1911Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my Kobra finally arrives, my first 1911, I will have a couple of tasks to perform before I can really enjoy shooting it--cleaning and lubing the firearm, and sighting it in. I have never done a take down on a 1911, and I have never had to sight a pistol in (not like this anyway with the locktite and all. I must confess I'm a bit nervous about the sighting in part. I have some questions:

1) What would be the best ammo to use (Brand, grain, velocity)?

2) What would be the best type of target to use?

3) What would be the best type of rest to use?

Thanks in advance, Theo :)

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
T:
1) Use the ammo you intend to use most of the time (especially if you intend to use it for carry).

2) Plain white - (I usually flip the targets over), so you can easily see where the hits are going on the paper.

3) Not necessary...unless you intend to use a rest every time you shoot your pistol (not). Sight it in just like you normally shoot your pistol.

Keep in mind that this is a relatively simple procedure to perform as all you are really setting is the windage as elevation is fixed with Combat Pyramid Night Sights.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
KB said it perfect! Can't get better advice than that!

When I sighted in my Kobra, the really hard part was putting it down to let the loctite dry! I shot a few rounds, got the sight where I wanted it, backed the screw out carefully, making sure not to move the sight, added the loctite and screwed it down. Then to make sure the sight didn't drift, I had to put the gun away and just shoot others. I waited a full 24 hours before shooting the Kobra again, and it was hard to wait that long!

Congrats on your purchase. As far as takedown is concerned, there are many good sites on the Internet with instructions. This one is pretty good: http://www.m1911.org/full_striping.htm

·
Premium Member
20,440 Posts
Wish I would have had Byron's problem! The instructions said you'd have plenty of time to make adjustments after adding the LocTite. Apparently, whoever wrote them didn't take our dry heat into consideration. That sucker became one with the slide in no time! Oh well, shooting a little left isn't bad with a gun as nice as this one! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AZ, that's what I'm worried about. LOL. The Locktite drying before I have it where I want it. Thanks for the advice guys.

Theo :)

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would any of you have a recommendation for a good .45 defense ammo? I bet nobody has an opinion on ammo! :biglaugh:

·
Registered
462 Posts
Theophorus said:
Would any of you have a recommendation for a good .45 defense ammo? I bet nobody has an opinion on ammo! :biglaugh:

Theo,

Personally, I favor the 230 Gr. Federal Hydrashoks (has proven street records). I also like the 185 Gr. Winchester Silvertips.

These continue to run reliably though my gun. With the rumored demise of the Hydrashok, I would like to try some other defensive rounds. Remington Golden Sabers and Corbon Pow'rballs are on my next to test list. Perhaps I'll find a new favorite :).

There are many good 45 ACP defensive rounds out there. I would recommend that when you settle on a defensive round, make sure that it will run reliably in your gun...that above everything else.

Just my two cents...

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I believe most of my concern is due to the fact that I am dealing with the unknown--doing something I've never done before. I'm gonna be damn nervous when I squirt that Locktite in--"Ok, this is it." I may be making a mountain out of a mole hill, but I always feel better when I am well educated and ready to deal with possible "issues" that might arise.

Thanks again, guys. :)

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I've been running 200gr Hornady XTP hollow points through my Kobra with great results. Don't know their true "street" results, but they are very accurate and feed fine in my Kobra.

·
Premium Member
20,440 Posts
After carrying HydraShoks for years, I switched to 230g Winchester Ranger RA45T's last recently. They have proven very dependable in all my 1911's...4", 4.25", and 5" pistols.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Theophorus said:
When my Kobra finally arrives, my first 1911, I will have a couple of tasks to perform before I can really enjoy shooting it--cleaning and lubing the firearm, and sighting it in. I have never done a take down on a 1911, and I have never had to sight a pistol in (not like this anyway with the locktite and all. I must confess I'm a bit nervous about the sighting in part. I have some questions:

1) What would be the best ammo to use (Brand, grain, velocity)?

2) What would be the best type of target to use?

3) What would be the best type of rest to use?

Thanks in advance, Theo :)
Theo, here's what I did:

1) What I carry (230 gr. HydraShok)

2) I used a standard heavy paper target. However, I flipped it over and drew several sets of "crosshairs" (vertical line intersecting horizontal line, each about 4" long) on the back with a marker. I used the intersection of the lines as the aim point. I found it more precise that a bullseye.

3) I used a rolled up beach towel on a bench.

Have fun!

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
That's is my biggest problem with my Kobra. I just don't like having a set screw and Loc-Tite holding my rear sight on. Iron sights should be staked in place to eliminate the possiblity of recoil shaking the sight loose. Otherwise, quite a nice 1911.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sights

All:

With respect to the sights, I have used locktite on older cars (have a 69 Mustang GT project) and it holds well - but you can still (with some effort) free up treated screws. Is this the case with the sights?

I am not worried about it coming lose from shooting (has this happened to anyone?) but rather am curious, if you needed to change the sighting - could'nt you back it out and re-set it as desired?

Thanks!
Adam

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
AJ:
Apply enough heat to the area and it will break loose. As to how to apply it...there are plenty of opinions here on how to accomplish that.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
That's good to know, Keith. I'd hate to have it be a little off and not be able to move the sights again. Would a hairdryer do?

Andy

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
1. Place slide in padded vise.

2. Get a spare Allen wrench of the right size.

3. Place wrench in screw socket, hold it there w/a pair of insulated pliers.

4. Apply torch heat to allen wrench while applying pressure to unscrew.

Should only take a few seconds.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts