1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took my new Stainless II out for a fun day at the range. As a former (and current) Glock man, I'm used to the Glock sight picture - cover the target rather than posting the target. I must admit I always learned to post the target (rest target on front blade), so learning to cover was a new thing several years ago.

When I started firing with the Kimber, it was hitting center but low...as I shifted to a more covered sight picture, the rounds starting coming in.

Question: Is this common with Kimbers? It seemed I really had to cover the target high, almost aiming over the target area (6" circle @ 15 yards).

Any thoughts or comments appreciated...thanks.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
sight picture

I'm not familiar with the terms you mentioned as far as "covering" the target or "posting" but, if you have to cover the target with your weapon as you say by holding your sights on the top of the target using "Kentucky windage" then that's obviously no good for you. You wouldn't want to completely cover your target with your gun so you cant see it. I believe if your target shooting you would at least want to use a 6 o'clock hold where as your sights are right at the bottom of the target centered at the 6 o'clock position and your rounds would be zeroed to hit the center of your target, providing that you had adjustable sights. Or combat shooting where you want to hold on center where your sights would be centered on the target and your rounds would hit where your sights are placed on the target. Which again, is what should be the case with factory fixed sights. I doubt this helped you any, but good luck anywho.

·
Registered
29 Posts
sighting in

had same problem when i bought my tactical pro II,called kimber they
said to send in my slide probally has wrong front sight. it came back a week later with the right front sight and all is good .

·
Registered
197 Posts
What your overall comments are addressing is the difference between American and European design and theory about sighting and sight picture.

American designed weapons are suppose to hit a POI with the X target on top of the front sight. On the other hand, European designed sight systems are suppose to hit a POI with the top of the front sight COVERING the X target.

If this explanation is not clear look at it this way. If one sights a European designed sight system using the standard American sighting technique, it will generally shoot low. If one uses an American designed sight with the European technique it will generally shoot high.

However, POI varies with the type of bullets one uses and a host of other factors. Weight of the bullet seems to be the dominant factor, but every bullet and weapon combination is a law unto itself. You didn't say what weight bullet you were using in your Kimber, but I suspect it was probably 185 grain. I suspect if you use 230 grain it will hit POI using the American sighting technique.

I've never fired a Glock, but the POI versus sight picture that you describe is typical of the European design using the European technique.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts