1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used the sight markers or paint on their sights? I'm looking to use some on some plain 1991 standard steel sights as well as on a front post of a ghost ring. I'm mostly looking for the night sight kind. Any suggestions?
TomP

·
Registered
812 Posts
Go to the H/W store and get some appliance touch up (white) . Use this as a base coat. When dry! Color with with your favorite nail polish.(I mean wifes favorite....Just gets some)I used a blaze orange for 99cent a bottle @ the drug store . Both will remove with Brake clean, but not afected by normal cleaning . Good luck ROFI

P.S. Some hobby stores have glow in the dark paint again, to make your own night sights

·
Registered
366 Posts
I bought the brightest orange I could find at Wal Mart for my Ruger 22/45. After 25,000 rounds & 15 months it still shines after Gun Scrubber & Hoppes #9 usage.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Don't laugh....

I keep a white crayola crayon in my range bag
for the white dots on my millits. The dots are actually sunken so I take the crayon and rub across them. Then I take my thumb and sort of push it in. It's like grouting tile.
Looks really good and my sights are always bright white.

Tony G.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK...Thanks Tony

Thanks all, I think I'm gonna try the Ghost Glow Any thoughts?
My wifes nail polish is mostly red based, nothing good for sights. May get some to try on one gun.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
I've used Brite Site. It did not hold up for long at all so I would not recommend it. The nail polish sounds like it would do great.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Originally posted by TomP:
OK...Thanks Tony

Thanks all, I think I'm gonna try the Ghost Glow Any thoughts?
My wifes nail polish is mostly red based, nothing good for sights. May get some to try on one gun.
I used it on my SA UC hicap. Took a few tries to figure out the best application method. Mine had recessed holes for the dots:

I braced the gun so that it would stand vertically on it's muzzle (unloaded of course). Using a toothpick, I'd dab enough paint in to halfway fill the hole. Let it set overnight to cure then repeated the application the next morning.

I actually ended up with a raised bump of sightpaint doing it this way and the longer curing time made it hold up much longer - looked pretty good really. I don't generally apply solvents/oils to the sights when I clean and the paint was still in place when I sold the pistol the following year.

Good luck,

Mac

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
The crayon trick works really well, if the sights have dimples in them. The one thing to watch out for is heat -- fire the gun fast and a bunch, and the crayon will melt and the dot will run out of your front sight! For a more controlled, slow-fire range session, it works great.

I just got some Gold model paint (.99 cents at Walmart) and used it for a dot on a front sight. So far so good, and it is really bright in sunlight.

I've used white and green BrighSights paint, but I really don't care for the green. It just isn't bright at all. The white is OK, but I can't tell any difference in it compared to model paint or fingernail polish.

------------------
Byron Simpson

1 - 11 of 11 Posts