1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Knowing from past experience that the MGW 1911 sight adjustment tool does not work properly with the standard Kimber fixed sights, does anyone have personal experience with the Meprolight Univeral Sight Installation Tool shown on page 255 of Brownells #56 catalog. Since Kimber owns Mepro, I'm hoping that this sight tool will adjust/remove/install Kimbers fixed sights. Any information would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
col132, in the Jan/Feb 2004 issue of American Handgunner (pg.100) there is an ad for a new universal sight tool that looks really good. I called the company (PI,Inc.; 215-969-8886; [email protected]) and spoke with Bernie Small, who told me more about the product. It was specifically designed with Kimbers in mind (front and rear sights) and will work with SIGs, Glocks, etc. The tool, which has a built-in jig/vice (with Delrin contact surfaces) to hold the slide, is difficult to describe, but I'm sure that Bernie will be glad to send you an e-mail with a photo. The final price hasn't been set, but you can buy them now for a very reasonable amount. They aren't nearly as expensive as they look. I sent my check in for one today. I think that this product will go over big time.

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
The problem with adjusting Kimber sights isn't necessarily that the tool won't fit.........an MGW will fit over the slide and sight of a fixed Kimber sight. The problem is the sights are in sooooooooo tight. Supposedly, Kimber uses a pneumatic or hydraulic press to put the sights in and the fit is extremely tight. Some can be moved but some just won't budge. There was a post a while ago in the Gunsmithing section with pictures where one of the smiths had to mill the sight in half to get it out so he could replace it.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hjk, thanks for the reminder. There is also a PI, Inc. sight adjustment tool in Brownells catalog, but figured the Kimber/Meprolight connection might be a better place to start. I will give the PI mover a second look.

Kruzr, as you stated, the slide will fit into the MGW pusher properly. My problem is that the part that actually needs pushing (the dovetail area) is too low for the pusher to make contact with. If you move the pusher back slightly (to the higher part of the sight, not the dovetail area), it will make contact, but, it puts the sight in a bind in the dovetail cut when trying to push it out. I actually forced one out this way once, but in the process I raised a small amount of metal on the front corner of the dovetail which was caught in the bind. I know, pretty stupid, but I really, really, wanted to know what his series II stuff looked like first hand. Would have been as well off with the punch and hammer method.

It might be worth a phone call to Spokane or LAPD SWAT to see if they'd tell me what they were using. Surely, neither dept would buy a gun that they had to send back to Kimber to adjust the sights for.

Thanks for the replies men.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I purchased the PII sight adjustment tool from Mr Small and would like to share my experiences.

First and foremost, Mr Small is an absolutely top notch man. He is forthright and honest, and we had an extensive conversation about the Kimber sight problems. He told me that he had tried his sight adjustment tool on his Kimber and it did indeed work. Based on this observation I bought the tool directly from him.

The tool arrived within two days. It is extremely high quality, and the machining (sp?) on it is first rate. I immediately tried it on my Kimber Pro CDP and lo and behold, the sight would not budge for all the tea in China. I think the sealing compound used under the sights is simply too tight, and the weapon was still shooting to the right.

However, since the tool is such high quality, and since it can be used on any number of other sights, I elected to keep the tool.

As a postscript, I took my gun to a gunsmith and he whacked at the sight until it moved. Got it sighted in perfectly now; best five bucks I think I've ever spent! Since he got the sight loosened to the point that it can now be adjusted, I'd be willing to bet dollars to donuts that it would work on this Kimber just fine.

Yeah, it's kind of pricey, but it is very high quality and will work on any number of gunsights.

Hope this helps.

Mike

·
Registered
41 Posts
I want to also comment on the quality aand usefulness of the PI product. I have the PI 500 which has functioned perfectly for me on several guns. I have not encountered one of those "welded" sights yet (I am told the Kimbers are the worst) but for Glocks, Paras and my one Kimber it is a fine tool, well made and very functional.

$125 isn't too bad for a real universal sight tool and Bernie's product is the real deal.

And Bernie is a heckuva guy who will bend over backward to make sure you are happy with his product.

·
Registered
937 Posts
When using this tool, how do you determine when the sights are centered?

Also, for guns with front dovetailed sights, will it install them too?

Thanks,
Brian

1 - 8 of 8 Posts