if the pistol has any use other than target/plinking. Good Luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.